Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SIM Card - 991.2 WARNING

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 08:36 AM
drgek
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts

What, if any, functionality of the PCM system is lost if you take out the SIM card and just use your phone as a hotspot? That's what I do with my Verizon 6S iPhone and other than the minor annoyance of having to make the phone discoverable whenever I get in the car I seem to have all functions available including traffic, Google Earth, and Google search; PCM Connect also works fine.
Old 08-21-2016, 10:38 AM
07CarreraS
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 64 Posts

Not to be a dumb question but is Google Earth part of the SIM card package? I just noticed I don't have it anymore and it's just the regular navigation map.
Old 08-21-2016, 07:19 PM
budrichard
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

As I previously tried to relate, when I used my iPhone as a HotSpot, real time traffic was not available. As soon as I re-activated the supplied SIM, real time info became available and I got the correct route around the blocked crossing.
Google Earth looks to have more information.
I went to Niles today but traffic was flowing smoothly on the Toolway and Edens, so no chance to try out traffic color coding.
As to what else, I'm not sure at this point but I next have to investigate Google Ground Level views.
As it's $10/month tethered to my ATT Data Plan, I am going to play with it for awhile.-Richard
Old 08-22-2016, 01:35 PM
drgek
Racer

Originally Posted by 07CarreraS
Not to be a dumb question but is Google Earth part of the SIM card package? I just noticed I don't have it anymore and it's just the regular navigation map.
Google Earth comes in via the data connection. Does anybody have a clue how much data is typical for use in a car, assuming I have nobody connecting to it as a hot spot and it's just being used for Google searches, occasional Google Earth, etc?
Old 08-22-2016, 02:11 PM
LCW
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK - so my AT&T trial SIM card expired about a month ago. Conceptually I have a problem with paying for yet another subscription on a $125k+ car. So I have been experimenting with using my phone as the hotspot. I have an iphone 6. So it seems that the only way for me to make the phone connect to the PCM as a hotspot is for me to turn off the hotpot switch on the phone settings and then turn it back on. All this while the phone is already paired and connected via Bluetooth to the PCM. Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions on how to have the two connect automatically when the phone is detected in the car?
For those asking about whether there is a difference between the phone and SIM card in terms of data on the screen, I have to say I haven't noticed any. I can see the traffic flow on the screen and the list of traffic situations in the area as well as Google Earth... I have no idea how much data that uses, but I have an unlimited data plan with my phone.

thank you in advance..
Old 08-22-2016, 02:14 PM
drgek
Racer

On my Verizon iPhone 6, I have to open up the Personal Hotspot in Settings every time I get into the car.
Old 08-22-2016, 02:16 PM
LCW
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes exactly - it does not make sense that it would have been designed that way...
Old 08-22-2016, 02:28 PM
Curvfun
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

My AT&T account works the same way. Reconnect each time. I read something in the documentation indicating this is SOP for using a phone instead of the SIM.

I suppose Porsche programmed it to be this challenging in order to nudge us toward a new data account for the SIM card. I'll speculate that Porsche is probably getting some recurring commission dollars from each new subscription.
Old 08-22-2016, 04:10 PM
drgek
Racer

Originally Posted by LCW
yes exactly - it does not make sense that it would have been designed that way...
I think it does. You wouldn't want any mobile device within range just being able to connect to your phone's data plan, even if you had previously shared that password.
Old 08-23-2016, 11:55 AM
budrichard
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My 991.2 is in for brake fluid change and rear pads(PTV+) to day as prep for TRAC at Road America over Labor day but as I recall, go to MY CAR button and when the DATA Connection comes up, switch to WIFI HotSpot, your iPhone will give you a Password to enter into the vehicle system, then you are on your iPhone HotSpot.
I think the SIM has to be removed but don't quote me on that.
It's simple and quick. and doesn't require reconfiguring each usage.-Richard
BTW the Technology that is in the 991.2 is a step beyond what was normally available and the future. So Service Advisors and most else are really pretty much out in the cold.
I'm constantly learning about the system.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:04 PM
Grssypond
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeffdehr
Apple Car Play is free. You can use your iPhone as a hotspot to provide data to the PCM for traffic and Google. If you do this you don't need a SIM card.
But, plugging in the lightening connector for Apple Car Play dumps the iPhone WiFi hotspot. And, you have to actively activate the iPhone hotspot each time you get in the car......conflicts galore
Old 08-25-2016, 03:12 AM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,061 Likes on 533 Posts

I could not get ATT to add My car to my data plan. They said something about not being able to get into something. I gave up.
Old 08-25-2016, 06:44 AM
bmedude
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by BIGWORM
I could not get ATT to add My car to my data plan. They said something about not being able to get into something. I gave up.
1. Go to www.att.com/Porsche
2. Register an account and make sure you have your SIM card number ready. It is the ICCID number (SIM card is hidden behind the "PORSCHE" flap under your screen
3. Make sure you document the user name and password you use to register. This will save you a lot of time and headache. Att tech support absolutely sucks and will tell you to call On Star(wrong!)
4. Once you burn through your 3gb of data( it's 3gb over 3 months, if you use it all up in a day, your trial is over). Log back in to att.com/Porsche (the user ID is case sensitive, found this out the hard way). Choose the option to add a data plan, pop in your att account info(primary phone number, last four of SS number and four digit pin).
5. Within 2 minutes my Porsche was now on my ATT plan (it shares from my pooled data and will cost 10 a month for the line).
Old 08-25-2016, 08:57 AM
captainkirk
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I don't get this. My phone can do hotspot by itself then why does the car need this. The car should connect to the phone if it needs data.

If other people need wifi - they can connect to my phone. Though almost everyone has data plan these days.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:48 AM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,061 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by captainkirk
I don't get this. My phone can do hotspot by itself then why does the car need this. The car should connect to the phone if it needs data.

If other people need wifi - they can connect to my phone. Though almost everyone has data plan these days.
Originally Posted by bmedude
1. Go to www.att.com/Porsche
2. Register an account and make sure you have your SIM card number ready. It is the ICCID number (SIM card is hidden behind the "PORSCHE" flap under your screen
3. Make sure you document the user name and password you use to register. This will save you a lot of time and headache. Att tech support absolutely sucks and will tell you to call On Star(wrong!)
4. Once you burn through your 3gb of data( it's 3gb over 3 months, if you use it all up in a day, your trial is over). Log back in to att.com/Porsche (the user ID is case sensitive, found this out the hard way). Choose the option to add a data plan, pop in your att account info(primary phone number, last four of SS number and four digit pin).
5. Within 2 minutes my Porsche was now on my ATT plan (it shares from my pooled data and will cost 10 a month for the line).

Thank you. Unfortuniatly it did not work for me. But I now know why.

I have ATT and direct TV. IF you have both on a combined BILL. YOU CAN NOT ADD the car.

ATT needs you to have direct TV billing and ATT cell phone billing to be SEPERATE to add the porsche.

If you have the bills combined, which I do, they can NOT add the car.
They realize its stupid.

The only solution in my situation is to either separate you two bills (uncombine them, which causes prorate and credit back headaches) or you wait for ATT to fix there system or you just pay more as a single data line.

PS: spot on about them telling me to call onstar...lol

Quick Reply: SIM Card - 991.2 WARNING