Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird Coolant issue 991.2

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2016, 02:14 AM
mlkn
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had my reservoir and sensor changed for this issue. I'm in Denver and they have the service bulletin. If it happens, bring it in right away. The code gets purged after a certain number of miles.
Old 09-15-2016, 11:22 PM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 139 Posts

Seems to be a lot of C4S mentioned here. My .1 C4S going in next week for exactly this issue.
Old 09-16-2016, 10:57 AM
vivekg
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spiderv6
Seems to be a lot of C4S mentioned here. My .1 C4S going in next week for exactly this issue.
After the last round of getting things fixed I have not had the problem and have put another 1500 miles or so on the car. So things seem to have worked out okay as far as I can tell.
Old 09-16-2016, 11:59 AM
77tony
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by vivekg
After the last round of getting things fixed I have not had the problem and have put another 1500 miles or so on the car. So things seem to have worked out okay as far as I can tell.
Glad to hear that worked out for you. While on the subject, how often does the coolant sytem need to be flushed and new fluid/distilled water added ? Don't remember seeing it on the maintenance schedule. T
Old 09-16-2016, 12:07 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,402 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Originally Posted by 77tony
Glad to hear that worked out for you. While on the subject, how often does the coolant sytem need to be flushed and new fluid/distilled water added ? Don't remember seeing it on the maintenance schedule. T
Well, Porsche says lifetime. Or unless the system is opened for a repair, like a water pump.

I plan to have the coolant flushed proactively at about 6 years and/or about 75,000 miles.
Old 09-20-2016, 04:41 PM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LexVan
Well, Porsche says lifetime. Or unless the system is opened for a repair, like a water pump.

I plan to have the coolant flushed proactively at about 6 years and/or about 75,000 miles.
Reservoir and sensor changed today and problem solved.

Service manager told me that the part had changed 4 times compared to the version I had in my '16.

I hope they have finally nailed this............
Old 10-31-2016, 10:08 AM
dambor
7th Gear

After 2 visits to the dealer and several spooky red messages of "no coolant - stop immediately", Porsche Spain finally recognised there's a fault part and issued a service bulletin to replace the reservoir and sensor on my 991.2 Carrera S. This will be done next week. I hope this solves the issue.
Old 10-31-2016, 03:29 PM
KeysToHappiness
Track Day

Originally Posted by dambor
After 2 visits to the dealer and several spooky red messages of "no coolant - stop immediately", Porsche Spain finally recognised there's a fault part and issued a service bulletin to replace the reservoir and sensor on my 991.2 Carrera S. This will be done next week. I hope this solves the issue.
Dambor, it will be no issue once the parts are changed. I can tell you from Australia, as I was the first here to have it fixed by my dealer. It was initially replaced with a new coolant reservoir as like for like and that was months ago. No issues since. However, Porsche Australia just recently sent me a letter stating there was a service bulletin for the issue. Now having had the part replaced I thought, hmmmm what are the chances of the part having been redesigned. As I said after the first replacement part I have not had any issues, but after contacting my dealer.... the new coolant reservoir was indeed different from the first replacement. New coolant reservoir in, still no issues, and great service from Porsche Australia. Hope the additional info is helpful. I still have the letter from Porsche as well. JJ
Old 11-04-2016, 04:09 PM
SecBarbie
1st Gear

So glad I saw this!

My 991.2 Carrera 4S Cabriolet has been mine for 6 weeks and started having a 'Coolant' issues. Took it to the dealer, they topped off the coolant, told me there was a TSB on it and that they ordered the 'part', but that it was fine to drive.

Three days later on a cool Chicago morning (that happened to be the same day as the Cubs World Series Parade) I got this 5 minutes after starting the car "Refill Coolant Immediately Stop Driving". I called the dealer and then roadside to get it to the dealer, but what the heck is going on? Does anyone know how to access the TSB so I can at least learn more about what is going on?
Old 11-04-2016, 06:09 PM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SecBarbie
So glad I saw this!

My 991.2 Carrera 4S Cabriolet has been mine for 6 weeks and started having a 'Coolant' issues. Took it to the dealer, they topped off the coolant, told me there was a TSB on it and that they ordered the 'part', but that it was fine to drive.

Three days later on a cool Chicago morning (that happened to be the same day as the Cubs World Series Parade) I got this 5 minutes after starting the car "Refill Coolant Immediately Stop Driving". I called the dealer and then roadside to get it to the dealer, but what the heck is going on? Does anyone know how to access the TSB so I can at least learn more about what is going on?
Yep that's the issue. Bad sensor. Your coolant is probably filled to the top. Mine was. It's probably 100% fine to drive (my dealer told me it was).

You may not have the ***** to drive it with that red message staring you in the face. I didn't....flat bed to the dealer until it was fixed!
Old 11-12-2016, 03:25 PM
GTSwest
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
Default coolant warning

just had this same warning occur on my 991 GTS - driving along normally at 90 degrees coolant temp shot up and warning came on.

Shut the engine off and called Porsche roadside assistance. Decided to pull the car to a bit safer spot off the road and on restart the temps were normal and the warning was off. Drove home with no further trouble.

Will schedule a service appointment, my GTS has 7,500 kms.
Old 07-09-2017, 10:20 AM
Indeep
1st Gear

Hi folks. I have the 2016 targa 4 s in New Delhi and have the same issue..... anyone know what the TSB number is making it easier for my dealer to find it and sort the issue ?? Thanks
Old 02-22-2021, 11:08 AM
RedGTS
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had issue of low coolant then no coolant and guage spiked to 250 on my 991.1 turbo S after jump starting the car yesterday. I check floater and it was toward the min side, so I got the car on battery tender today and will add some distilled water and see that happens. I just had the car served at porsche and new battery last month, I didnt have the car on tender and it was deader than door nail after a week... Got all sorts of other errors and issues after jump starting yesterday which I assume was bi product of low voltage. It has been cold in GA lately, wondering if I have a tank leak too, back to the dealer on a tow truck she goes, about ready to sell this car, not worth the headaches compared to other super cars/exotics I have owned on the past.
Old 02-06-2022, 01:02 PM
Par4Ace
Intermediate

What did it cost to replace the expansion tank and sensor roughly? I’m experiencing the same issue on my 14’ Carrera S lately. Temp shoots up to 261 then a few minutes later back to normal.

Quick Reply: Weird Coolant issue 991.2