Sponsored by:

Let's Talk Colors and Cost

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 10:00 AM
Jerry991
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Let's Talk Colors and Cost

I saw a forum member post an ad for a 991 GTS in Mexico Blue and he was asking $15K above MSRP and this got me thinking about the whole subject of Porsche colors and cost. I visited a Ford dealer looking at a new Mustang for my son and there was one in orange that was close to Lava Orange and there was one in blue that was close to Mexico Blue or some other PTS blue - in both cases there was no additional charge for either color. Now I can see an argument that the PTS colors allow for a far greater color choice than nearly any other car company offers so there is a premium because of the disruption it causes in the manufacturing process but this is based upon the view that the premium for a regular color is something we can understand. Is there really some way to explain why Lava Orange is more than $3K extra? Let me throw in another fact that really makes it hard to explain - how about all those people who paid more than $3K for GT Silver which is now $710 - has there suddenly been a magic formula to which brought the cost down 75%? When the 50th Anniversary was being sold you could get 2 PTS colors or one standard color for the same price. I know I'm just ranting but what does it say about us Porsche owners - next: deviated stitching and the cost of thread.
Old 05-16-2016, 10:29 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

Proceeding under the assumption that modern auto pricing is a "cost plus" proposition will always leave you perplexed. Pricing is a complex algorithm that attempts to find the max that can be made on a given car line. The point where a rising price curve meets a falling demand curve.
Old 05-16-2016, 10:54 AM
Vise
Drifting

Received 330 Likes on 204 Posts

Exactly. Porsche can charge $3k for orange or $6k for some special blue because they can and the market will accept it. End of story.
Old 05-16-2016, 11:02 AM
TrappistMonk
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Interesting article on colors and how car manufacturers (in europe) have different approaches. I found it while looking for the Lancia Ypsilon, a very small, unsuccessful car sales-wise that was offered in 112 colors.

http://europe.autonews.com/article/1...vs-brand-image
Old 05-16-2016, 11:04 AM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Vise
Exactly. Porsche can charge $3k for orange or $6k for some special blue because they can and the market will accept it. End of story.
Bingo. No rhyme or reason. Just algorithms and dollar signs. Perfectly rational behavior for a corporation.
Old 05-16-2016, 11:12 AM
Jerry991
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts

There is no question that Porsche can charge whatever it wants to provided there is a demand at that price. There are many reasons for this phenomenon. One is that there are enough people who are fortunate enough not to care about the cost. Some will argue that PTS color cars will bring more money on resale but I haven't seen sufficient evidence to support that claim. But what about colors like Lava Orange or GT Silver - I don't see any evidence of their commanding a premium price on resale. What kills any credibility on the subject is the 75% drop in price for GT Silver. I believe that Porsche limits value in determining residuals which to me, demonstrates that even Porsche recognizes that the option prices can be totally unrealistic.

So what is my point in this exercise: Unless you are fortunate enough not to care about money then you need to consider the long term value of the options you put on your car and this includes color.
Old 05-16-2016, 11:16 AM
c_Gio
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

There is something to the amount of time in the booth... A fellow PCA member has a 918 and PTS options on that were 10's of thousands. I don't want to misquote the labor as I've now forgotten but it was tons of coats, and many many hours more than normal. As in the booth cannot be used to paint X Porsches for Y amount of time because its painting just one 918. Seems reasonable then that the PTS paint would cost at least as much as what was lost......
Old 05-16-2016, 11:29 AM
docmalone
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

I can attest to the fact that you get NOTHING more on trade or resale for PTS unless you sit back and wait for however long it takes for that one person who wants that particular color above all others. I for one am just so bored with black/white/silver that I will search and wait and special order to get something unique. I wish I could just stay happy with my old favorite (white)!
Old 05-16-2016, 11:42 AM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by docmalone
I can attest to the fact that you get NOTHING more on trade or resale for PTS unless you sit back and wait for however long it takes for that one person who wants that particular color above all others. I for one am just so bored with black/white/silver that I will search and wait and special order to get something unique. I wish I could just stay happy with my old favorite (white)!
Must respectfully disagree Doc. Trade, yes. Resale, no. In the secondary marketplace a desirable PTS will pull a premium. My 1-of-1 PTS 993TT is a good example. Ditto for MB 991 cars, etc. This may be true for some PTS and not all, admittedly.
Old 05-16-2016, 11:44 AM
Chiboy
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by docmalone
Ha! I see in your sig that you had a white/blue 991S Cab. I have a non-S in white/blue. I've not yet seen another in my 2 1/2 years of ownership. What color was your interior? Mine is blue leather. BTW, this was bought off the floor, not ordered by me. I do love the white/blue look as well as not seeing them around every corner (or any corner).
Old 05-16-2016, 11:55 AM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by TorqueChap
Must respectfully disagree Doc. Trade, yes. Resale, no. In the secondary marketplace a desirable PTS will pull a premium. My 1-of-1 PTS 993TT is a good example. Ditto for MB 991 cars, etc. This may be true for some PTS and not all, admittedly.
I agree Torque. I've had dealers and other rennlisters PM asking to purchase my car at xx dollars over. All offers way above the going rate for non PTS cars.
Old 05-16-2016, 12:01 PM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I am lucky enough to really not care too much about exterior colours, however, I really care about interior colours. The car can have most exterior colors but if it doesn't have the interior color I am looking for. I will never buy it. The Porsche PTS program is about nostalgia. A lot of the older folks like the colors that remind them of the Porsche cars they fell in love with - they will naturally pay more for it. When I see PTS, I am turned off. Mexico Blue, Signal [insert color], Fashion Grey, etc., just the names of these colors are absolute throwbacks, and uninteresting. The 991 GT forum lights up the second a PTS thread is created or commented on. Most care, some don't.
Old 05-16-2016, 12:09 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,621 Likes on 2,352 Posts

Originally Posted by c_Gio
There is something to the amount of time in the booth... A fellow PCA member has a 918 and PTS options on that were 10's of thousands. I don't want to misquote the labor as I've now forgotten but it was tons of coats, and many many hours more than normal. As in the booth cannot be used to paint X Porsches for Y amount of time because its painting just one 918. Seems reasonable then that the PTS paint would cost at least as much as what was lost......
its been rumored that PTS cars are actually outsourced and hand painted ...
Old 05-17-2016, 01:24 PM
Nick
Race Car

Received 197 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
its been rumored that PTS cars are actually outsourced and hand painted ...
This may explain why I believe it was Peter Stout who commented that Porsche PTS colors look richer and more vibrant.
Old 05-17-2016, 03:39 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 611 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
This may explain why I believe it was Peter Stout who commented that Porsche PTS colors look richer and more vibrant.
May God bless you, Nick, but that's not what I said. Never have I come across a reader who so often reads my words and so consistently takes away something completely different!

I find this fascinating. If ever you're in SF, feel free to drop me a line. I think a beer or coffee is in order! Maybe I will learn something!

Quick Reply: Let's Talk Colors and Cost