Sponsored by:

PDK reprogam for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 01:02 PM
simplex
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheEngineer
Maybe you should look at a Tesla. Tough to beat in the off the line torque department.
Yes, she's been interested in it. I will keep a 911 in one form or another for myself, whether it's our 991.1 or the 991.2 if we decide to swap.
Old 05-25-2016, 01:19 PM
hawc
Racer

Originally Posted by Senna01
You need a 991.2
Wow. That's helpful. Tell him he needs another car in order to fix his issue with his car.
Old 05-25-2016, 01:32 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by hawc
Wow. That's helpful. Tell him he needs another car in order to fix his issue with his car.
I see why you made this reply and if he is like me, the cost of a new 911 is above my financial comfort so it may not be a viable solution so finding a bandaid could be the only route. For what the OP is describing though... the 991.2 is the better car for this reason and as I argued many times - those that plan on daily driving the car; the .2 is better. The .1 is better or said differently more exciting and eventful to drive on weekends.

2 options.

1. Sprint Booster. The car will be weird for a short time as it learns this and adapts so be forewarned.
2. Level set expectations. The car isn't an american V8 powered car and wants.. needs to be revved.
Old 05-25-2016, 01:46 PM
simplex
Instructor

Originally Posted by R_Rated
2 options.

1. Sprint Booster. The car will be weird for a short time as it learns this and adapts so be forewarned.
Yes, I just learned earlier today about Sprint Booster. Interesting option! Do you have any experience with it?

2. Level set expectations. The car isn't an american V8 powered car and wants.. needs to be revved.
She got spoiled by the BMW E90 335i (turbo) which we used to have...
Old 05-25-2016, 01:51 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Who drives in auto mode in Sport+ for normal street driving?? Shifting at near redline each gear?? You'll barely get out of second gear at any given time.
Yep I'm so lost. I picture these guys tootling around with the engine screaming at 6k in first gear on local city streets.

Of course the PDK is going to upshift if you're not accelerating to have no need for the extra power. Sport+ holds lower gears, but only for the reason of being ready for instant acceleration when you're about to stomp on it, not because they anticipated anyone ever wanting to drive slowly around town with the engine held near redline for no reason.

Maybe what you should consider is a Miata or something much slower so your wife can wail on it without going very fast which sounds like what you're after. Or one of those 80s mustangs that were all noise.
Old 05-25-2016, 01:54 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by virage
Yes, I just learned earlier today about Sprint Booster. Interesting option! Do you have any experience with it?
I do. A friend has one[mine does not]. It made the car "buck" a lot at first as the ECU got used to it. It will make the throttle more responsive however... your car will never feel like it has the torque of the 335 no matter what you do. Even a 991.1 S won't come close. You have to level set expectations if you keep that car.
Old 05-25-2016, 01:55 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by Dewinator
Yep I'm so lost. I picture these guys tootling around with the engine screaming at 6k in first gear on local city streets.

My wife >>>

Old 05-25-2016, 02:20 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

... your car will never feel like it has the torque of the 335 no matter what you do. Even a 991.1 S won't come close.
I think you're mustaken, the internets says the E90 335i produces 295 lb-ft and the .1 base 288 in a much lighter car, 325 for the S...
Old 05-25-2016, 02:27 PM
R_Rated
Banned

I think you're mustaken, the internets says the E90 335i produces 295 lb-ft and the .1 base 288 in a much lighter car, 325 for the S...
At what RPM?

The engines make torque so significantly different. The OP is only concerned with the feel in daily driving scenarios. The 335 will always "feel" like it has a lot more down low.
Old 05-25-2016, 02:41 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

You'll get lots of attention there. Driving around in first and second gear in 6K+ RPM's all day sounds like fun.

Maybe she'd just like a super loud exhaust bypass or something. The car is probably too quiet. Does it even have PSE??

Or maybe one of those "you can't win" scenerios.

The Miata light be a good option. Small engine to wind out?? Don't know much about them.
Old 05-25-2016, 02:45 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 327 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Who drives in auto mode in Sport+ for normal street driving?? Shifting at near redline each gear?? You'll barely get out of second gear at any given time.

Nobody drives that way in a manual!

Sport Chrono I don't believe is the answer to what she's looking for. I think you're looking for a middle of the road button between sport and sport+!

Sport
Almost Sport+
Sport+

Am I missing something?

Of course the PDK is going to upshift if you're not accelerating to have no need for the extra power. Sport+ holds lower gears, but only for the reason of being ready for instant acceleration when you're about to stomp on it, not because they anticipated anyone ever wanting to drive slowly around town with the engine held near redline for no reason.

My comment about his wife needing Sport + was somewhat in jest.....but that said, you can leave it in Sport + Auto mode, and say when you hit 4500 rpm's click the right paddle and as long as the next gear keeps you at a minimum of 3500 rpm's or so, it will hold that next gear. So you can effectively drive in Sport + Semi-Auto mode around town keeping the revs in the 3.5-4.5K range.
Old 05-25-2016, 03:22 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Originally Posted by STG
Or maybe one of those "you can't win" scenerios.
I think you're on to something. Personally I love the 911 but I think I'd be perfectly happy with a BR-Z/FR-S, new Mustang 350, Boxster, M2, or any number of cars. I think some people are just destined to be happy with anything, others to search for faults to find a way to be dissatisfied.
Old 05-25-2016, 06:04 PM
simplex
Instructor

I do. A friend has one[mine does not]. It made the car "buck" a lot at first as the ECU got used to it. It will make the throttle more responsive however... your car will never feel like it has the torque of the 335 no matter what you do. Even a 991.1 S won't come close. You have to level set expectations if you keep that car.
Thank you, this is helpful. We may just give Sprint Booster a try before doing anything drastic like looking at other cars.
Old 05-25-2016, 06:18 PM
mtony
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

At what RPM?

The engines make torque so significantly different. The OP is only concerned with the feel in daily driving scenarios. The 335 will always "feel" like it has a lot more down low.
Exactly. I own both an e90 335i and a 911S and I can almost guarantee that the 335i has more torque available all the way up to 4000 RPMS which is where the 911 starts to make significant torque. If the 911 PDK is left in Automatic mode, you'll rarely see over 4K RPMs in daily city driving. I too, drive my 911 in manual mode to keep the revs up. Otherwise it just lugs around below 3000 RPMs.
Old 05-25-2016, 11:59 PM
mmaturo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This car unfortunately chooses gas savings over anything no doubt...I get the complaint exactly... my S w sport chrono drives me bananas in auto in regular or sport mode for my commute as it never downshifts far enough coming off on ramps without me doing it by tapping a paddle or the accelerator. In sport mode to me it should drop more gears...every other high performance car I own/owned does. Also in my neighborhood you drive for a few miles in at low speed and it doing it 6th gear just gets annoying but I do not want to constantly do it in manual mode everyday. I get exactly what she means... but yup you have to pound on the car to get it to move so I'm really good at the throttle blip to drop gears these days before I need to blow past anyone on the interstate. Now it is habit. It does make me appreciate my R8 and RS cars more for their greater torque at lower RPM. Having driven the .2 indeed it has the midrange torque you want. Liked it but I'm not switching out my car at this point.

Quick Reply: PDK reprogam for 991.1