Sponsored by:

Disappointed with my GTS.

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 12:32 AM
drsubie
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Julian Thompson
thank you - what is a DSC suspension please? And will any of these things stop the transmission kicking down in manual? That would be fab.
It's a replacement plug n play suspension module that TPC racing came out with... just do a search on "991 DSC suspension" and the thread will show up. It's a reasonably priced upgrade, and an incremental improvement.

These little plug in upgrades (Access Port programmer, DSC module, tires etc...) are well worth trying before you decide it's just not the car for you--you can always take them off and sell them and get some $ back...

I would also do a cat-back exhaust (AWE switchpath is a popular one) to upgrade the 'visceral' excitement factor...
Old 06-18-2016, 06:46 AM
Julian Thompson
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ah I see thanks for that - I'll be sure to take a look.

My car already has a full Klien inconel exhaust including 200 cell cats so it sounds good. It just doesn't feel quite right!
Attached Images  
Old 06-18-2016, 06:49 AM
Julian Thompson
Racer

Another exhaust **** shot haha!
Attached Images  
Old 06-18-2016, 06:50 AM
Julian Thompson
Racer

Inconel looks awesome when it gets hot!!
Attached Images  
Old 06-18-2016, 06:53 AM
Julian Thompson
Racer

Will look into these other upgrades today and perhaps also email my ohlins contact, too, as we were chatting about that before the car arrived and didn't take it any further at that time.
Old 06-18-2016, 07:20 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 229 Likes on 123 Posts

I hate to break it to you but you have bought the wrong car. I understand what you are saying. I bought my 991 very intentionally because this time around I wanted a purely road car that would behave itself somewhat like a modern road car. I wanted something that looked 911ish and went fast and made great sounds and handled well and comported itself with grace on the way out to dinner with my wife, who got to where she wouldn't even ride with me in my previous Turbo. (it had a few mods.)

I knew what I was getting into and chose it willingly.

I suggest that if you still have the RS that you relegate it to pure track duty, use the GTS for some backcountry road work and other civilized duties and be a happy man.

The car has a 4" longer wheelbase than the 997, Julian, and God knows how much longer than the 964. It is not going to ever feel like what you want. They refined the 964 greatly with the 993. Then they took it up a notch with the 996/997 pair, then did so again this time around. It's not the GTS part or your tires; it's the fact that the modern customer wants what I described at the beginning.

Good luck with it.
Old 06-18-2016, 07:42 AM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
I hate to break it to you but you have bought the wrong car. I understand what you are saying. I bought my 991 very intentionally because this time around I wanted a purely road car that would behave itself somewhat like a modern road car. I wanted something that looked 911ish and went fast and made great sounds and handled well and comported itself with grace on the way out to dinner with my wife, who got to where she wouldn't even ride with me in my previous Turbo. (it had a few mods.)

I knew what I was getting into and chose it willingly.

I suggest that if you still have the RS that you relegate it to pure track duty, use the GTS for some backcountry road work and other civilized duties and be a happy man.

The car has a 4" longer wheelbase than the 997, Julian, and God knows how much longer than the 964. It is not going to ever feel like what you want. They refined the 964 greatly with the 993. Then they took it up a notch with the 996/997 pair, then did so again this time around. It's not the GTS part or your tires; it's the fact that the modern customer wants what I described at the beginning.

Good luck with it.
+911
Old 06-18-2016, 08:26 AM
Julian Thompson
Racer

That's a very well rounded argument that I can't do anything other than agree with, fully!

I think I need to see if I can resolve my choice and be pleased with it.

Thanks guys
Old 06-18-2016, 08:56 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
+911

+991
Old 06-18-2016, 08:59 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

That's a very well rounded argument that I can't do anything other than agree with, fully!

I think I need to see if I can resolve my choice and be pleased with it.

Thanks guys
I saw your other post with your new delivery and all the mods you did. There's nothing else you can possibly do that is going to give you a magical love affair with this car. I must say, this is the first disappointment I've seen with a 991 GTS. Either appreciate the car for what it is, or sell it to someone who will. You're looking for magical answers here that don't exist. Good luck.
Old 06-18-2016, 09:13 AM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

I would talk to the dealer about cutting your losses. Most likely, the car is always going to bug you. Surely, for the type of $ you have tied up in this one, you could sell and find a more suitable replacement. Maybe another air cooled, or a GT4? Have you driven a GT4?
Old 06-18-2016, 10:34 AM
steve9
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 33 Posts

Julian sorry to hear of the disappointment. The wet weather performance could well be a function of the Cup2 - they have an EU wet tyre rating of C compared to A for most standard fitment tyres on performance cars (track oriented cars excepted). If they are bad now, they will be worse in the winter when the temperature drops. The P zeros have an A rating and interestingly the other N rated track oriented tyre Dunlop Sportmaxx Race has an A rating. Of course it would be fairly costly to make the swap and still be disappointed. From what you have said though, I think a regular tyre would be more fit for purpose. N rated tyres are limited - I think you only have the option of the ones I mentioned above. If you can deviate from N rating (different opinions on this) then you have a good few options - from my experience of R8 ownership Michelin Pilot Supersport and Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 are good options.

Changing the 5 year old P Zeros on my R8 to the Eagle F1s was the single most noticeable change I have made to the car, and that includes exhaust and other mapping mods. The ride quality, traction, cold and wet weather performance was significantly improved. Cup2 are available for the R8 but most owners in the UK do not fit them as they need a bit of heat to work and are much less competent in the wet. Apologies for referencing a competing car but I think it may be relevant to your issue.

As for not being that rewarding to drive at less than 8 tenths, I really think that's just a function of progress and the modern car. I have a friend here in Northern Ireland with a GT3 and he says the same thing - he puts up with the hard ride, road noise, limited visibility in normal conditions - but it's the times when he is driving at 8+ tenths that more than compensates for the minus points and makes it all worthwhile.

I know you live a long way from where you bought the car, but you could try a dealer demonstrator at least to compare the wet grip; they will all most likely be 991.2 3.0 turbo so when you get back into your own car with the NA engine and Kline exhaust, you may find it more exhilarating. Good luck.
Old 06-18-2016, 11:05 AM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Will look into these other upgrades today and perhaps also email my ohlins contact, too, as we were chatting about that before the car arrived and didn't take it any further at that time.
I've got JRZ RS1. Öhlins are good, but JRZ works better for me.

The problem with the 991 is the amount of rubber between you and the suspension. Get the spherical bearings and GT3 sway bars (you'll need adjustible end links). Also, get 19 inch tyres. The 991 chassis is used in the RSR and the GT3 R race cars. It's a fine chassis with a lot of 'feel' left on the table for the sake of making the car grand tourer. Just get rid of the rubber and dial in your preferred suspension. It's not night and day, but it's close. I'm having a lot fun. Still haven't had a Carrera 'S' pass me in my base car.
Old 06-18-2016, 11:15 AM
Jeff4598
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Have you checked alignment?
Old 06-18-2016, 12:24 PM
Pmorritt
Pro

Received 122 Likes on 67 Posts

Looking at your tyres in the above pics, I'm not surprised you skate in the wet stuff. Pirelli p- zeros!

Quick Reply: Disappointed with my GTS.