Sponsored by:

Weird Coolant issue 991.2

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 02:15 PM
Mohammad Shabib
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 991.2 C4S Refill Coolant Immediately Stop Driving

Same problem here on my 991.2 C4S Temp above 120C and warning message Refill Coolant Immediately Stop Driving. Coolant level is fine it happened for the fourth time I gave in the car to the dealer and might get a refund if the problem doesn't get solved.
Old 07-10-2016, 02:28 PM
boatracer
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

My 991.2 C4S had the coolant issue and it's a sensor issue. Porsche replaced the coolant tank and all is fine. Car is good as new.
Old 07-10-2016, 04:10 PM
vivekg
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by boatracer
My 991.2 C4S had the coolant issue and it's a sensor issue. Porsche replaced the coolant tank and all is fine. Car is good as new.
In my case they think it had a bubble and they followed the bleed procedure and I haven't seen a problem. The first time was a real leak. I'm hoping the case is that it was the bubble, if it happens again I will ask them to check the sensor more thoroughly as it happened after a hard stop.

Vivek
Old 07-10-2016, 05:32 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,267 Likes on 1,042 Posts

+1 on the bubble. Mine occurred at 2000 miles and freaked me out. (981 BS).

Dealer said that the "fast fill" procedure for the coolant at the factory sometimes leaves a bubble in the system. They bleed it and added more coolant. Problems solved and 25k miles later, no issue.

I'm not sure why it takes so many miles to reveal itself though.

Mark
Old 07-10-2016, 06:51 PM
KeysToHappiness
Track Day

Originally Posted by vivekg
Hi,

I have about 1200 miles on my 991.2 C4S and had a strange issue last night and this morning. Started the car up last night and drove a short distance and got a low coolant warning. Temps all looked fine, drove a few more minutes and then suddenly I got a red light to pull over and replace coolant immediately and the needle had suddenly shot up to 250°F (pegged the needle). I pulled out at a gas station to go see what coolant they may have, didn't have any that matched what was recommended (what should you do in this case, what are alternatives?).

Got back to the car and checked the coolant and it was fine. Started the car up and the warnings were gone, drove the remaining 10 minutes home and no issues or warning.

This morning had almost a repeat, but this time as it pegged to 250 I was about to pull out after I found a spot (was driving to the dealer), then it just suddenly all reset and no issues and the temperature was showing 194°F again as usual. No issues and all alerts gone and no problems driving for the next 45 minutes.

Anyone seen something like this before? Taking it to the dealer on Monday morning to have the sensor checked out, seems like something is faulty and just giving bad codes.

Thanks,
Vivek
Vivek,

I have had this one!! Exactly the same.... So I won't repeat your story above, but I can tell you what mine was from. Definitely low coolant (was checked as per pre-delivery).... and only two weeks old. Checked level and indeed low, called dealer, checked the next day and when the dealer tested the system (pressure and sensor) they found residue of a leak. When the removed the sensor in the coolant reservoir they found a 'hair line' crack which under pressure 'spirited drive' it had caused the leak. NOTE I did not have any signs of smell, leaks on the floor, or any other noticeable marks. I'm fastidious with my cars. The dealer had never seen it before but ordered a new coolant reservoir and I have had NO issues since its replacement. They also sent the old reservoir back to Germany as this is the first time occurring in Australia.

Let me know how you go.

JJ

Last edited by KeysToHappiness; 07-10-2016 at 08:24 PM.
Old 07-10-2016, 09:00 PM
john45in
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

On a related issue, when should the coolant be replaced? There's no maintenance information on replacement that I could find and nothing lasts forever.
Old 07-10-2016, 11:35 PM
bmedude
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 37 Posts

dam you guys got me worried. my c4s is going to get delivered to me in another week or two.
Old 07-10-2016, 11:37 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 332 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by bmedude
dam you guys got me worried. my c4s is going to get delivered to me in another week or two.
Sounds like these new babies need to be burped.
Old 07-11-2016, 12:13 AM
KeysToHappiness
Track Day

Originally Posted by bmedude
Just drive it when you get it . Warranty for a reason and I haven't had any issues since (daily driver)
Old 07-14-2016, 04:21 PM
Jeffdehr
Rennlist Member

Got the coolant red warning STOP driving immediately today. Temperature gauge shot up to 250 immediately. I was driving my 991.2 C4S, has about 1600 miles, for about 5 minutes on a highway. When warning came on I pull over to the shoulder. As soon as the car came to a stop (I didn't have to shut off the engine) the warning light went off and the temperature gauge went back down to 200. I waited a minute and then drove off. I drove for another 25 miles without a problem.

Rennlist is great, I was aware of this potential issue and didn't have a panic attack.

Called the dealer, taking the car in Saturday.
Old 07-14-2016, 04:27 PM
vivekg
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jeffdehr
Got the coolant red warning STOP driving immediately today. Temperature gauge shot up to 250 immediately. I was driving my 991.2 C4S, has about 1600 miles, for about 5 minutes on a highway. When warning came on I pull over to the shoulder. As soon as the car came to a stop (I didn't have to shut off the engine) the warning light went off and the temperature gauge went back down to 200. I waited a minute and then drove off. I drove for another 25 miles without a problem.

Rennlist is great, I was aware of this potential issue and didn't have a panic attack.

Jeffdehr,

Glad this worked out for you! My first instance of having this definitely turned out to be a leak so do check to see if your coolant level is okay, if not top up with distilled water. The reason the light went away was it built up enough volume as things warmed up, so that it functioned. The second time this happened was a bubble after they had done the fill that caused the sensor to think there was no coolant, they bled it off and filled and since then there has been no problem.

I've had no more problems and I'm over 4300 (s)miles now.

Good luck!

Vivek
Old 07-14-2016, 04:30 PM
KeysToHappiness
Track Day

Smile

Good work Jeff,

If you do check the coolant level, do it cold as they system is so large (something like 12lts) the difference between min and max on the float coolant indicator is not much. Having said that when I check mine the next day after the warning ie in the morning, the bulb was leaning against min and I couldn't even see coolant. Dealer was fantastic.

I haven't had any issues since they fixed it
Old 07-14-2016, 08:27 PM
Jeffdehr
Rennlist Member

Coolant was low. Added 500ml of distilled water which brought the red needle to the middle between min and max. Still taking it to the dealer for them to check things out.
Old 07-18-2016, 07:53 PM
Jeffdehr
Rennlist Member

Got the car back from dealer today. They "reflashed DME" as part of WG30 Campaign. I was told it was a software issue that caused the red warning.

I drove about 15 minutes from dealer. Guess what? Same red warning came on. I pulled over and shut car off. Turned it back on warning went away.

Called the dealer, of course the service department was now closed. Stay tuned. I guess I'm going back to the dealer for another look
Old 07-18-2016, 08:56 PM
vivekg
Instructor

Got the car back from dealer today. They "reflashed DME" as part of WG30 Campaign. I was told it was a software issue that caused the red warning.

I drove about 15 minutes from dealer. Guess what? Same red warning came on. I pulled over and shut car off. Turned it back on warning went away.

Called the dealer, of course the service department was now closed. Stay tuned. I guess I'm going back to the dealer for another look
Sorry to hear that. I have seen it one more time (and no low coolant), so I do think there is something funky about the sensor. What is this campaign? I couldn't find anything about it. Good luck finding the problem. I'll let you know if I hear anything.

Vivek

Quick Reply: Weird Coolant issue 991.2