Sponsored by:

SIM Card - 991.2 WARNING

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 05:30 PM
Jeffdehr
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SIM Card - 991.2 WARNING

For those of you thinking of getting a sim card for your 991.2 so you can have a wifi hotspot / data for Google and traffic here's a valuable lesson that took me 4 hours today to learn.

In the US the best sim card is AT&T since the PCM will work on their LTE, 4G and 3G networks since they are GSM. If you use Verizon it will work, but only if you are in a LTE area, if you are not in an LTE area Verizon uses CDMA which doesn't work with PCM. I think it will work with T-Mobile too but I'm not sure.

Make sure you get the right size sim card!!!! AT&T gave me a micro sim card. I inserted it halfway into the slot and realized it was too small. Before I could pull it out my 11 year daughter helpfully pushed it further in! After a half hour of trying to use tape and a collar stay to pry it out I thought it would be stuck forever. I then found a very small safety pin and was able to jab the pin into the sim card and pull it out.

I don't know the name of the right sim card. I can tell you it is NOT the micro nor the nano. It is the LARGEST size sim card made. It is 1" long by 11/16" wide. It is AT&T sku code 74362 and UPC code 607376075634.

So 4 hours later I have a data connection!
Old 05-28-2016, 05:46 PM
LCW
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you for the tip. So the dealer is meant to deliver the car with an AT&T SIM card that is good for three months, included with your purchase. I have had mine for only one month, but I suspect AT&T will try and sell me an extension in the next few weeks. It sounds like it did not go that way for you, correct?
Old 05-28-2016, 06:03 PM
Jeffdehr
Rennlist Member

That would make much more sense if the dealer gives you the right AT&T SIM card. That's what happened when I had an Audi. After the trial period I was contacted to extend the service.

My car was delivered to my dealer Wednesday afternoon. The only time that worked for me to pick it up was Thursday morning since I wanted it for the holiday weekend. They told me they could deliver the car but they wouldn't have time to activate Porsche Car Connect. When I picked up the car they told me to set up a user name at Porsche Car Connect on the web to receive an installation code and bring the activation code to them when I return to activate Car Connect. They also told me I would need a SIM card so I went to AT&T today to get one. I'm going back on Tuesday for them to activate Car Connect, maybe they will give me a SIM card at that point. If so I can return the SIM card to AT&T, it's a pay as you go card.

I thought the 911 came with a trail period for Car Connect. Sounds like you got 3 months, that's good to know.
Old 05-28-2016, 07:24 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Not the best idea to rush the dealer on the delivery process, tempting as it may seem, because they commonly screw something up even when not rushed.

Make sure they removed the shipping blocks from your suspension...
Old 05-28-2016, 07:34 PM
Jeffdehr
Rennlist Member

Good point and I agree, will not make that mistake again.
Old 05-29-2016, 11:28 AM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Puzzled why the dealer would tell you that you need to provide a SIM when part of the delivery process (and training) for the .2's is setting-up CC. The AT&T SIM for the 3-month trial period is part of the delivery packet that the dealer must go through with you at delivery. Even if rushed makes no sense to tell you to come with a SIM. Something doesn't sound right
And, if I recall from the training materials that dealers / sales goes through globally AT&T is the only provider currently available - at least for the trial? Can't recall.
Old 05-29-2016, 12:55 PM
bmedude
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 37 Posts

This SIM card thing.... Do all the 991.2's have it or is it a special package that you have to buy?
Old 05-29-2016, 01:24 PM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Just took delivery of my 991.2 last Thursday. The dealer had installed the ATT sim card. Good for three free months I think. Then you have to pay for the service I set up an account on Porsche Car Connect online and they gave me a code that I have to take to the dealer to give them so they can activate Car Connect. Car Connect seems to be an addition to the Google maps stuff. Then there is Apple Car Play which requires you to physically connect your iphone via a usb connection. Seems like Car Play does not require and sim card or other Porsche subscription. Seems to work through the wireless phone connection. Could be wrong though. Still in a learning phase! What I like about Car Play is it allows the use of Siri which, though not perfect, is pretty flexible with voice commands. Google maps is much better than Apple maps though.
Old 05-29-2016, 02:00 PM
c_Gio
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Good tip! Love kids
Old 05-29-2016, 06:40 PM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 71 Posts

Here's a link to the car connect provider that shows the fees for the 3 services available after the trial period:

https://pcc.cobratelematics.com/cwp/login.do

Can get expensive -- although there are bundled rates for multiple services, and an additional discount for a 24 month term. Appears that the provider includes the data for this "for fee service", so that you don't need to add anything to your phone's wireless plan.

Appears that Apple Car Play is free using your iPhone with it's wireless data plan. Is the Google Maps Navigation with traffic free? Can it run off of your iPhone's hot spot, or is there a separate SIM card for that function?

For those of you who have your 991.2's, have you had a chance to sample these services, and your thoughts?

My 991.2 build is scheduled for September, so I've got a long wait.

Last edited by philg3; 05-30-2016 at 12:54 PM.
Old 05-29-2016, 07:08 PM
Jeffdehr
Rennlist Member

Apple Car Play is free. You can use your iPhone as a hotspot to provide data to the PCM for traffic and Google. If you do this you don't need a SIM card.
Old 05-29-2016, 07:21 PM
Norsk
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect

Make sure they removed the shipping blocks from your suspension...

Ha, had that happen once!
Old 05-29-2016, 11:42 PM
coupedncal
8th Gear

Is 2017 the first year that Apple Car Play was made available or was that on option for the prior year 991-1 as well?
Old 05-30-2016, 12:19 AM
drgek
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeffdehr
Apple Car Play is free. You can use your iPhone as a hotspot to provide data to the PCM for traffic and Google. If you do this you don't need a SIM card.
Although I have an iPhone, you could use any phone to create a hot spot. I was concerned that Verizon would not download data during a call, but that changed this past week.
Old 05-30-2016, 12:25 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by coupedncal
Is 2017 the first year that Apple Car Play was made available or was that on option for the prior year 991-1 as well?
CarPlay was not available on the 991.1's.

Started model yr 2017 for ALL Porsche models.

Quick Reply: SIM Card - 991.2 WARNING