From 993 4S to 991

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 11:15 AM
911passion
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default From 993 4S to 991

Hi all,

Sold my 993 4S a few months ago to a fellow rennlister. Since then, i have been driving everything that moves. From old school (3.2, MFI, 964) to new school (997.2S, Cayenne II S and Cayenne II Turbo).
I ended up with the turbo. And I liked it. For a few days........ But something was missing....
I had given myself a goal of staying below 60k to allow for another car soon (probably a 70´s 911, Targa if i can).
I never considered the 991. Never paid attention to prices and also thought it was not for me...
I was so wrong. I have now test driven 3 and I love them. Perfect blend for everyday.
I have started the hunt for a below $60k straight C2. Preferably dark color with at least sport chrono and the glass roof. PSE would be nice but hard to find. PASM or SPASM would be gravy...
What do you guys think?
Any leads on private party seller please let me know!
Thanks and I will keep you updated as soon as i can find a car.
CheeRS,
Pierre
Old 06-14-2016, 02:28 PM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi Pierre. I used to daily a '98 C4S Aero. Sold it but kept the 993TT. Picking up a 991 shortly too. We're following a similar path.
Old 06-14-2016, 03:01 PM
911passion
Racer

Yeah the TT would be the one to keep!
I'm looking around to find the right 991...
Stay in touch!
Old 06-14-2016, 06:20 PM
palmer66
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased a used 991 C4S last summer and can't stop driving it! I rarely drive my 993 except on occasional weekends. I daily the C4S as it can go from smooth highway car to a beast with the push of a button. I test drove a few base C2's and really liked them - great value right now - loved the look of the wide body and ran the 4S with snows over the winter and it was fantastic in the white stuff. The base C2 needs to be revved out a bit more to compensate for lighter torque down low but it is quite quick in its own right - surely fast and fun enough for public roads. Good luck - the search is half the fun.
Old 06-14-2016, 06:47 PM
911passion
Racer

Thanks for the encouragement guys!

I am sure a 991 S would be amazing. I have not driven one. I was fully expecting the base Carrera to be a let down. Instead I found a car that is Rev-happy, and, allow me to exaggerate, a lot more GT3-like than 993-like... at least in terms of revs and sounds...

we'll see where the search takes me. S and 4S are still quite a bit more expensive, but you never know!
Old 06-14-2016, 11:05 PM
beaverlake
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Subscribe to STGs "Hot For Sale" thread. It's loaded with good info and leads.
Old 06-15-2016, 12:31 AM
Kg11
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 31 Posts

I was in the same boat, looking for the same car. To stay under 60k, especially if a manual, you will have to get very lucky! For example, there was a car listed up in Mass. a few weeks back: 31k miles, red, Base 2013 991, PASM, SC, PSE; it was on cars.com for all of 1/2 a day; I called about it, already sold for $59k. As another example, Porsche Austin posted a CPO 2014 Base 911 manual w/PASM and PSE, $69k with 11k miles: sold the morning it was listed. One in Denver, 2014 manual CPO w/14k miles at $66,900, sold in 3 days; it had PSE. There was a 2012 C2S for sale up in NH with a lot of track time; 37k miles, had some issues and needed work, and it sold for $59k fast too (a Rennlister tried to buy it if I remember, but had a PPI done, and although it would have been a good car, it wasn't such a good deal when that stuff was factored in, like needing brakes and a 4-year service).

There is this car that might be a potential:

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...8843/overview/

It has a good history: was at Porsche Las Vegas and CPO'd, they couldn't move it and sold it (they had it listed for $63k if I remember). My friend works there and said it was clean as a whistle, and had an aftermarket exhaust. Downsides are those lame-o wheels, no SC, but I still think that's a decent price, and if they drop $2k to compensate for the lack of stock wheel, you are right there.

If you want a PDK, there may be more options. For the base cars, it seems like the manuals in a desirable build and price move very fast. Not many running around. Base PDK cars seem to sit for awhile (I have bookmarked a ton over the last few months) and in the C2S models, it seems that the PDK sells faster, I see a lot of manuals listed that have been for sale for a long time. Me personally, I think a manual on the base, really enjoying that lower power, lower torque engine at high RPM's, is the way to go. On the C2S, with more power and more useable torque, I could go either way, but the PDK makes a lot more sense on a higher powered car to me than it does on the base car. The power is so immediate, why not take full advantage? I loved my 6MT on my E90 328i, and loved the DCT on my M3. Wouldn't have cared as much for the 6MT on the M3 (test drove one that was almost new, and passed), nor the auto on the 328i (which made that car a slug). It all depends on the car, I think.

This time of year, you obviously will pay more and have less selection. Come January/February, dealers may be unloading stuff for wholesale, you could get really lucky with a CPO car at wholesale!
Old 06-15-2016, 02:48 AM
911passion
Racer

Originally Posted by beaverlake
Subscribe to STGs "Hot For Sale" thread. It's loaded with good info and leads.
Thanks. And subscribed!
Old 06-15-2016, 02:49 AM
911passion
Racer

Originally Posted by Kg11
I was in the same boat, looking for the same car. To stay under 60k, especially if a manual, you will have to get very lucky! For example, there was a car listed up in Mass. a few weeks back: 31k miles, red, Base 2013 991, PASM, SC, PSE; it was on cars.com for all of 1/2 a day; I called about it, already sold for $59k. As another example, Porsche Austin posted a CPO 2014 Base 911 manual w/PASM and PSE, $69k with 11k miles: sold the morning it was listed. One in Denver, 2014 manual CPO w/14k miles at $66,900, sold in 3 days; it had PSE. There was a 2012 C2S for sale up in NH with a lot of track time; 37k miles, had some issues and needed work, and it sold for $59k fast too (a Rennlister tried to buy it if I remember, but had a PPI done, and although it would have been a good car, it wasn't such a good deal when that stuff was factored in, like needing brakes and a 4-year service). There is this car that might be a potential: https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...8843/overview/ It has a good history: was at Porsche Las Vegas and CPO'd, they couldn't move it and sold it (they had it listed for $63k if I remember). My friend works there and said it was clean as a whistle, and had an aftermarket exhaust. Downsides are those lame-o wheels, no SC, but I still think that's a decent price, and if they drop $2k to compensate for the lack of stock wheel, you are right there. If you want a PDK, there may be more options. For the base cars, it seems like the manuals in a desirable build and price move very fast. Not many running around. Base PDK cars seem to sit for awhile (I have bookmarked a ton over the last few months) and in the C2S models, it seems that the PDK sells faster, I see a lot of manuals listed that have been for sale for a long time. Me personally, I think a manual on the base, really enjoying that lower power, lower torque engine at high RPM's, is the way to go. On the C2S, with more power and more useable torque, I could go either way, but the PDK makes a lot more sense on a higher powered car to me than it does on the base car. The power is so immediate, why not take full advantage? I loved my 6MT on my E90 328i, and loved the DCT on my M3. Wouldn't have cared as much for the 6MT on the M3 (test drove one that was almost new, and passed), nor the auto on the 328i (which made that car a slug). It all depends on the car, I think. This time of year, you obviously will pay more and have less selection. Come January/February, dealers may be unloading stuff for wholesale, you could get really lucky with a CPO car at wholesale!
Wow. Thanks much! Thats seems to be my experience. Porsche Seattle had a base manual for $54k. I passed. Should have bought it...
Old 06-15-2016, 02:29 PM
dawgcatching
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 911passion
Wow. Thanks much! Thats seems to be my experience. Porsche Seattle had a base manual for $54k. I passed. Should have bought it...
Yeah....that's $6k lower than anything on the market right now. Last winter I presume? PNW dealers are very seasonal: business goes from 0 to 60 in around 2 seconds come March 15th.
Old 06-15-2016, 04:51 PM
911passion
Racer

No it was last week!
Old 06-15-2016, 05:37 PM
dawgcatching
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

$54k for a 991? How many miles, 65,000? Only ones I have seen that cheap were off auction w/accident
Old 06-15-2016, 06:46 PM
...Max...
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have seen in my recent shopping a 2013 7MT base, GR/black with 15K miles on it; the M-B dealer in Fort Worth, TX that had it reduced it down to, I think, $57K. I have driven the car and it was in perfect shape, but it was as much a stripper as a 991 can be (can't think of a single option that it had, 4-way seats etc). Almost bought it... but then I finally found a C2S :-)
Old 06-15-2016, 06:56 PM
911passion
Racer

Originally Posted by dawgcatching
$54k for a 991? How many miles, 65,000? Only ones I have seen that cheap were off auction w/accident
I think it was around 20,000 miles... I drove it, it was perfectly fine and straight. Porsche Dealer. Not a single options: no sun roof, no chrono, no bose, manual seats...
Old 06-15-2016, 06:57 PM
911passion
Racer

Originally Posted by ...Max...
I have seen in my recent shopping a 2013 7MT base, GR/black with 15K miles on it; the M-B dealer in Fort Worth, TX that had it reduced it down to, I think, $57K. I have driven the car and it was in perfect shape, but it was as much a stripper as a 991 can be (can't think of a single option that it had, 4-way seats etc). Almost bought it... but then I finally found a C2S :-)
yeah, the one I drove was very similar. I should have bought it!

Quick Reply: From 993 4S to 991