Sponsored by:

UK Review: 991.2 vs 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 12:08 AM
Johnny5Alive
Burning Brakes

Received 299 Likes on 127 Posts
Default UK Review: 991.2 vs 991.1

Here's another, but comparing the cars back to back. The verdict is the new car is the better car, but the old car will be missed.

So I’ll leave it this way. The new turbocharged 991 is the better car and, should you require such a thing, the easy winner of this test. For 90% of not just drivers but 911 drivers, it is superior at least 90% of the time.

As for the engine, Porsche should be congratulated for doing so well a job that, I suspect, it didn’t much want to do in the first place. Just remember this: when you extract your 911 from its day-to-day drudgery and take it somewhere and let it go, it is old normally aspirated car that has the freer spirit, the more infectious enthusiasm. It is, in short, more like a 911. Or how a 911 used to be. However good this new car is, and it is very good indeed, it can do nothing to take that essential fact away.
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/new-porsche-911-versus-old-which-better
Old 05-05-2016, 12:15 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

So the .2 is a better everyday driver/commuter, but the .1 is the better car for letting it rip like a sports car on the weekends. That I can believe.
Old 05-05-2016, 01:46 AM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,159 Likes on 562 Posts

In summary - it just depends on what you are looking for in your car. Driving my NA 991 GTS to and from work makes even the drudgery of an LA commute an exhilarating driving experience.
Old 05-05-2016, 02:15 AM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

I thought that was actually a pretty good review.
Old 05-05-2016, 02:18 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts

I think it is funny to see the similar pattern in these car reviews of hedging their bets and mincing words. They don't just come out and say the old car is more fun. Its like they have to say a few good things about both and leave it up in the air which wins the comparo. I think they want to make sure they all get invited back to Porsche's next new car release party
Jim
Old 05-05-2016, 02:34 AM
r00t61
Pro

Received 244 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by 96redLT4
I think it is funny to see the similar pattern in these car reviews of hedging their bets and mincing words. They don't just come out and say the old car is more fun. Its like they have to say a few good things about both and leave it up in the air which wins the comparo. I think they want to make sure they all get invited back to Porsche's next new car release party
Jim
This is what Dan Neil (Pulitzer prize winning autojourno) had to say about the business:

"The entire environment is incestuous. They introduce new cars. They fly journalists in and put them up at really nice hotels and, you know, treat them to experiences that they would never possibly in a million years — they wouldn't even be allowed in these hotels ordinarily. You know, and that's not supposed to affect their judgment. But it is a compromised business, and it is also true that newspapers are under a great deal of revenue pressure on this score, and so yeah, a favorable editorial/advertorial content is often created to satisfy that need."
Old 05-05-2016, 07:02 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,142 Likes on 982 Posts

Originally Posted by 96redLT4
Jim
This is exactly why the only people I trust for reviews comparing the 991.1. vs 991.2 review are fellow rennlist owners who own multiple Porsches. Everybody else's opinion is just entertainment.
Old 05-05-2016, 09:00 AM
mb1
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
This is exactly why the only people I trust for reviews comparing the 991.1. vs 991.2 review are fellow rennlist owners who own multiple Porsches. Everybody else's opinion is just entertainment.
And you find reviews of individuals that may have spent 100K+ on a 991.1 unbiased?
Old 05-05-2016, 09:02 AM
oalvarez
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Good review and good to see that they liked the new 991.2.
Old 05-05-2016, 09:15 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,142 Likes on 982 Posts

Originally Posted by mb1
And you find reviews of individuals that may have spent 100K+ on a 991.1 unbiased?

Obviously we are all biased to some extent but recall I referenced opinions from owners who have owned multiple Porsches. The auto rags are clearly biased. Their livelihood is based on their relationship with car companies and their ability to attract readers.

This article was replete with flowery language and blah blah sentences. I was bored reading it.

I guess the least biased review would come from someone who has owned both the 991.1 and 991.2. There are some on rennlist that have and already posted their views. These are the folks we need to listen to.

Articles like this has entertainment value only and is good to pass the time away,....
Old 05-05-2016, 10:16 AM
porsche42
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
Obviously we are all biased to some extent but recall I referenced opinions from owners who have owned multiple Porsches. The auto rags are clearly biased. Their livelihood is based on their relationship with car companies and their ability to attract readers.

This article was replete with flowery language and blah blah sentences. I was bored reading it.

I guess the least biased review would come from someone who has owned both the 991.1 and 991.2. There are some on rennlist that have and already posted their views. These are the folks we need to listen to.

Articles like this has entertainment value only and is good to pass the time away,....
+1 Yup.
Old 05-05-2016, 10:25 AM
budrichard
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by r00t61
This is what Dan Neil (Pulitzer prize winning autojourno) had to say about the business:

"The entire environment is incestuous. They introduce new cars. They fly journalists in and put them up at really nice hotels and, you know, treat them to experiences that they would never possibly in a million years — they wouldn't even be allowed in these hotels ordinarily. You know, and that's not supposed to affect their judgment. But it is a compromised business, and it is also true that newspapers are under a great deal of revenue pressure on this score, and so yeah, a favorable editorial/advertorial content is often created to satisfy that need."
+1!
-Richard

BTW, if you go to the Volvo Forums where I own and have commented on all three generations of XC70's, while not quite $100K cars, I thik you will find, I'm not that very biased.
I switched to Porsche AWD because of my experience with the design, Engineering and Quality of my 981B. Our next wagon will probably be a Panamera.
As to which 911 is better, for me it is not a question, the features of the present 991.2 are superior to any previous generation and i just don't get caught up in Angst of 'Purists' and others.
I only have 1500 miles on my C4S, so far, no problems in quality but I have long wy to go and about 8 Track Days this summer before I make any definitive comments.
Old 05-05-2016, 10:32 AM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Sounds like the delegates Cruz was after. Would negative reviews offer a return trip to paradise?
Old 05-05-2016, 10:51 AM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I generally trust Rennlist reviews no more than the journalists. As a general rule rennlisters praise their own cars and dis the others. 997 owners dis 991's. 996 owners dis 993's and visa versa. Etc. Ad nauseum. Give me a break. I'm keeping my 911/50 because I "think" it's slightly special otherwise I'd be shopping a new 991.2 even though I'm not a turbo fan. I have had 4 new 911's of various generations sine 1988. There is NO doubt that each generation is an improvement. You may like older styles better and issues like the IMS in 996 and early 997 are problematic but the newer cars are just plain better in power/handling and just plain performance. I remember picking up my new 1988 Carrera. I thought it was just plain awesome and it was in its day. My 964 was just leagues better. And my 991 just shames both as well as my previous 997.2. Porsche is correct,unless you have something with limited production just get the new one and have a better all around vehicle.
Old 05-05-2016, 12:11 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

The only review I really trust about any car is my own. I've loved cars others have hated, and vice versa.

As far as us RLers go, we all have biases and vastly differing experiences, preferences, skills, so it's impossible to gauge the person providing the feedback. I don't put much stake in it, particularly given how often you get diametrically opposing views from two RLers who drove the same car.

And the simple truth is, people look for vastly different things out of their cars, hence what they place more value on clouds their view relative to what you're looking to glean from their review. And when it comes to Porsche and how configurable they are, it makes it even harder to make use of a RLer's feedback.

For me there are only two issues with the .2, one of which I can gauge without driving the car - it's looks. I simply couldn't own one as I'm very particular, OCD even, about a car meeting my eye just right. The .2 doesn't do that, so I could never own one. The other is the throttle response, which I'm very curious to experience for myself. Unfortunately my dealer doesn't have enough cars to have a demo available yet.

Quick Reply: UK Review: 991.2 vs 991.1