Targa 991.2 - PCM, Apple Play, and Digital Music Library

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2016, 10:25 PM
Zane S
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Targa 991.2 - PCM, Apple Play, and Digital Music Library

Good evening All -

I am picking up my Targa SB on Wednesday. I am trying to find the following please:

1) On-line tutorial on PCM, and Apple Play,
2) How do I create a Digital Music Library?
3) Any other topic I may be overlooking that I need to know,

Thank you,

- Zane
Old 06-11-2016, 10:32 PM
LCW
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am still trying to figure it all out and make it all work. I would say arm yourself with a lot of patience and don't expect to figure it out all in a day or so... There are so many features that it is pretty overwhelming... So I try and discover new features every day...
Good luck and congrats! Your Targa is gorgeous!
Old 06-12-2016, 09:07 AM
Jeffdehr
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Apple Car play: plug you iPhone into the usb slot in armrest. Your phone connects automatically and will show the Apple Car play app available on the PCM screen: music, maps, phone, podcast, etc. The small white circle on the lower left of the PCM screen acts as the circle button on the bottom of your iPhone.

From the Apple Car play screen you can press the black and white Porsche logo (huge fight between Apple and Porsche about color vs non color logo - look who won) to go from the Apple Car play screen to the regular PCM screen. From the PCM screen there is an Apple Car play button to go toggle back.

Press the voice control button on the end of the turn signal stalk quickly for PCM voice control. Press it longer for Siri.

I used Apple Play a few times and found it inconvenient.
Must plug phone in, not wireless
Can't use Waze
Siri won't handle web searches (game scores for example)

For me best feature is you can respond to text via Siri hands free. I prefer to drive, not text.

I don't use my phone for music, if you do Apple Car play may be for you.
Old 06-12-2016, 09:49 AM
budrichard
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Before you pick up the car, obtain the Manual from your SA and spend at least an evening or two with it.
Make a list of what you want set and the settings you want and your questions.
Be prepared to be overwhelmed with tech upon actual delivery.
after 1.5 hours, I called it quits and just drove the car home.
I spent time afterwards in the car with the manual learning more and more and getting everything set to my liking.
As to CarPlay, it is what it is as described, I have my Music on my iPhone, so it's helpful but in my Boxster I blueTooth the Music to the Car anyway. If you use Maps, it's got a nice display.
WAZE, as mentioned is the big problem!
Since my iPhone has my Music, I have not yet looked at the Music Library, but if I can upload Music via playing CD's in the car, it may be of some usage.
It's a journey and don't forget Porsche Car Connect, another area of learning.
Any specific questions, just ask.-Richard
Old 09-18-2016, 06:43 PM
Norsk
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 81 Posts

If I may resurrect this thread, is anyone else having issues with the map when using Apple car play? Every other part of car play is fine, but I only get a grid when trying to use the map; or part of a map; or the North American continent (!). When I zoom in it goes back to a grid.
Porsche maps and nav are good...just Apple is wacky.
TIA

Quick Reply: Targa 991.2 - PCM, Apple Play, and Digital Music Library