I just returned to the fold...

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 02:55 PM
U-Boat CDR
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I just returned to the fold...

Hi there,

I have been lurking on the forum for a couple of months now ever since my previous car (BMW E93 M3) was killed by a guy was more interested in his email inbox than the cars in front of him. I had the M3 for a few years and loved it and am thankful that it sacrificed itself to keep me safe when the guy rear ended me (I was at a full stop with an SUV in front of me and he hit me doing 40 MPH).

I had a 2006 Cayman S prior to the M3 that I loved and had no problems with, but needed a backseat (something to do with having 4 smallish kids) so the M3 was the solution once it was time to make a change. After the wreck, when I told my wife that I was looking at another Porsche instead of another M3 she said, "I thought you got that out of your system!" Silly woman....

The trick was to take her to the dealership and let the sales advisor focus on her and resolving her concerns. Previously, I had always just found the car for me and told her what I was going to get. She really caught the spirit of the whole thing when she sat down in a new 911 and a smile crept across her face. She asked for a test drive and the SA was happy to oblige.

So, this time I have a Porsche AND a back seat and all is right in the world. I have been doing some very light mods (LED side markers, spacers, trunk liner and Lid liner, sport front spoiler, plastidip the PORSCHE badge on the back, remove the "911 Carrera" from the side doors, etc.). I also just Plastidiped the rear engine cover slats as a proof of concept to see if I liked the look. I'm contemplating the Rear Black Grille, but for $1300, I thought I would try the $6 approach first to see what I thought.

So, thanks for all of the advice and info that I have gleaned over the last little bit. It has been incredibly helpful!

Old 06-14-2016, 04:23 PM
Ski Porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 73 Posts

It's a beauty. The black louvers look much better than I would have thought. Enjoy!
Old 06-14-2016, 04:31 PM
RichAA
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gorgeous in Guards Red! Congrats!!
Old 06-14-2016, 05:16 PM
Quantumfly
Cruisin'

I still have an E93 M3 and have loved every minute of it, but am currently waiting for my first Porsche. 991.2 C4S should arrive in July so hope it continues with smiles per mile like the M3. Enjoy you lovely looking car
Old 06-14-2016, 06:11 PM
gmgracing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 436 Likes on 260 Posts

Happy wife, happy life. That's great that she got on board with the idea. It won't be too long and the kids will start asking for the keys!

I really like how the dipped rear engine cover came out, does it look decent up close?

sales@gmgracing.com
www.gmgracing.com

facebook l instagram l youtube l twitter

Porsche | Audi | Ferrari | Lamborghini | McLaren
Performance Tuning | Motorsport | Factory Service

Pirelli World Challege Race Team GT/GTA/GTS/TC
Pirelli GT3 Cup Trophy USA
Porsche Motorsport — Audi Sport Customer Racing — Lamborghini Super Trofeo Series
Old 06-14-2016, 06:46 PM
U-Boat CDR
AutoX

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I have certainly enjoyed playing around with the car.

[QUOTE] It won't be too long and the kids will start asking for the keys!
/QUOTE]

Its funny you say that. With the last car I would take my son, who is almost 15, out to an empty parking lot and tool around slowly. I have not worked up the nerve to do that yet in the 911. One day..... After all, I took my father's 1991 928 to prom and it survived. Mostly.

Regarding the engine cover, I am very happy with the way that it turned out. I still have not decided whether I spring for the actual OEM version or not, but as a proof of concept, I'm pleased with the look. It actually matches pretty closely to the look, texture and feel of the rear valence, side mirror trim and the black sport front spoiler, so it fits in with the car overall. And since i also dipped the rear badging there is more continuity just inches away.

Old 06-14-2016, 07:29 PM
gmgracing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 436 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by U-Boat CDR

Its funny you say that. With the last car I would take my son, who is almost 15, out to an empty parking lot and tool around slowly. I have not worked up the nerve to do that yet in the 911. One day..... After all, I took my father's 1991 928 to prom and it survived. Mostly.

Regarding the engine cover, I am very happy with the way that it turned out. I still have not decided whether I spring for the actual OEM version or not, but as a proof of concept, I'm pleased with the look. It actually matches pretty closely to the look, texture and feel of the rear valence, side mirror trim and the black sport front spoiler, so it fits in with the car overall. And since i also dipped the rear badging there is more continuity just inches away.
Well good luck, sounds like you have a few years before prom night happens. I might need some pointers though, my five year old is quite anxious to drive "daddy's car".

Thanks for the close up shots on the rear cover. Overall, neat solution. It will be interesting to see how it holds up.
Old 06-14-2016, 07:39 PM
Bigalfromfl
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Congrats on a great looking new ride!
Old 06-14-2016, 10:24 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 232 Likes on 124 Posts

Great job, beautiful car! I sprung for the OEM thin-slat black grill cover, but painting the one that came on my car would have been a much cheaper solution. Only reason I didn't was mine is a GTS which comes with the thin slat grill if you don't get the ducktail.

Old 06-14-2016, 10:46 PM
U-Boat CDR
AutoX

NoGaBiker: Thanks, I appreciate it. I still really like the look of the OEM thin slats, but I have been spending way too much $$ on the car already. I just did an Xpel full front clip job and ceramic heat film on the glass sunroof and windshield. I may have to pace my Porsche Mod expenditures. I try to pay for it all out of my "Black Ops Fund" which means spreading it out so the "House Committee" doesn't start asking too many questions. If you know what I mean....
Old 06-15-2016, 12:01 AM
Peruna
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 48 Posts

Beautiful! Enjoy in good health. You should consider a SPASM front lip, the black would contrast nicely and complement the louvers.
Old 06-15-2016, 12:23 AM
U-Boat CDR
AutoX

ispool, Thanks! I actually added the SPASM front lip (they called it the Sport Spoiler Lip on Suncoast's website) a few weeks ago. You are right, the black plastic blends right in with the rear valence and the dipped engine cover.
Old 06-15-2016, 12:45 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

Welcome to the 991 NA club
Old 06-15-2016, 01:36 AM
DerekS
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 52 Posts

LOVE IT. Best color too!

Welcome back to the fold. You can't leave, as you'll eventually come to realize. I've tried. It doesn't work!
Old 06-15-2016, 02:21 AM
Cdub2235
Intermediate

Enjoyed the story, and the car is beautiful. I really like the black and red contrast

Quick Reply: I just returned to the fold...