Old 05-25-2016, 12:52 AM
simplex
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lunarx
Maybe its a bad gas thing.
Does your wife always fill with 91?
Are you using Tier-1 or Generic?
Either way, w/o 93, we are pretty much doomed in CA.
Yes, she always fills with 91, usually from Chevron. You are right - we're screwed here in CA with the octane restriction.

That being said, the real issue in my situation is not gas, but the fact that my wife never gets to rev the engine up to 4K-5K (where the torque is) because the PDK in the auto mode won't let her. Not even when Sport is engaged. I don't have this problem, because I drive in the manual mode and rev the sucker up to 5-6K before upshifting.
Old 05-25-2016, 12:58 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Originally Posted by Senna01
In the meantime.....I'll go ahead and enjoy my modern day 996 which arrives in Sept 1st
The best car. That you haven't even driven yet...
Old 05-25-2016, 01:00 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Originally Posted by virage
Yes, she always fills with 91, usually from Chevron. You are right - we're screwed here in CA with the octane restriction. That being said, the real issue in my situation is not gas, but the fact that my wife never gets to rev the engine up to 4K-5K (where the torque is) because the PDK in the auto mode won't let her. Not even when Sport is engaged. I don't have this problem, because I drive in the manual mode and rev the sucker up to 5-6K before upshifting.
Why doesn't she just use manual mode?

Also, in sport mode the more aggressively you apply the throttle, the longer it'll hold the gear. Maybe she's just too soft on the pedal.
Old 05-25-2016, 01:30 AM
simplex
Instructor

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Why doesn't she just use manual mode?

Also, in sport mode the more aggressively you apply the throttle, the longer it'll hold the gear. Maybe she's just too soft on the pedal.
She just never learned to drive the manual, so doing something she's never had to do (change gears) is not an intuitive thing for her. She's using the car as a daily commuter to work, and she doesn't want to learn news skills just to get from point A to point B.

Looks like we might have to get her a different car, maybe one of those meaty BMW V8 turbos, and just relegate the 991 to recreational duties. Which is too bad, because I like the concept of the 991 being used heavily both as the daily driver and a fun/weekend/track car, like we do now.
Old 05-25-2016, 03:14 AM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

The PDK in "auto" sometimes makes choices I wouldn't, which is why I keep it in manual. However your comments about shift points make me suspect you've never driven a PDK 991.

At full throttle in auto, all shifts occur at redline. You're either making all this up, or your wife is complaining about early shifting when she's not even using full throttle.
Old 05-25-2016, 05:17 AM
lunarx
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

It's true that a PDK 991 needs to be driven hard, to keep the revs up.
Also, the car gets real loud, when the revs climb, which might be why your wife avoids getting into the throttle.
Try plugging the Sound Symposer.
Ironically, a quieter cabin encourages harder driving.
Old 05-25-2016, 08:27 AM
simplex
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dewinator
The PDK in "auto" sometimes makes choices I wouldn't, which is why I keep it in manual. However your comments about shift points make me suspect you've never driven a PDK 991.
I don't need anyone to question my credibility. If you are paranoid, or a troll, please leave.

Originally Posted by Dewinator
At full throttle in auto, all shifts occur at redline. You're either making all this up, or your wife is complaining about early shifting when she's not even using full throttle.
She applies throttle in the regular linear fashion, as someone commuting to work would. She never revs it up. In Auto mode the PDK doesn't allow her to use "full throttle", as it short-shifts to maintain fuel economy.
Old 05-25-2016, 08:32 AM
simplex
Instructor

Originally Posted by lunarx
It's true that a PDK 991 needs to be driven hard, to keep the revs up.
Also, the car gets real loud, when the revs climb, which might be why your wife avoids getting into the throttle.
Try plugging the Sound Symposer.
Ironically, a quieter cabin encourages harder driving.
She actually doesn't mind the engine noise. Whenever I drive (and use the manual mode), she'd sometimes say that she likes it, and wished the car sounded like that when she drove. Her main complaint (which I understand) is that the car doesn't automatically upshift much higher in the rpm.
Old 05-25-2016, 08:44 AM
oalvarez
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

The op's question was essentially answered in the second post. The owner doesn't want to keep the pedal depressed to achieve a higher shift point nor does the owner want to drive the car in manual mode. That's the person's prerogative; but something they will have to live with as I don't there is a remedy to allow for such. Next.

Last edited by oalvarez; 05-25-2016 at 01:30 PM.
Old 05-25-2016, 09:08 AM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 327 Likes on 187 Posts

She needs Sport Chrono....where revs stay high, even when putzing along in auto mode, and shifts are at redline. That will get her driving juices flowing. Sounds like a new car is in her future.
Old 05-25-2016, 09:15 AM
simplex
Instructor

Originally Posted by oalvarez
The op's question was essentially answered in the second post.
This is correct, the second post provided the answer to our question. I have relayed it to my wife, and we are deciding what to do next. Probably swap for a 991.2 Carrera S with SportChrono, or add a BMW M4/M6 just for her.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:20 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,116 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by virage
She just never learned to drive the manual, so doing something she's never had to do (change gears) is not an intuitive thing for her. She's using the car as a daily commuter to work, and she doesn't want to learn news skills just to get from point A to point B.
Shifting in not hard to do at all in a PDK car and the learning curve is very very small (actually almost no learning curve). Don't know if she has ever tried it, or tried it and doesn't like it. To me, that is one of the fun parts of driving the car. Have her try it, it is not hard at all -- once she gets over any kind of fear she has about it, I am sure she will enjoy it.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:34 AM
simplex
Instructor

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Shifting in not hard to do at all in a PDK car and the learning curve is very very small (actually almost no learning curve). Don't know if she has ever tried it, or tried it and doesn't like it. To me, that is one of the fun parts of driving the car. Have her try it, it is not hard at all -- once she gets over any kind of fear she has about it, I am sure she will enjoy it.
I have tried telling this to her... Her response is: "look, when I am driving to work I am busy thinking about work, I don't need a new routine to learn and worry about".

On another note, I just found out about a gizmo called Sprint Booster. Has anyone had any experience with it?
Old 05-25-2016, 11:07 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Who drives in auto mode in Sport+ for normal street driving?? Shifting at near redline each gear?? You'll barely get out of second gear at any given time.

Nobody drives that way in a manual!

Sport Chrono I don't believe is the answer to what she's looking for. I think you're looking for a middle of the road button between sport and sport+!

Sport
Almost Sport+
Sport+

Am I missing something?
Old 05-25-2016, 12:54 PM
TheEngineer
Instructor

Maybe you should look at a Tesla. Tough to beat in the off the line torque department.

Quick Reply: PDK reprogam for 991.1