Sponsored by:

Weird Coolant issue 991.2

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 09:27 PM
fuddman
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeffdehr
Got the car back from dealer today. They "reflashed DME" as part of WG30 Campaign. I was told it was a software issue that caused the red warning.

I drove about 15 minutes from dealer. Guess what? Same red warning came on. I pulled over and shut car off. Turned it back on warning went away.

Called the dealer, of course the service department was now closed. Stay tuned. I guess I'm going back to the dealer for another look
If your in California, and it happens one more time, you can lemon it. And get a new one.
Old 07-18-2016, 11:14 PM
KeysToHappiness
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I must admit guys my dealer didn't even debate it. Took the car, took the bumper off, checked the sensor on the reservoir, observe the 'hairline crack' and ordered a new reservoir from Germany. Again no issues since and now just over 4000km. With plenty of fun had!

Last edited by KeysToHappiness; 07-19-2016 at 04:16 AM.
Old 07-29-2016, 07:51 PM
Jeffdehr
Rennlist Member

Just got my car back from the dealer for the second visit for this issue. It took them 2 weeks to find the problem and get the part from Germany. As KeysToHappiness said the "Equalizing Tank / Coolant Reservoir" and "Coolant Level Sensor" were replaced.

Hopefully this solves the problem. I'll find out soon enough, I have 2 weeks of missed driving to make up!
Old 08-19-2016, 06:01 AM
Christian Gaurie
1st Gear

hello !
My Name is Christian Gaurie I am from Marseille from France
I have a new 991 /2 since March 2016
I have excatly the same problem
The dealer has the car and is changing today the " Equalizing Tank / Coolant Reservoir"
The sensor has been changed 2 days ago , and the problem was still there !

A bientôt peut être qui sait
Old 08-19-2016, 07:56 AM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 72 Posts

Hi everyone, there's a service bulletin out on this- it's typically one of 2 things, either the floating fluid level detector is bad, or there's a defect in the reservoir itself. The later strangely can cause the floating sensor to give off a false reading. If you're experiencing this, take it to the dealer as suggested above and they can quickly address it as the two replacement parts are going out en masses to them.
Old 08-19-2016, 07:56 AM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 72 Posts

My problem was the floater.
Old 08-19-2016, 02:20 PM
vivekg
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BlackBeauty
Hi everyone, there's a service bulletin out on this- it's typically one of 2 things, either the floating fluid level detector is bad, or there's a defect in the reservoir itself. The later strangely can cause the floating sensor to give off a false reading. If you're experiencing this, take it to the dealer as suggested above and they can quickly address it as the two replacement parts are going out en masses to them.
Yup, I told my dealer that it had happened again and that fluids were all fine. They looked and told me the same that there is a service bulletin. They have ordered a new reservoir (with sensor) and are replacing it next week. Hopefully, this takes care of the issue.
Old 08-21-2016, 06:33 AM
dambor
7th Gear

Hi there,
I'm an 991.2 c2s pdk owner from Spain.
Similar issue here with a little twist.
I got the red low coolant warning and temp spike at 2k miles. I stopped, restarted and the message was gone. The coolant level was indeed a little low, but within the marks. I experienced a very slow decline in the coolant level over the next few days but no warnings (level still within max & min) and no signs of leakage. I had the car checked by the dealer and coolant level has remained stable since and have had no warnings.
But two days ago and on a cold start, I got a yellow low coolant warning. I checked the coolant level and it was perfect. I restarted the car and the message was gone. Yesterday, same issue. Today, none. Car is now 6k miles. Sofware/sensor glitch?

Last edited by dambor; 08-21-2016 at 11:14 AM.
Old 08-26-2016, 11:41 AM
vivekg
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got my car back on Wednesday after having the coolant tank (w/Sensor) replaced and have not seen a repeat of the coolant warning so far. I am hoping this has fixed the problem for me. While I was there they also did two updates to the car. The first was for the front axle lift and the other was a general update.
Old 08-26-2016, 12:33 PM
fuddman
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dambor
Hi there,
I'm an 991.2 c2s pdk owner from Spain.
Similar issue here with a little twist.
I got the red low coolant warning and temp spike at 2k miles. I stopped, restarted and the message was gone. The coolant level was indeed a little low, but within the marks. I experienced a very slow decline in the coolant level over the next few days but no warnings (level still within max & min) and no signs of leakage. I had the car checked by the dealer and coolant level has remained stable since and have had no warnings.
But two days ago and on a cold start, I got a yellow low coolant warning. I checked the coolant level and it was perfect. I restarted the car and the message was gone. Yesterday, same issue. Today, none. Car is now 6k miles. Sofware/sensor glitch?
IMO, ruptures in coolant tanks are often very small and difficult to spot with the naked eye. Residue from the coolant crack isn't all that easy to see either.
As stated above, Porsche has acknowledged the source of the recent coolant problems as either a coolant tank rupture or coolant level sensor failure. I guess it could be both and, in your case, it sounds like it is both. I'd suggest taking your car back to the dealer, point to the Porsche service bulletin, and ask he replace both.
Good luck with it.
Old 08-26-2016, 02:59 PM
Mark-991.2
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

After reading this thread I called and spoke to my local Porsche Service Manager and he stated that there is a service bulletin regarding this issue and the fix is a software update that he said takes about an hour to complete.

Last edited by Mark-991.2; 08-26-2016 at 04:18 PM.
Old 08-26-2016, 04:16 PM
Jeffdehr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark-991.2
After reading this thread I called and spoke to my local Porsche Server Manager and he stated that there is a service bulletin regarding this issue and the fix is a software update that he said takes about an hour to complete.
Mark - Please read post #29 on the thread. I was originally told it was a software issue. The dealer updated the software and gave the car back to me. On the drive home from the dealer the red warning came on again. Took it back to the dealer where it waited 2 weeks for the expansion tank to get replaced. Based on the posts it seems the it is a hardware and software issue.
Old 08-26-2016, 04:25 PM
Mark-991.2
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeffdehr
Mark - Please read post #29 on the thread. I was originally told it was a software issue. The dealer updated the software and gave the car back to me. On the drive home from the dealer the red warning came on again. Took it back to the dealer where it waited 2 weeks for the expansion tank to get replaced. Based on the posts it seems the it is a hardware and software issue.
What I would like to know is how many 991.2 cars that had it fixed with only the software update and how many required both hardware and software. I suspect it might be too early in the TSB campaign to know for sure if every car is going to need the hardware fix as well. I certainly hope that all I need is the software fix. Right now my car is not having either problem.
Old 08-26-2016, 04:38 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

are the fittings glued in still on 991 ?
Old 09-09-2016, 05:19 AM
dambor
7th Gear

Originally Posted by fuddman
IMO, ruptures in coolant tanks are often very small and difficult to spot with the naked eye. Residue from the coolant crack isn't all that easy to see either.
As stated above, Porsche has acknowledged the source of the recent coolant problems as either a coolant tank rupture or coolant level sensor failure. I guess it could be both and, in your case, it sounds like it is both. I'd suggest taking your car back to the dealer, point to the Porsche service bulletin, and ask he replace both.
Good luck with it.
I went to the dealer and it seems that (at least in Spain) they don't have that service bulletin. Maybe not enough cases yet?. They checked the car computer and there were no messages. They mades some software updates to the frontal lift system and some other I don't recall and that was it.
Coolant level is still ok (no change in level) and the "yellow" warning has not appeared again.
I guess (hopefully not) this is "to be continued"...

Quick Reply: Weird Coolant issue 991.2