Sponsored by:

Disappointed with my GTS.

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 05:42 PM
Julian Thompson
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disappointed with my GTS.

So the gts normally attracts much positive comment but after about 1000 miles in my PDK gts I have to say that I can't get along with it at all.

Firstly, the PDK gearbox kick down in manual mode drives me mad, as I mentioned in my other PDK thread.

Secondly, looking past that, the wet weather performance of the car is very disappointing. Whether this is because I am running Michelin cup tyres or whether it's the chassis is unclear so far but to me the car just feels on tip toes and gives me no confidence.

In the dry, at high revs, on song, it's amazing and quite a raw car - but even here I don't feel that the handling is particularly communicative, even though the sound and throttle response suggests that it should be.

Additionally, at anything other than 8 or 9 tenths the car doesn't feel at all rewarding to drive - shutting my eyes I could be in almost any other quick well made car.

My old 964 rs was far more suggestive of what was happening dynamically - this new car feels like it's just sat there posing expecting me to be in awe of its grip round a dry kink in the road (I am - that bit of the handling is amazing! The g force is face-peeling!) but then for the rest of the time it's just a bit underwhelming to me, if I'm honest.

Honestly I waited ages for this car and I'm so disappointed with it :-(

Could it be those tyres?
Old 06-17-2016, 05:50 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 340 Likes on 209 Posts

Sorry to hear...
I know you don't want to hear this,but you should've gotten a manual. Totally different experience!
Old 06-17-2016, 05:58 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

It sounds like you want a car with a much lower limit so you can play at the edge of it's capabilities without going obsenely fast. The BR-Z/FR-S is probably a great car for that, I've heard it's lots of fun to drive.
Old 06-17-2016, 06:18 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 313 Likes on 191 Posts

Sport Cup 2's aren't known to be the best in the wet... if you're driving on a lot of wet roads (likely given your location) the Pilot Super Sport is likely a much better option.

Let it be noted that you're also comparing a 25 year old 964 RS with a modern 991... if you honestly thought you would get the same experience from the newer car not sure what to tell you.
Old 06-17-2016, 06:34 PM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I felt the same when I was about to buy a GTS. Before wiring the money, I got a chance to test drive a base car in manual. My GTS to be was also manual. I went with the base. The salesman was pissed, but knew he would easily sell the GTS to someone else.

Placed coil overs in the car, spherical bearings, GT3 sway bars, end links. Done. I feel the car. It's no 997 GT3 or a 993, or a 964. But it's the most I can get from this sterile 991 chassis.
Old 06-17-2016, 07:26 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 239 Posts

I have no GTS experience, but SC2's in the wet will get your attention real quick.
Old 06-17-2016, 07:29 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Julian Thompson
So the gts normally attracts much positive comment but after about 1000 miles in my PDK gts I have to say that I can't get along with it at all.

Firstly, the PDK gearbox kick down in manual mode drives me mad, as I mentioned in my other PDK thread.

Secondly, looking past that, the wet weather performance of the car is very disappointing. Whether this is because I am running Michelin cup tyres or whether it's the chassis is unclear so far but to me the car just feels on tip toes and gives me no confidence.

In the dry, at high revs, on song, it's amazing and quite a raw car - but even here I don't feel that the handling is particularly communicative, even though the sound and throttle response suggests that it should be.

Additionally, at anything other than 8 or 9 tenths the car doesn't feel at all rewarding to drive - shutting my eyes I could be in almost any other quick well made car.

My old 964 rs was far more suggestive of what was happening dynamically - this new car feels like it's just sat there posing expecting me to be in awe of its grip round a dry kink in the road (I am - that bit of the handling is amazing! The g force is face-peeling!) but then for the rest of the time it's just a bit underwhelming to me, if I'm honest.

Honestly I waited ages for this car and I'm so disappointed with it :-(

Could it be those tyres?

A new set of tires (for your intended use) and the correct pressure will make a world of difference.

How did you end up with Sport Cups on there anyway??

If that doesn't work, get a car that gives you what you seek.
Old 06-17-2016, 07:44 PM
Julian Thompson
Racer

Thanks for the advice on those tyres that could be the issue couldn't it. I may try the standard wheels and tyres - pirellis I think - and see what that's like.

I would consider swapping out some suspension but I'm concerned that if it doesn't work out I'll be just too far invested to reverse it.

I don't really think in terms of pure age on these cars. The 964rs was very low miles when I used it hard on track and on road and the car danced around and felt light on its feet. It did bite, hard, but you knew it was coming! My Ferrari 360 is like this - it bites too but it loads up and moves around a bit to tell you that things are happening.

At the moment the 991 in the dry is a wall of grip - like PlayStation - I'm there for the ride and to impress myself and passenger with the cornering force but it just feels dead in my hands!

I was going to say maybe it's too heavy but I suppose the gt3 is similar weight and I don't hear any complaints from gt3 users?

Maybe it's just me. :-(

(Or maybe it's just the uk weather at the moment!!! Not good!!!)
Old 06-17-2016, 07:49 PM
Julian Thompson
Racer

A friend of mine who runs a late model 911 advised me to swap out the Pirelli tyres from new so my dealer did this for me. I have the originals though.

He knew I was a keen track driver and suggested that the cup tyres would suit my style of driving better. But in retrospect I'm not sure it worked out!

I shall switch the wheels over the weekend if I get chance and report back with findings.

Actually I might try a tyre pressure adjustment first - what would you guys recommend?

Thanks

J
Old 06-17-2016, 07:52 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Comfort: Tire pressures 31F/34R cold -- 33/36 hot
Old 06-17-2016, 07:57 PM
Jnosol
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts

Hello... 991.1 GTS PDK here. What do you mean by the disappointment of kickdown in manual? Do you mean the downshift or engine brake?

I found that running in normal mode, the PDK is too soft between shift and shifts slower. In sport and sport+, the PDK really shines. By the way, it will learn your driving style over time and shift to your liking.

As for wet performance, you need MPSS for England weather due to wet roads during the warm months. As for weight, these are light compared to anything I've owned from BMW in the past 6yrs. So I can't agree with your comment on the weight of the 991.

FYI, I had manual since I learned how to drive. I know how to heel toe, match rev, etc... PDK is as close to a manual feel to me w/o a 3rd pedal.

I don't thinking replacing your suspension will help you increase the performance of the GTS much. These are well tuned. If you do want suspension, you cannot go wrong with Bilstein Damptronic or Clubsport.

I hope you'll learn to like the car or switch it out. Life is too short to drive a car you don't like. Cheers...
Old 06-17-2016, 07:58 PM
Julian Thompson
Racer

Thank you I'll try those pressures - much appreciated!

money, I got a chance to test drive a base car in manual. My GTS to be was also manual. I went with the base. The salesman was pissed, but knew he would easily sell the GTS to someone else.

Placed coil overs in the car, spherical bearings, GT3 sway bars, end links. Done. I feel the car. It's no 997 GT3 or a 993, or a 964. But it's the most I can get from this sterile 991 chassis.
997s07 is offline Report Post
... In case I do go this route what suspension did you choose?
Old 06-17-2016, 08:06 PM
Julian Thompson
Racer

@jnosol - I only drive in manual mode, in sport plus. However, in order to make sure you don't over-ride your manual gear selection you have to take care not to press the pedal too hard at full power otherwise the kick down switch is engaged and the computer will select the gear it sees fit for maximum acceleration. Fine on the track 99% of the time because you'd probably agree with the computer but on the road that doesn't work for me. (Do you really want 1st gear out of a hairpin on the road?) But I can and am working around that.

These are heavy. All the modern stuff is pretty heavy. But then my Honda blackbird powered caterham 7 weighs 375kg ready to run - with 200bhp on tap that car really does show what mid bend adjustability is all about hahah!!! I really do need to reprogramme my brain that I'm driving a big car! Actually the Cayman is probably more like a 911 than the 911!! Hehe

But yes I know what you mean - the 991 isn't stupid heavy. Maybe it is just tyred up so wide that it lost the feedback. I checked out the front rims on the Ferrari just - even the challenge stradale wheels I have for that are only 7.5j on the front. No wonder the steering feels more alive!
Old 06-17-2016, 08:15 PM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Received 180 Likes on 95 Posts

For low end torque consider an Accessport from TPC racing and driving in manual mode to control shifts. Tom and Jordan at TPC can get you set up. Add on a DSC suspension and you will be grinning!
Old 06-17-2016, 08:20 PM
Julian Thompson
Racer

thank you - what is a DSC suspension please? And will any of these things stop the transmission kicking down in manual? That would be fab.

Quick Reply: Disappointed with my GTS.