Window switch popping out?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 07:56 PM
SkipSauls
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Window switch popping out?

I'm not sure how common this is, but a couple of searches on the forum didn't turn up anything similar. My driver-side front window switch (cab) will often pop out when raising the window. It doesn't appear that anything is broken, and I can pop it back in, but it will come out the next time anything more than very gentle pressure is used.

I'm sure the dealer can fix/repair it, but I hate visiting them unless it's something major. If anyone knows what to check, modify, or what magic incantations are needed to fix it, I'd appreciate hearing about them.

Thanks!
Old 06-20-2016, 09:38 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

The dealer will swap out the entire switch panel assembly. It's warranty and they must send the unit back to PCNA and in some cases it goes back to PAG for diagnostics.... I saw hundreds of such parts awaiting shipment to Germany at the Regional Dist Center and Training Facilities. Also, in my own case I had just the slightest imperfection on the chrome strip on my drivers window control switch, and the whole panel was replaced. They usually don't do individual switches. So I would say live with it until you have some other warranty work to justify a visit to the dealer. There's no magic involved, just modern manufacturing methods....
Old 06-21-2016, 03:47 AM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

The wires aren't long enough to change the switch without taking the door apart, at least that was my experience when my passenger switch failed.
Old 06-21-2016, 10:42 AM
SkipSauls
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the info. I guess this is one of those things where Pelican or another vendor will offer a repair kit in another 5-10 years.
Old 06-21-2016, 11:01 AM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by SkipSauls
Thanks for the info. I guess this is one of those things where Pelican or another vendor will offer a repair kit in another 5-10 years.
There is a console switch repair kit, but don't believe there is a window switch-specific repair kit. As I mentioned prior, my understanding is that a "repair" kit would consist of a replacement of the switch panel in the door, which is a very simple procedure once the inner-door trim panel is removed. I've done DIY posts on the door panel removal and replacement if you're interested -- but at this point in time I would say just have the dealer do it under warranty, unless you really can't stand going there -- I would guess the switch panel is likely in the $150 USD range (maybe more, maybe less, my guess based on the price of the center console switch box/switches)! LOL
Old 06-21-2016, 12:16 PM
BLK991CAB
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Oddly enough, the exact same thing happened to my c4s over the weekend. Guess I'm off to the dealer for a new switch!
Old 06-21-2016, 10:04 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,722 Likes on 1,463 Posts

Hot glue...

Just kidding. :-) Looking at a used 991 that has this exact problem. It's out of warranty, so I won't just be taking it to the dealer and saying 'fix it', likely try to figure out exactly what part is the problem and repair or replace it myself.

And plenum, thanks for the door panel removal info, very helpful.
Old 11-02-2017, 01:39 PM
Sharr2112
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down $438 fix???!!!

Dealership in Plano TX wants $438 to fix this tiny plastic part. Classic Porsche - a 2mm tab that breaks easily requires an entirely new window lift unit and taking apart the door.

Really disappointed (2 cars in a row now) with Porsche plastics. I'm 3 months and less than 2k miles out of warranty.

Does anyone have a hack for this? I know that I can ever-so-gently put it back in place and use it carefully. But I'm thinking a couple drops of glue on these white plastic arms? And once again - shame on Porsche - I know 30 year old Hondas with better plastics than my 2013 991 CS. My '08 Cayman was even worse - by the time I sold it you couldn't read half the buttons on the climate/stereo.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

$438 piece of cheap Porsche plastic!
Old 11-02-2017, 01:45 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

I’ve replaced both driver and passenger window switch units... it requires door card removal, which isn’t that bad, but if you have plastic doors instead of leather, getting in there will irritate the door enough the trim will start to bend and come up, and you’ll end up needing all new door cards which are like $3k.

So have the dealership do it so when the door cards bend up, you can make them replace those for free.
Old 11-02-2017, 01:49 PM
Sharr2112
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the quick response, Dewinator. My interior is leather stone/agate, so maybe I will give it a whirl myself and save about $240 in labor. Still really bitter...
Old 11-02-2017, 02:36 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Pretty much all you do is disconnect the battery so the airbag doesn’t blow up, use one of those plastic trim tools to wedge a couple covers off (careful with the little front black triangle one as it has long skinny plastic hooks), then take like 6 or 7 star screws off and then pop the whole card up. There are directions with photos online. Once you do that you can pop out the old switch and connect the wires to the new switch.

The only reason you can’t do it without taking the door apart are the wires aren’t long enough to plug the switch in when it’s not in the door yet. One extra inch of wire and it would be a 30 second job.
Old 04-28-2018, 12:20 AM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 163 Posts

This happened to me today. Driver's door window switch popped out. I'm out of warranty so will DIY. There are certain things that Porsche simply cannot seem to master: valve guides (until the water-cooled era), head studs (until the 964), and window switches (forever). I replaced the window switches in my 911SC and 993 multiple times. Now the 991.

If anyone has a fix that doesn't involve buying an entire new switch assembly, please post it.
Old 04-28-2018, 12:39 AM
Dewinator
Drifting

I’ve had to replace the assemblies on both sides. They suck.
Old 04-28-2018, 10:12 AM
megatron991
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a used switch panel from eBay then popped out the new switch cap and clicked it into place. Still working great! I bought some replacement switch caps online at amazon for cayenne but they did not fit the 991.

update 2021: the switch does occasionally still pop out after about 2-3 years of working fine. Probably need to replace the whole thing

Last edited by megatron991; 07-11-2021 at 12:22 AM.
Old 04-28-2018, 11:13 AM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,879 Likes on 1,359 Posts

There will be 991's in junkyards by now, that's where you will want to source a window switch unit on the cheap and out of warranty. Gluing plastics rarely works for very long.
The following users liked this post:
Gonzalo38 (09-06-2019)

Quick Reply: Window switch popping out?