Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

We must be really stupid

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 04:45 PM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

As someone with a career in finance I can tell you that when we structure deals, constant payments, with non changing principle and interests charges, are not considered amortization style pay downs. They reflect much more an interest only loan. And even that is not 100% accurate. But hey this is finance and it's man made - call it whatever you want.

I would still never lease a Porsche.
Old 05-13-2016, 11:52 PM
Valkuri
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you're going to keep it: Buy it.
If it's one in a series: Lease it.
There. 75 comments and 900 paragraphs of accounting, condensed into two sentences.

New York? Great food and museums. Pricey and full of people I don't care to brush past on the sidewalk.
San Francisco? Nice bridge. Too expensive. Politically…let's not touch that one.
Left Chicago after 50 years. For this. Fewer restaurants, but no traffic jams, and no crowds.

To each his own. Find where you're happy, and drive what you like, while there.
Old 05-14-2016, 12:54 AM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

I will add that I honestly don't know if I will end up keeping the car or not, so I am doing my first lease. Willing to pay for less hassle at end of lease should I not want the car anymore. If I do want the car then will pay cash for residual value.
Old 05-14-2016, 03:12 AM
The New 911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by skiahh
Pot (no pun intended), meet kettle.

Your getting all high and mighty about NY and then denigrating CO for legalizing pot is no better than dewinator saying living in NYC is stupid.

And to address your points, I'd take the Rocky Mountains, Colorado River, the hundreds (thousands?) of miles of hiking and biking and horseback riding trails, skiing, kayaking, rafting etc etc etc over the urban jungle any day. I like visiting NYC, but after a week or two, I've had enough. I don't get why anyone would want to live like that, but that's just my perspective.

Did dewinator attack NYC? Technically, no... he attacked everyone living there! I guess sarcasm and hyperbole are hard to understand via the typed word, though.

As for CO knowing? The military commander who would fight any attack to NYC (or anywhere else in the country, for that matter) is in CO; CO Springs, to be specific. You can bet that CO would know if there was an attack; the stoners wouldn't care very much, but NORAD and US Northern Command are on watch every day.
On Watch every second of every day!

The stoners are a population you don't have to worry about. They could care less about any other population just as long as they are left alone.
Old 09-26-2016, 12:10 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,457 Likes on 760 Posts

Why only buying to keep for one year???

I think leasing for just a year does not make sense
Old 09-26-2016, 04:52 PM
Scottish Pete
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Owning a Porsche 911 in New York City brought back memories . . .
I was visiting my cousins in their summer home near Loch Tay in Scotland in 1989. My cousin John was on vacation from his job in London running a major bank. We took a 70 mile drive to Balmoral with John driving his wife's Volvo turbo wagon. He was manually shifiting the automatic and keeping the turbo spooled up as we wrapped around corners with me in the back seat.
My cousin Anne was in the right front seat and pleaded with her husband "John, slow down, Cousin Peter is turning green!"
I was reluctant to say anything, as his other company car in London was a new 911 that sat at home as he used the London Tube to get to and from work and as a car enthusiast rarely got a chance to drive in the countryside.
I knew he was enjoying himself immensely and really did not want to hinder his fun. I was getting pretty nauseated though . . .
Old 09-26-2016, 05:50 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,256 Posts

Originally Posted by Duke I
I spent 25 years working in NYC. Loved my work, the city and the passion of the people. Great city, great people. I too "go NYC" from time to time when someone is deserving.

+1

I'm originally from California and spent 10 years of my life back in NYC and had a 964 Carrera-2 to head up to Newport, Rhode Island every Friday night.
Newport is so addicting that I once drove up 25 weekends in a row out of Manhattan. 183 miles each way.
Once off I-95, taking 138-East into Rhode Island and over the Newport Bridge felt like "home" to me.

A great place to live when you are young and making money.
But not a great place to own an expensive sports car.

Last edited by Diablo Dude; 09-26-2016 at 06:25 PM.
Old 09-26-2016, 07:18 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,610 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Originally Posted by Scottish Pete
Owning a Porsche 911 in New York City brought back memories . . .
I was visiting my cousins in their summer home near Loch Tay in Scotland in 1989. My cousin John was on vacation from his job in London running a major bank. We took a 70 mile drive to Balmoral with John driving his wife's Volvo turbo wagon. He was manually shifiting the automatic and keeping the turbo spooled up as we wrapped around corners with me in the back seat.
My cousin Anne was in the right front seat and pleaded with her husband "John, slow down, Cousin Peter is turning green!"
I was reluctant to say anything, as his other company car in London was a new 911 that sat at home as he used the London Tube to get to and from work and as a car enthusiast rarely got a chance to drive in the countryside.
I knew he was enjoying himself immensely and really did not want to hinder his fun. I was getting pretty nauseated though . . .
great roads, I personally want to drive the NC500 sometime.
Old 09-26-2016, 08:04 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 991carreradriver
Listen, we have pot holes in NYC that they could charge tolls to drive over. At $4,000 per wheel and tire, I will go with the Camry any day.
Pics of 4K wheel and tire please.

Quick Reply: We must be really stupid