Cab owner question...

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 06:32 PM
Twodan
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Rattle/Creak

Originally Posted by woodranch
As a I have had a few Porsches in my past, but never a Cab, I was wondering if roof creaking is normal as is body creaking when going up a ramp or driveway at an angle. I know the body creak is usually normal but just recently I am know hearing in from my Cab roof. If any other owners can chime in I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
I have a 2013 Cab which had a rattle coming from the right front dash area. Dealer returned it to me yesterday telling me the tech tightened an adjusting screw?? where the top meets the windshield area. It was quiet this morning. I can report back in a few days if need be.

Hope this helps, Dan
Old 08-30-2016, 09:15 AM
TAL2GK
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Selo
I think it's "buyer beware" with a Cab of any kind. If it doesn't creak at first, and you have some silent months or years, consider yourself lucky. But at some point it's going to make some noise, probably sooner than later. The dealer might make a feeble attempt or two at finding and fixing it, but ultimately the squeaks and rattles will win. If it's going to drive you crazy, go with a coupe.
My previous car was a BMW Z4 that I purchased new in 2003 and have owned until a month ago. It had zero creaks, rattles, or squeaks. Ever. Although the Z4 was built from the ground up as a convertible (and was later converted to a coupe for some versions) and the 911 is the opposite of that - the 911 roof is about as solid as ragtops go before they are hardtops. Perhaps that works against it for creaks, but I wanted to debunk the theory that all cabs creak.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:58 AM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Received 182 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by NA430GTS
No structural creaking when going over dips. I had some very high frequency rattling on my back right wind deflector and some creaking on the driver window (top down windows up). Very rare though. Top and windows are down 90% of the time in CA.
my wind deflector rattling went away. Driver window creaking turned out to be the drivers seat spring inside the seat lever on the left shoulder. Fixed w a quick shot of WD 40.

Now the back right exhaust area is rattling on occasion. Confused on that one.

Back to the top. In general, I am very careful with opening and closing the top. I activate the process when I'm stopped and rarely moving unless it's a very smooth stretch of road. I have a fear that any lateral/jarring forces that are applied when it's in the process (pot holes, road imperfections) will cause stress and subsequent rattling.

Maybe it helps, maybe not but they do not seem like a solid structure IMO. They seem complex and fragile. I try and treat it as such.
Old 08-30-2016, 11:46 AM
ggreg911
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 89 Posts

15 GTS cab had no noises.... 17 4S cab no noises... I did own a 14 2S with a horribly noisy sunroof thats well documented on here.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:40 PM
commok
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

2015 GTS cab w 5100 miles - rock solid, no noises to interfere w the PSE!
Old 08-31-2016, 01:41 AM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,201 Likes on 579 Posts

2016 GTS cab. Almost 10k miles. I am blown away by how quiet a ride it is, even at way over the speed limit.

Quick Reply: Cab owner question...