Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So you think your 991 is fast. Watch this!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 03:47 PM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

In case anyone wants to see it, it's on netflix. Narrated by Liam Neesin.
Old 06-03-2016, 03:51 PM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

The last pass must have been a mistake. I can't imagine any pilot intentionally taking that kind of risk.
Old 06-03-2016, 09:26 PM
SDaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Seeing the Isle of Mann in person has been on my bucket list since before I was old enough to have a list.... Need to go in the next couple of years.

Booking Road on Netflix now!
Old 06-04-2016, 12:05 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

not fast but cool. Aviation - check out the gauges near the end.
Old 06-04-2016, 01:05 PM
steve9
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by dkuznetsov
I remember watching this

Motorbike Gets Extreme Speed Wobbles and Crashes - YouTube

Something about the way he was wobbling strikes humor, but he died so it is not funny..
That's Paul Orritt at the 1991 IOM TT and no he did not die, in fact he escaped serious injury.

Still, the TT and the Manx GP have an atrocious safety record and its not improving. Well over 200 riders have been killed on that circuit over the last ~100 years; what a horrific loss of life considering it's only run for around 3 weeks each year. Just last week another young rider was killed in practice. Imagine if every racing circuit had such a record. But it's a huge event in the Isle of Man bringing in a lot of revenue so nobody there will be in a hurry to cancel it.
Old 06-05-2016, 10:04 AM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Another sidecar racer died at the TT yesterday I heard. RIP
Old 06-05-2016, 07:38 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

"Beware the Boot in the Road"

Off, OT but as some previous posts mention Isle of Mann and how dangerous that race is, I thought I'd share the following... I ran across this guy some years ago, and find his presentations mesmerizingly interesting to this day. I am referring to Dr. John Hind, himself a bike racer, presenting to an audience of medical professionals. Dr Hind was a member of rapid response medical teams (that's a picture of him in the YT link below) dealing with high-velocity cycle racing accidents of the worst kinds such as at Isle of Mann and other TT. In this case he covers the mechanics of what happens to riders when they high-side or put their foot down on the road traveling at speeds of 130+ mph!

Unfortunately, Dr. Hind himself was killed while in a practice session for a race just last year.... If you search, there are many videos on YouTube where he presents accident cases.

Last edited by plenum; 06-06-2016 at 02:48 PM.
Old 06-06-2016, 08:43 AM
porsche42
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SDaddy
Seeing the Isle of Mann in person has been on my bucket list since before I was old enough to have a list.... Need to go in the next couple of years.

Booking Road on Netflix now!
Me too, always on the bucket list. Rode sport bikes for years then slowed down and switched to Harleys. Insane speeds though and something to behold up close.
Old 06-06-2016, 05:24 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

I never realized all the types of bike crashes. Very informative medical presentation. They are crazier than I ever thought . I remember once at Pocono the bikers told me we were crazy in cars. QUOTE " At least we can jump off the bikes before we hit the wall"
Old 06-06-2016, 10:49 PM
Fred2
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Gofishracing
not fast but cool. Aviation - check out the gauges near the end.
The ONLY Flying A-26A Counter Invader in the world!! (currently being restored) - YouTube
Thanks for posting this.
It reminded me of listening to Dr. Baldwin, the ER Doc that worked the motorcycle races that I competed in.
Old 06-06-2016, 11:19 PM
sracer
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

fascinating. Thanks for sharing.
RIP Dr. Hinds
Old 06-10-2016, 08:37 PM
Puf n Stuf
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Now totalling 5 dead in this year's event: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-euro...f-man-36505271

Such a shame.
Old 06-11-2016, 11:50 AM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by plenum
"Beware the Boot in the Road"

Off, OT but as some previous posts mention Isle of Mann and how dangerous that race is, I thought I'd share the following... I ran across this guy some years ago, and find his presentations mesmerizingly interesting to this day. I am referring to Dr. John Hind, himself a bike racer, presenting to an audience of medical professionals. Dr Hind was a member of rapid response medical teams (that's a picture of him in the YT link below) dealing with high-velocity cycle racing accidents of the worst kinds such as at Isle of Mann and other TT. In this case he covers the mechanics of what happens to riders when they high-side or put their foot down on the road traveling at speeds of 130+ mph!

Unfortunately, Dr. Hind himself was killed while in a practice session for a race just last year.... If you search, there are many videos on YouTube where he presents accident cases.
That's nuts. A great man.

Quick Reply: So you think your 991 is fast. Watch this!