Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fabspeed Exhaust for 991.2

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 08:06 PM
ANYC
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 300 Mile Review of the Fabspeed Exhaust for the 911.2 (with PSE)

I had originally started this thread with a video of my car on Fabspeed's DynoJet last week but after spending 6 hours in my car today alone I realized that the video I posted was not an accurate representation of what my car sounds like. For that, I apologize.

I have never reviewed anything on a forum before, as I am frequently a little late to the party, but I'll take a stab at it.

First and foremost, this thing is really freaking loud. I pulled away from my apartment after unloading some things and I think every single head turned to look at my car. Thankfully its easy to spot because its orange!

I tried to record a video on my phone but my mic could not handle the volume, I think this is the big reason why videos aren't replicating the in-person sound. Fabspeed uses a stationary mic on the side of the road when they record their videos, I think their professional video will better represent the way the car sounds on the outside.

That being said, I was able to get good footage of the car being driven hard. That video is available here: https://www.instagram.com/p/BFeL9G3Q...=moltenlava911
(I would certainly benefit from a follow if you have IG!)

In terms of dyno, the baseline dyno has the car at 377 HP and 375 ft-Lbs at the wheels! Serious power. The Fabspeed exhaust had significant gains with peak HP up 31 HP to 408 WHP. Thats more than a 8.22% increase over baseline!! Torque also saw a significant increase but I won't know the exact number until tomorrow.

Because of the increased flow, the turbos are spooling quicker which has even further reduced the turbo lag. At this point, given the weight of the gas pedal, it is imperceptible to me. I spent the weekend daily driving a 997 C2S and this comes really freaking close to being as responsive. To be honest, I found my car to want to rev more than the 997. Perhaps I was too gentle with the 997 because I was borrowing it.

Lastly, the public perception of the sound has been fantastic. I drive a lot and I have driven unique cars and I have never gotten this many thumbs up from people that I passed or that passed me. On the West Side Highway, a guy pushing his 3-series opened his sunroof to put up a big thumbs up. As I pulled in to my apartment, a Maserati Gran Tourismo driver pulled over to compliment me on how good the car sounds.

In the end, I am really impressed with this exhaust. I think anyone who purchases the exhaust will be very satisfied with it.

I am based in the NYC area in the event anyone wants to hear it in person. I will be spending time in Manhasset, East Hampton, and Norther Jersey as well. Feel free to PM me.

https://www.instagram.com/moltenlava911/

Last edited by ANYC; 05-17-2016 at 12:32 PM.
Old 05-13-2016, 12:52 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Sorry but to my ears that sounds HORRIBLE.

I have EVERY intention of purchasing a 991.2 next year with PSE. This "modified" exhaust sounds worse than stock to me. Just a quiet little whistle.

Also, is the title correct, Catalyst BYPASS system? If so that is not going to be legal where I live anyway so it wont matter.

I was hoping for so much more from Fabspeed.

Well you changed your first post ( thank you) so my response does not really apply now. Sounds OK from inside the cab. I'll reserve further judgement until I hear it in person but again, no cats is no going to fly in California.

Thanks for the update.

Last edited by rkwfxd; 05-18-2016 at 12:53 PM.
Old 05-13-2016, 12:58 PM
ANYC
Track Day

Originally Posted by rkwfxd

I have EVERY intention of purchasing a 991.2 next year with PSE. This "modified" exhaust sounds worse than stock to me. Just a quiet little whistle.

Also, is the title correct, Catalyst BYPASS system? If so that is not going to be legal where I live anyway so it wont matter.

I totally understand. For me this note was too deep. Videos tend to exacerbate the turbo whistle in ways that we don't hear on the street. As I mentioned in the post this isn't my final set up. I won't be running cat bypass pipes but rather sport cats.

Here is a cell phone video of that set up.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7trG1XeuX48&feature=youtu.be
Old 05-13-2016, 02:08 PM
lkoury
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts

The more I hear the 991.2 exhaust in any variant, the happier I am with my '16 C2S with X- pipe bypass. Hard to beat the sound.
Old 05-13-2016, 03:13 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

I love the sound of my '16 with PSE but when I am honest with myself, the 991.2 is a better car for me. Sound or no sound.
Old 05-13-2016, 05:31 PM
Jnosol
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

If you heard the 991.2 with Sport Exhaust in person, your opinion would change. The OEM sport exhaust is way too quiet and has no character. Fabspeed should resolve this. I think Fabspeed sounds much better than stock, louder and throatier. The exhaust noise need to drown out the horrible vacuum cleaner sound (aka tiny twin turbos spool).

Last edited by Jnosol; 05-13-2016 at 05:52 PM.
Old 05-13-2016, 05:32 PM
robbie9999
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

What was the dyno pull numbers for you on your car ?

As per the sound there are 1.2 million exhaust companies out there, only matter of time before someone posts something for 991.2 that is brilliant hopefully as good as the GTS or GT3 sound there incredible sounding !!!
Old 05-13-2016, 05:56 PM
Jnosol
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by robbie9999

As per the sound there are 1.2 million exhaust companies out there, only matter of time before someone posts something for 991.2 that is brilliant hopefully as good as the GTS or GT3 sound there incredible sounding !!!
Lots of exhaust companies out there. Not many are American made and Porsche focus like Fabspeed. They make high quality stuff.

What I will tell you is the 991.2 will NEVER sound as good as GTS/GT3. I had an F80 M3 (3.0 TT), there's no exhaust in the world that would make it sound as good as the previous M3 with the N/A V8. Same story with these.

But having an exhaust would be a huge improvement over stock (in terms of sound), even with stock OEM exhaust. Hope to see Fabspeed's Dyno results.
Old 05-13-2016, 06:58 PM
Cristophosphorus
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Jesus. I was expecting much, much better. I absolutely will keep in mind, though, that this is a video clip and it (hopefully) sounds better in RL.
Old 05-15-2016, 08:30 PM
ANYC
Track Day

Hi All.

Originally Posted by robbie9999

Unfortunately, I haven't been given the green light to discuss the gains, but they are impressive

Originally Posted by Jnosol
What I will tell you is the 991.2 will NEVER sound as good as GTS/GT3. I had an F80 M3 (3.0 TT), there's no exhaust in the world that would make it sound as good as the previous M3 with the N/A V8. Same story with these.
I agree.

I don't know if we will ever get that type of sound out of this engine. I think it has the potential to sound really great but we do have to accept that we are going to hear the turbo spool. I personally think the sound is cool, but I know that I may be in the minority here.

Originally Posted by Cristophosphorus
Jesus. I was expecting much, much better. I absolutely will keep in mind, though, that this is a video clip and it (hopefully) sounds better in RL.
I'm picking up the car tomorrow morning and I'll get to go on a nice drive back to the city. I am off from work so I will spend time with the car and I'll write up a review.

My understanding is that they will post more professional videos soon.

I do think the sport cats in the second video sound good.

I think it gets a bit too loud of the cell phone at 10 seconds

I'll post again tomorrow. Hopefully I can share the gains!
Old 05-16-2016, 05:18 PM
stephen k
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

I came across this video a couple nights ago browsing through youtube and I had a feeling it was your car!! Looks great!

I expected for the exhaust to produce a much louder sound. I hope Fabspeed can hurry and post more videos and give insight to power increase. I bet it is going to be quite a bit!

Stephen
Old 05-16-2016, 11:02 PM
ANYC
Track Day

Originally Posted by stephen k
I came across this video a couple nights ago browsing through youtube and I had a feeling it was your car!! Looks great!

I expected for the exhaust to produce a much louder sound. I hope Fabspeed can hurry and post more videos and give insight to power increase. I bet it is going to be quite a bit!

Stephen
I am about to write up a review after having been in the car for 6 hours today but I want you to know its F***ING LOUD! Check out the video on my instagram account: https://www.instagram.com/moltenlava911/

Because this exhaust needs to be heard, anyone interested in meeting up to hear it can PM me. I am in the NYC area but I travel to NJ with frequency. Its definitely worth hearing.
Old 05-16-2016, 11:09 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, I'd have to hear it in person I think.

Did you bother to run it in before dynoing? (no need to start a "no need to" vs "I do so religiously" debate in the thread, just curious).

Last edited by 917k; 05-17-2016 at 11:36 PM. Reason: Typo "bother" not both
Old 05-16-2016, 11:43 PM
ANYC
Track Day

Originally Posted by 917k
Yes, I'd have to hear it in person I think.

Did you both to run it in before dynoing? (no need to start a "no need to" vs "I do so religiously" debate in the thread, just curious).
Come hear it! We did dyno it. I updated the post with a review which I think is worth reading. But to answer your question WHP went from 377 to 408 on a dyno jet dyno. I'm impressed.
Old 05-17-2016, 05:30 AM
theaudir8fan
Track Day

Originally Posted by ANYC
Come hear it! We did dyno it. I updated the post with a review which I think is worth reading. But to answer your question WHP went from 377 to 408 on a dyno jet dyno. I'm impressed.
is that with catless or high flow cats? also I'm assuming you don't have a tune yet, any O2 sensor fault codes?

Quick Reply: Fabspeed Exhaust for 991.2