Sponsored by:

2018 gts 4

Old 09-28-2017, 02:08 PM
elaw
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2018 gts 4

Hi Everyone,

I am new to Rennlist (Canadian). I am in the process of purchasing a 2018 991.2 gts 4. My dealer is trying to get me a Dec allocation. Configured it like on the Porsche website a thousand times....

A few questions for you guys that have a 991.2 GTS 4. I do not plan to track this car, more of a daily driver in the summer. Eventually drive it in the winter.

Is rear axle steering worth the cost? How about the LED headlights? Center lock or 5 lug wheels?

Thank you in advance for any advice.
Old 09-28-2017, 02:24 PM
caritch
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am sure there will be lots of opinions. I have a 2017 GTS 4. I love it. I did not get the rear axle steering or the LED. Don't have it so I don't miss it and don't wish I had it. I did get the PCCB's (fwiw) and don't think I could go back to non ceramic ever (my prior car was a 2015 cayman GTS). I took the CLs. It was an aesthetic choice. It decreased my winter choices increased the cost of the winter set up given the 12in rears. I do miss the ease of swapping it all out myself. If I purchased the breaker bar etc I am sure I could do it myself. But damaging the ceramic breaks is apparently an easy mistake. Personal call. I'd probably get the CL's again anyway but could have been and still could be talked out of them.
Old 09-28-2017, 02:30 PM
shake1
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

This video might help you regarding the LED headlights if you haven't seen it yet.

I would get center locks for sure, that's one of the key cool features of the GTS in my opinion and you shouldn't have much issue, especially if not tracking and swapping tires/wheels often.
Old 09-28-2017, 02:41 PM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 66 Posts

RWS is a must, center locks are forged, unlike the 5 lugs - get them. LED is completely unnecessary and at night the light/dark demarcation line is somewhat distracting.

You'll love it. I went from a .2 C4S to a T 4 GTS. Love it!!
Old 09-28-2017, 02:49 PM
elaw
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for your reply.

The dealer only had a C2S w/o RAS for the test drive. I thought it was absolutely amazing and I know the GTS will be even more so. I want AWD because it snows a bit here in case I do start driving it year round. My wife's new SQ5 has the LED headlights and they are bright!
Old 09-28-2017, 03:04 PM
991.2GTS
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi Elaw, where in Canada are you?
Old 09-28-2017, 03:07 PM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 66 Posts

AWD on these cars is awesome because it's rear-biased. RWS will allow you to pivot the car on its axis. It's ridiculous.
Old 09-28-2017, 03:11 PM
docmalone
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

I've had both LED and Xenon and LED are nice but not worth paying extra for (in my opinion) as the Xenon are great, too. I prefer the more classic rounded look of Xenon.

I've had one each of RAS and without, as well. This is another option I won't pay extra for because it still feels great and drives great without it.

Every time I order one, I go a little nuts for options that after having the car a few months I don't care about like I thought I would, I just love driving the darn thing. I still haven't learned my lesson to keep the options low!
Old 09-28-2017, 03:11 PM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 326 Likes on 216 Posts

Welcome....

RAS = yes!
LED = not necessary, I have the Xenons and they are great.
Center Locks = very cool, but limited to who can service them, mostly just dealers. I have them and like them. (I bought the right tools to take them off and on though)

Good luck with the rest!
Old 09-28-2017, 03:15 PM
9ELOVIN
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts

Hello elaw,

I would help to know what car(s) you're coming from to get a perspective on your driving experience. I picked up my '18 C4 GTS August 22. So, perhaps my $.02 can be of help. I can confirm the information above. Here is my take.

All of the options you describe are pricey... and worth it.

1. Rear Axle Steering ("RAS") gives the car a smaller turning circle and makes if feel more nimble at low speeds and more stable at high speed, esp. quick lane changes. You can order RAS alone but if you order Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control ("PDCC") you must get RAS. PDCC, while expensive, is amazing. The car will corner, accelerate and brake absolutely flat. More importantly for a daily driver, it will make the car more comfortable. Having said that, my 2006 4S Cab had neither option and was fabulous. So, I don't think you'll regret either choice.

2. LED headlights are great. So are the bi-xenon. I got the LEDs but again, the lights on my '06 were great too. I do love the lateral movement of the Porsche Dynamic Lighting System plus (PDLS +) on Southern California's twisty roads.

3. Centerlock. Hands down. AS BlackBeauty stated, they are forged: stronger and lighter than the alternatives which are cast. The CLs are also 1/2" wider front and rear though the tire sizes are the same. Each ounce saved on your wheels is equal a pound saved on the car itself. (sprung v. un-sprung mass). Get the 3/4" torque wrench, breaker bar and anti-sieze lubricant. It's not that much money and may save you sometime. You can look up here (PDF) how to properly change them or ask at the dealer. BTW, if you don't want black, you can get them painted through Porsche Exclusive. Again though, get what you want. You'll love it either way.

Centerlock wheel change:

Old 09-28-2017, 03:22 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,225 Likes on 771 Posts

Originally Posted by 9ELOVIN
Hello elaw,

I would help to know what car(s) you're coming from to get a perspective on your driving experience. I picked up my '18 C4 GTS August 22. So, perhaps my $.02 can be of help. I can confirm the information above. Here is my take.

All of the options you describe are pricey... and worth it.

1. Rear Axle Steering ("RAS") gives the car a smaller turning circle and makes if feel more nimble at low speeds and more stable at high speed, esp. quick lane changes. You can order RAS alone but if you order Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control ("PDCC") you must get RAS. PDCC, while expensive, is amazing. The car will corner, accelerate and brake absolutely flat. More importantly for a daily driver, it will make the car more comfortable. Having said that, my 2006 4S Cab had neither option and was fabulous. So, I don't think you'll regret either choice.

2. LED headlights are great. So are the bi-xenon. I got the LEDs but again, the lights on my '06 were great too. I do love the lateral movement of the Porsche Dynamic Lighting System plus (PDLS +) on Southern California's twisty roads.

3. Centerlock. Hands down. AS BlackBeauty stated, they are forged: stronger and lighter than the alternatives which are cast. The CLs are also 1/2" wider front and rear though the tire sizes are the same. Each ounce saved on your wheels is equal a pound saved on the car itself. (sprung v. un-sprung mass). Get the 3/4" torque wrench, breaker bar and anti-sieze lubricant. It's not that much money and may save you sometime. You can look up here (PDF) how to properly change them or ask at the dealer. BTW, if you don't want black, you can get them painted through Porsche Exclusive. Again though, get what you want. You'll love it either way.

Centerlock wheel change: https://youtu.be/8Occky5wSB4

+1

I have all those options, and I am very pleased with all of them. I drove my wife’s SQ5 with HID headlights over the weekend, and they aren’t close to being as good as the PDLS+ headlights in the Porsche. Changing centerlock wheels between seasons isn’t as easy as 5-lug wheels, but it’s not bad once you have the tools. You can purchase a centering tool that helps to protect your PCCBs during wheel changes.
Old 09-28-2017, 03:32 PM
Jerry991
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

If you are going to be driving the car in the winter you will have to get winter tires as summer tires are a disaster waiting to happen in cold temperatures. If you have centerlocks you will most likely have to go to the dealer to change over the tires. You could buy a second set of center locks which will certainly be very expensive. The non-centerlocks aren't quite as cool looking, etc. but they will make changeover much easier or a second set of wheels much less expensive.
Old 09-28-2017, 06:13 PM
KenTO
Burning Brakes

Received 519 Likes on 197 Posts

RAS great for track, not needed for regular driving, I have LEDs but not necessary.

Centerlock wheels look great but it is more difficult to get winter tires for them, you have to order separate tires/ rims as winter tires only are not yet available in the correct size.

I have the winters in my garage and have a mobile service (TireButler in GTA) come to my house to mount them.
Old 09-28-2017, 09:35 PM
bwiele
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I have the RAS, the LEDs and the CLs on my 2017 T4 GTS and I love the whole package. I don't know if I'd actually miss them. But I've never regretted having them and the money I spend to get them is a thing of the past that I never dwell on. The only thing I'd change if I were to start again would be to give the PCCBs a try to help in the clean wheel department, not to reduce track fade, because I don't track my car. I know that isn't economically sensible, but for me this car is a reward for my hard work, and I don't have to justify every cost. So there!
Old 09-28-2017, 11:30 PM
XLOR8T
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As a repeat. RAS makes the car very nimble. I was pleasantly surprised as I ordered it not having driven a RAS car before. LED is cosmetic. I ordered because just about every car on dealer lot was LED and many ppl order non GTS with premium plus package that comes with LED so it feels odd not having it if ur thinking resale etc.

CL make the GTS for me and I'm willing to live with all the downside people have mentioned.

Where on Canada are you. If you're local to GTA PM if you want to see/feel the options.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2018 gts 4