991.2S v GT3-RS.....interesting

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 11:42 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,295 Likes on 4,975 Posts

Originally Posted by audipwr1
That corvette stuff is internet lore - I've run a corvette at Bondurant in 105 ambient non stop for 45 minutes at full bore with no motor problems - they do tend to nuke brake caliper seals, but that is also fixable
I've seen a C7 Z06 go into limp mode with ambient temps around 95-100F after about 10 minutes on the track.

Doesn't mean the C7 Z06 is a wicked fast car, it is. Just that it can't pull of a
impersonation like a Porsche GT car.
Old 06-10-2016, 11:45 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I've seen a C7 Z06 go into limp mode with ambient temps around 95-100F after about 10 minutes on the track. Doesn't mean the C7 Z06 is a wicked fast car, it is. Just that it can't pull of a Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_fKppH8B0gimpersonation like a Porsche GT car.
The car I drove was a grand sport so I can't speak directly to Z06

But my guess is that you are one aftermarket radiator away from fixing that problem

GT cars need toe links / coolant lines / etc to make them more reliable so doing some tweaks to other cars not a far fetched solution

You do have 100k to play with on the used vet versus the GT3 to make it right
Old 06-10-2016, 11:52 PM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Not sure, that's not entirely accurate.

While lap times are nice, most (if not all) of the time the quoted figures are the a single best lap time for a particular car.

What makes Porsche GT cars unique is that they can take a beating, lap after lap, in miserably hot weather, and as long as the driver has the human stamina to keep up, the car will spit out consistent lap times time after time after.

Maybe a 911 Carrera variant can match or beat a GT3/RS for a single lap (or two), but what happens after 30 minutes on the circuit?

I'm not even going to respond to the Corvette in terms of staying upright in any type of ambient temp above 85F.

For the weekend HPDE warrior, it's a lot more important to have a car that can stay on the track for the entire duration of your run group, and to endure the length of the day.

Pro drivers, or racers, different story entirely.
Only the Mezgers outdid their regular 911 brothers and even that wasn't too significant. The 991 GT3 engine is not doing so good, is it? A lot more problems than those being reported on the 991 GT forum.
Old 06-11-2016, 12:05 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,295 Likes on 4,975 Posts

Originally Posted by audipwr1
The car I drove was a grand sport so I can't speak directly to Z06

But my guess is that you are one aftermarket radiator away from fixing that problem
The problems with the Z06 come from the supercharger. The base C7 iterations, incl. the GS, are a basic V8.

Chevy engineers did something wrong in how they designed the layout of the supercharger vis-a-vis the hood. Radiators, different coolants, etc. have all been tried, with no real fix that's been reliable or permanent.

Too bad, cuz otherwise the C7 Z06 would be America's Godzilla.
Old 06-11-2016, 12:31 AM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Most people don't understand/accept the reality that the difference between the 'pedestrian' 911s and the GT cars really isn't that much if set up right; it's there, but it's not huge. People will argue all day that the GT4 is some amazing pure sports car and the 991 is a bloated grand tourer, yet the C2S lapped the Ring faster than the GT4. Clock don't lie.
What does a C2S run? I saw Manthey had a 7:29 in their GT4 (tires/bushings/ no power adders).

Last edited by Buteo; 06-11-2016 at 01:26 AM.
Old 06-11-2016, 03:46 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,864 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Buteo
What does a C2S run? I saw Manthey had a 7:29 in their GT4 (tires/bushings/ no power adders).
Yeah, that Manthey car was not just tires and bushings. It was over $10k of mods and not representative of a stock GT4. Once you start modifying the car you can't compare it to other, unmodified, cars.

Stock GT4 best verified time I've seen is Gebhardt's 7:42. C2S ran a 7:379, granted with Timo Kluck at the wheel and he's probably good for a couple of seconds given his comparison to Gebhardt in other cars.

My point is simply all these cars are actually pretty close performance wise, they're just marketed so well that the public perceives bigger differences than what really exists.
Old 06-11-2016, 09:07 AM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 86 Posts

My experience has been that the variability in the driver far outweighs the differences in the cars. Last week at Thunderbolt I routinely spanked a GTS, prior to that at Mid Ohio I was proud to be passing a GT3 on a regular basis, prior to that at Summit Point I was passing two GT4s, meanwhile at Thunderbolt an instructor was passing me in his Cayman.

This is like the accuracy precision debate, you're hanging on to the accuracy of the car's lap times (within decimals of a second) while the driver just isn't that precise, not to mention other traffic on the track.

We have a rule within our group, it's not how fast your car is, it's how fast you can make it. Our group is a random bunch, many Porsches, few Ferraris, couple of Vettes, etc. Our expression, "back your smack at the track."
Old 06-11-2016, 01:19 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

My point is simply all these cars are actually pretty close performance wise, they're just marketed so well that the public perceives bigger differences than what really exists.
Yeah definitely, one yahoo in a fast car driving a lap faster than another yahoo in a fast car says next to nothing about the relative performance of the two cars.

The problems with the Z06 come from the supercharger. The base C7 iterations, incl. the GS, are a basic V8.

Chevy engineers did something wrong in how they designed the layout of the supercharger vis-a-vis the hood. Radiators, different coolants, etc. have all been tried, with no real fix that's been reliable or permanent.
Perhaps, but my anecdotal evidence is my buddy's Z06 which he's driven on the track many many times with no issues, and then a regular Stingray that fire-balled in front of me on the track...
Old 06-11-2016, 02:38 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,864 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Dewinator
Yeah definitely, one yahoo in a fast car driving a lap faster than another yahoo in a fast car says next to nothing about the relative performance of the two cars.
But even if that yahoo is a top level professional driver, the gaps are still pretty small. The lap times clearly show that.
Old 06-11-2016, 03:02 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

But even if that yahoo is a top level professional driver, the gaps are still pretty small. The lap times clearly show that.
Oh yeah totally. Normal sports cars are so insanely fast now that it takes a ton extra for just incremental increases in speed.
Old 06-11-2016, 04:43 PM
Cristophosphorus
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by AC SATCO
Fine the .2 C2S is faster than my RS. Whatever.

At least I'll be loosing in the depreciation race also.

And I'll show myself out.

It's almost like saying a 599 GTO owner would somehow be disappointed that an F12 is faster than their rare, collector's model that's the closest you can get to motorsport.

Also, you have a fabulous Porsche history/lineup. I envy you! So awesome.
Old 06-12-2016, 02:48 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Originally Posted by Cristophosphorus
It's almost like saying a 599 GTO owner would somehow be disappointed that an F12 is faster than their rare, collector's model that's the closest you can get to motorsport.
This isn't really an accurate comparison, because the F12 is faster and better looking than then rare, collectors model 599 GTO so they each have their advantages.

The GT3RS in this case is the faster and better looking model in addition to being the rare collector's model so it's a win-win.
Old 06-15-2016, 06:47 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 82 Posts

Take the same driver be it an amateur, guy like myself an average driver or a pro and put him/her in a 991.2 c2 at any track. Time their performance. On the same day, put the same driver in 991GT3RS and time him. I'll bet the RS will be faster regardless of the track. This approach will put to bed any perceived variations of driving conditions. AND that is the difference in the cars. Amateurs like ourselves will be faster in an RS.

The RS is far away a faster car and anyone that argues otherwise is delusional.
Old 06-15-2016, 06:51 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
Take the same driver be it an amateur, guy like myself an average driver or a pro and put him/her in a 991.2 c2 at any track. Time their performance. On the same day, put the same driver in 991GT3RS and time him. I'll bet the RS will be faster regardless of the track. This approach will put to bed any perceived variations of driving conditions. AND that is the difference in the cars. Amateurs like ourselves will be faster in an RS.

The RS is far away a faster car and anyone that argues otherwise is delusional.
Or so insecure about buying the inferior .2 that they have to really reach to justify their purchase.

Next we will debate the drag times since that's the type of car porsche designed.
Old 06-15-2016, 07:19 PM
Stil_1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well if we take the same driver, 991.1 got 7:37, he drove the GT3 7:25, I would expect he drives the RS faster than that. so a 12 second delta same driver.

Sport auto best time for 991.1 is 7:44, then 7:34 for 991.2, so a 10 second delta.

If we apply that delta to the above times, that is estimated 7:27 for the 991.2 if driven by Timo, which is still 2 seconds slower than a standard GT3. I don't think we seen a time driven by him for the RS. I see a 7:20 time for the RS, but I think that's estimated?

In either case, I still think they are different cars for different purposes. No doubt the RS is faster than the GT3, which is still faster than the 991.2. But the 991.2 is more comfortable to drive on a daily basis, is faster than the 991.1 as it should be.

Anyone who bought a 991.1, 991.2, GT3, GT3 RS and are happy with it bought the right car for them. Nothing anyone else says will dispute that.

Numbers on one track are only 1 factor in satisfaction. There's more than that to a car. For some it's sound/engine emotion, for some it's comfort, for some it's trackability, for others it's a well rounder.

We are at a point where for a 911 looking car +/ aero with models that cover a wide spectrum of factors, it's just pick and choose based on what you prioritize. No wrong choice. Enjoy your car for what you chose it for.

Quick Reply: 991.2S v GT3-RS.....interesting