Sponsored by:

Germany vacation & 2 bucket lists Checked 😀

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 03:18 PM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Germany vacation & 2 bucket lists Checked 😀

Hi all, just got back from a 12 day vacation to Germany and to visit our daughter and son-in-law who moved there for work in March. We had to remain flexible for their work schedules and of course the weather. But at the outset I had two things I wanted to do: drive on the Nurburging and visit the Porsche Museum. Both were accomplished and I wanted to share a few details for those thinking of doing something similar. And I realize much of this info is available via Google or other research, but I hope to add a few lessons learned details. And to be brief, as this may not be the best forum for it.
The Ring has "open driving" called "Tourist drives" Mon-Fri late in the day (1700-1900L is typical but check their website). It is $29e per lap and you must exit after each lap (no high speed strait away to keep going). I purchased a 4 lap card for $105e. We did 2 laps in our daughter's Mini Cooper S (yea I know, I told her to get a VW or Audi as they can't afford Pcars yet) and the brakes were really hot so we pulled off into the parking lot. And that is where my 16 year old son struck up a conversation as he was taking pictures with his 35mm camera. A convo with 3 UK guys that were regulars to the Ring and they had a 991 GT3, a GT4, and an R8 GT. And they offered us rides! My son chose the R8 and of course I chose the GT3. My wife declined the GT4 as she gets motion sick and it was not her thing. WOW! It was the highlight of the trip. Only some light rain half way around kept us from breaking 7:45! Unbelievable. My driver, Mark Anderson, who was driving in the SPA the next day, has over 1000 laps at the ring. He does about 100/yr for the last 10+ years. All three guys are good friends with Sabine Scmidt and stay with her and leave their cars with her Apr-Oct. Needless to say, it was F$&@ing awesome! Below are pics of the Audi my son is in, and then a pic of me with Mark by his GT3 after the lap (hence the huge grin on my face). We also made it to Zuffenhausen (suburb of Stuttgart for the uninformed like me)! We wanted to do the museum, the Porsche Drive program, and the factory tour. Unfortunately due to our last minute decision, the factory tour was filled as were any sports cars. So we got a Macan Turbo for an hour ($69e complete minus gas). What a hoot, it drives like a sports car (I forgot it has the PDK) and sits up a bit higher than the 991! We did 210km/hr for a short period and it was so sweet. This experience and the way we were treated was very nice. You can do 1 hr, 3 hrs, 1 day, 3 days, or a week! Prices vary ! The museum is a 2-3 hour exhibit and very nicely done. We didn't see a 918 but they had one under cover in the parking garage which is to the right of the museum front and under neath (we had a hard time finding it! We had a nice lunch at the Boxenstopp at the museum. The museum was advertising that it was staying open for the 24 hours leading up to the LeMans start (Fri 0900- Sat 0900). There is a big dealership right across the street and they welcome you to visit there too. The factory is also directly across the street. And as it turned out there was a cancellation so we had to chose between that and the museum. We did the museum. Below is also a pic of me and my son after the Macan drive. Great trip. Bucket lists checked. If I ordered a car, I would pick it up there and get the factory tour. Maybe someday.

Last edited by RobC4sX51; 06-21-2016 at 06:41 AM.
Old 06-20-2016, 04:09 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,444 Likes on 2,251 Posts

doesn't get much better than that does it?
Old 06-20-2016, 06:19 PM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
doesn't get much better than that does it?
Sure doesn't Larry! My only regret is not attempting to capture the whole Ring lap in the GT3 on my phone video. But then again I was holding on (pushing back in the seat, hard!). And I think the factory tour would have been more interesting and unique than the museum. Next time. There will be a next time.
Old 06-20-2016, 06:27 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,444 Likes on 2,251 Posts

Originally Posted by RobC4sX51
Sure doesn't Larry! My only regret is not attempting to capture the whole Ring lap in the GT3 on my phone video. But then again I was holding on (pushing back in the seat, hard!). And I think the factory tour would have been more interesting and unique than the museum. Next time. There will be a next time.
Ah the Ring is unique ... it just keeps going and going ... and the turns and altitude changes only add to the challenge!

I agree the factory tour is well worth it if you can get into it ...

definitely a bucket list item for any 911 enthusiast - ED, factory tour, museum, Ring and Spa ...
Old 06-20-2016, 06:44 PM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Received 180 Likes on 95 Posts

Looks like a very memorable event for you, wife and son in law. That's what life is all about, the EXPERIENCE! You will have a memory of this day forever. Congrats!!!

BTW - I seem to remember a popular 991 review video of a yellow GT3 that was done by an enthusiast in Europe. Looks very similar to the one you got into.

If I remember correctly he was an exceptional driver.
Old 06-20-2016, 07:17 PM
X2Board
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 50 Posts

Congrats on checking two items off your bucket list, in one go.

My ED experience is something that I will always cherish, and I hope that I can do another one some day, before my ticket is punched.

Everyone that loves German cars should visit Germany, at least once, it would be worth the trip, just to check out the three main car manufacturer museums.

The excitement of seeing this sign ...

Old 06-20-2016, 07:36 PM
trucheli
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Congratulations! I know the feeling! I would have loved to pick up my GTS in Germany but ED on a Macan GTS is in the future. I have done the factory tour and museum and after seeing the way P cars were built I decided that I needed to own one someday. My dream came true last year and I love every minute I get in the car. I love Germany and I can't wait to get back. Prost!
Old 06-20-2016, 07:39 PM
trucheli
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

deleted double posting

Last edited by trucheli; 06-20-2016 at 10:54 PM.
Old 06-20-2016, 07:55 PM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Thanks for sharing such a great story! Maybe someday!
Old 06-21-2016, 02:25 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts

I would love to do this one day. Sounds like a great time.
Jim
Old 06-21-2016, 07:30 PM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the comments. The Ring was definitely cool, but especially because of the unexpected GT3 lap. My daughter & son-in-law had to work last Tue & Wed (14/15 June) when we went to Nurburging and Stuttgart, but they live in Trier and can go another time. And I left them a card with 2 laps remaining for the Ring. The museum atmosphere is also very special if you are an enthusiast. We drive very special cars and it was really cool to be where they were born and continue to be made -and improved in my opinion. No substitute!
Old 06-21-2016, 08:28 PM
fjpdds
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 14 Posts

Cool story!

Quick Reply: Germany vacation & 2 bucket lists Checked 😀