Sponsored by:

Targa's

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 07:01 PM
joe 997
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Targa's

I am going to order a Targa or a cab in the next few weeks. My dealer is telling me the their allocation for Targa's ids very limited. i.e. it's easier to get a Turbo S than a Targa. Anyone else hearing this?
Old 06-16-2016, 03:46 AM
KenTO
Burning Brakes

Received 560 Likes on 211 Posts

I walked into the dealer spur of the monument last month and got a Targa order locked in.
Old 06-16-2016, 08:24 AM
budrichard
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Many Sales people. try to get you to purchase what THEY want to sell you.
You may not get a discount on a Targa but you can order one usually.
Maybe "limited" is a lead up to charging more?
Money talks, open up your checkbook and say, "Let's place an order!"-Richard
Old 06-16-2016, 09:18 AM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

joe, since you mentioned that you may be interested in either a Targa or a Cab, I'll go a bit OT . . . I'm a fan of the Cab over the Targa. While there's no question that the Targa is the best looking 991 with the Targa top down, it does have some downsides compared to the Cab imo.

Top down, the Targa is noisier than the Cab, probably because the Targa does not have the Cab's integrated wind blocker. Also, the Targa top cannot be put up or down while the car is moving. That really is a great convenience. There's another related convenience issue which may not be applicable to most people . . . when parking at my house, I reverse into my parking space, backing the car up to a wall. When raising or lowering the Targa top, the rear lid extends about six inches behind the rear bumper. So for someone like me who's reversing up to a wall, it would mean that I would have to back in part way, stop, put the top up, and then continue the rest of the way into my parking spot. I'd need to reverse that start/stop process when pulling out and putting the top down. A bit of a PIA.

Finally, although I'll again admit to the beauty of the top-down Targa, it only gives you a partial open air experience. And why settle for a partial experience when the Cab can give you the whole thing? Just my $0.02!
Old 06-16-2016, 05:00 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'll vote targa. It just looks way way better. Those inconveniences are so minor.
The following users liked this post:
Frykman_991.1 (06-02-2023)
Old 06-16-2016, 05:38 PM
TAGMotorsports
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 429 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by joe 997
I am going to order a Targa or a cab in the next few weeks. My dealer is telling me the their allocation for Targa's ids very limited. i.e. it's easier to get a Turbo S than a Targa. Anyone else hearing this?
I was told the same by a relative who happens to be the GSM at Beverly Hills Porsche.

web: www.TAGMotorsports.com - email: sales@tagmotorsports.com
Authorized Dealer For: HRE, Vossen, TechArt, AWE, Bilstien, KW, Akrapovic, Capristo, Fabspseed, BBI, Vorsteiner, Milltek, 1016 Industries, BBS, Brembo, GMG, H&R, Pirelli, Michelin, Hankook & more.

TechArt & AWE Tuning's #1 Volume Dealer Nationwide
Old 06-16-2016, 07:19 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 100 Posts

My dealer advised me the Targa allocations are very limited. Easier to buy a cab.

That said, IMO the Targa is a much better looking car. To me it looks like a proper 911. It doesn't have the bulbous rear deck making it look like a Beetle that a cab has. However, it is true that in lower the Targa top, you need to be stationary and about six inches of clearance behind you.

I have owned a couple of Cab's including a TT cab. I drove a 991.2 Targa for about an hour with the top down and up. I enjoy the car so much I ordered one.
Old 06-16-2016, 09:24 PM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Received 440 Likes on 234 Posts

We were thinking about getting a Targa to replace my wife's 997 (our first 911 was an '87 Targa), and my salesperson said he had no allocations for a Targa 4 and had one allocation for a Targa 4S in October. He tried to swap a summer Cab allocation for another dealer's Targa allocation, but every dealer he asked just laughed at him. While I agree that Targas look great, I have to disagree with Nick's comment about the Cab's bulbous rear deck. That might have been the case with past 911s, but my 991 Cab is definitely not bulbous.
Old 06-16-2016, 10:41 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 332 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by hinckley
Top down, the Targa is noisier than the Cab, probably because the Targa does not have the Cab's integrated wind blocker.
Is this true? I have never been in a 991 Cab, but my Targa is much quieter in the cabin even at highway speeds than my previous convertibles...the last of which was an Audi TT Roadster. In the TT, even with the windscreen up and the windows down at highway speeds, the wind was bouncing you around pretty good. In my Targa with windows down at highways speeds, its much more docile in the cabin...can even have a conversation...and with the windows up, its quite calm in the cabin. That said, I have found with the Targa at highways speeds with the windows up, its best to crack the window down about an inch as doing so seems to greatly reduce what wind noise there is near your ear that seems to be there a little bit with the windows fully up.
Old 06-17-2016, 10:18 AM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by tgcrun
We were thinking about getting a Targa to replace my wife's 997 (our first 911 was an '87 Targa), and my salesperson said he had no allocations for a Targa 4 and had one allocation for a Targa 4S in October. He tried to swap a summer Cab allocation for another dealer's Targa allocation, but every dealer he asked just laughed at him. While I agree that Targas look great, I have to disagree with Nick's comment about the Cab's bulbous rear deck. That might have been the case with past 911s, but my 991 Cab is definitely not bulbous.
I agree that the 991cab rear deck is not as pronounced as prior models.
Old 06-17-2016, 10:34 AM
c_Gio
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Who wants moles? Coupe sans sunroof all day long. Bonus: lighter, easier to clean, less to creak, less to break.
Old 06-17-2016, 10:52 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
I agree that the 991cab rear deck is not as pronounced as prior models.
Yes and who wants the added weight and complexity of a targa? Topless is where it's at! [Admittedly the targa's look awesome but lets stay on topic]. Getting a targa is as bas as being stuck with the crappy 991.2 vs .1
Old 06-17-2016, 11:21 AM
shake-em-on-down
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bacura
I'll vote targa. It just looks way way better. Those inconveniences are so minor.
Seconded... the gorgeous glass dome that keeps the essential 911 shape, less roof to keep clean and buffed... plus the rarity value; the Targa always turns heads, especially in a nice colour.
The following users liked this post:
Frykman_991.1 (06-02-2023)
Old 06-18-2016, 12:00 AM
911sccab
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

I've owned at least one convertible continuously since 1994. Bought the Targa S and love it. Oh, ordered it in February '15 and slots were hard to get then too.
Old 06-18-2016, 12:15 AM
beaverlake
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

With the 991 cabs, if you put the top down, raise the wind blocker and all the windows you can cruise the interstate at 75 with barely a rustle in the cabin. Talk to your passenger, listen to tunes, etc.

I have been amazed at how quite and wind-free the cab can be. Of course you can lower the windows for a bit more cab experience if you like. At around-town speeds the wind blocker alone or nothing at all works great.

Quick Reply: Targa's