991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me decide on 2nd/wife's car...

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2017 | 10:38 AM
squid42
Burning Brakes

I drove one of those new C-classes yesterday. Was a C300 vert, so performance doesn't count.

I will say that the handling is incredibly improved over the W212 convertible. And that there is an impressive amount of toys, some of them useful, for the amount of money they ask.

The user interface for everything in there is screwed up. I am surprised that they still have a standard brake-gas pedal setup. Some product manager must go improve on that or something.

The transmissions in Mercedes' still drive me mad. But I suppose the AMG might be quite a bit different.
Old 09-30-2017 | 10:42 AM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MeshGearFox
And my wife (110% her decision) settled on...a BMW X5 xDrive35d.

But here's what really clinched it. She sat in a floor model with the multi-contour seats in "Criollo Brown Extended Merino Leather" with the leather dash. And it was game over. Car won on the seats and interior (it really is exceptionally nice leather and beyond comfortable). We actually spec'd out exactly what she wanted, and it was built and delivered in under six weeks.
Porsche is really making a mistake with their product management on leather choices. "Natural" in 1.5 colors doesn't cut it.

And there is no way to get a really black leather in a Porsche. Not even to the degree that BMW has if you don't buy "Dakota". IIRC the Mercedes "nappa" option is a much blacker black, too.

I haven't seen Porsche's new "Club leather" that they offer in the new Panamera. But again, no black.

Quick Reply: Help me decide on 2nd/wife's car...