991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

UK Review: 991.2 vs 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2016 | 12:41 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Well said. I also don't like the new rear with lights,grill and exhaust but that is a very personal thing. I look forward to your review.
Old 05-05-2016 | 12:52 PM
Johnny5Alive
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by subshooter
This is exactly why the only people I trust for reviews comparing the 991.1. vs 991.2 review are fellow rennlist owners who own multiple Porsches. Everybody else's opinion is just entertainment.
Well, of its of any value, I bought my 991.1 a month ago. I test drove it and the 991.2 back to back to back. They were roughly the same specs and the 991.2 was about 5k more.

I chose the 991.1 over the 991.2 because of how much I enjoyed the sound, and the characteristics of building revs from 5k to 7.5k.

I was perhaps biased against the 991.2 because I was trading in the CLA45 AMG and was sick of turbo sounds, lag, and the abruptness off power delivery.

I have other NA cars and ride motorcycles on track so I tend to prefer revs and smooth delivery over torque. Perhaps I'm hyper sensitive to it but I totally felt the slight lag in the new car. In the AMG the turbo was a novelty at first and then became cumbersome when trying to drive smooth on track or similar mountain roads on the weekend. Not all bad, but not as smooth as my NA cars. I did think the 991.2 was the better car, but just not for my tastes. Then again, I'm the guy that wanted to buy a S2000CR instead of the CLA45 but chose the latter based on wife's taste.

Last edited by Johnny5Alive; 05-05-2016 at 01:11 PM.
Old 05-05-2016 | 03:02 PM
petee1997
Burning Brakes

Obviously we are all biased to some extent but recall I referenced opinions from owners who have owned multiple Porsches. The auto rags are clearly biased. Their livelihood is based on their relationship with car companies and their ability to attract readers.

This article was replete with flowery language and blah blah sentences. I was bored reading it.

I guess the least biased review would come from someone who has owned both the 991.1 and 991.2. There are some on rennlist that have and already posted their views. These are the folks we need to listen to.

Articles like this has entertainment value only and is good to pass the time away,....
I have had the 997.1 , .2, 991.1 and now .2./ Take my word for it, this is the best to date.
Old 05-07-2016 | 05:32 AM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Archimedes
The only review I really trust about any car is my own. I've loved cars others have hated, and vice versa. As far as us RLers go, we all have biases and vastly differing experiences, preferences, skills, so it's impossible to gauge the person providing the feedback. I don't put much stake in it, particularly given how often you get diametrically opposing views from two RLers who drove the same car. And the simple truth is, people look for vastly different things out of their cars, hence what they place more value on clouds their view relative to what you're looking to glean from their review. And when it comes to Porsche and how configurable they are, it makes it even harder to make use of a RLer's feedback. For me there are only two issues with the .2, one of which I can gauge without driving the car - it's looks. I simply couldn't own one as I'm very particular, OCD even, about a car meeting my eye just right. The .2 doesn't do that, so I could never own one. The other is the throttle response, which I'm very curious to experience for myself. Unfortunately my dealer doesn't have enough cars to have a demo available yet.
Archimedes, I respect your opinion on the styling cues. I've owned a 997.1 C2S Cab, 991.1 MT C2S and have had my new 991.2 PDK C4S for about 1 week, I can tell you unequivocally the .2 has zero turbo lag. I know some thoughtfull Rennlisters have taken the car on extended test drives and commented that it's there, but if it is there, I can't find it. It could be because I'm in a PDK and this thing shifts so fast, at such optimal points, that if it is there (and technically I appreciate that it has to be), I can't find it.

I'm know I'm still in the honeymoon stage, but this car is so sick. The steering, the drive (I have SPASM) the weight transfer even with it being a 4. The car is insanely fast.

Now the negative - PSE, which I have now and had on my old car. Yes it's lacking, until you're on it, when you're on it, it's great. The same as a .1, no? Does it suck when it's singing? No. The difference is you can drive around in the .1 PSE below 4K and the car is still loud and emotional, the .2 from a sound standpoint is just waking up at 4K. Obviously, I'm still in break-in and trying not to go over it. I really, really encourage you to take one for a drive to be able to answer these questions for yourself, I think you'll be surprised with how good the new one is.

That being said, empirically, other than having the latest, greatest (appreciate that part is subjective) thing, there's no compelling reason to take a massive hit on your .1 (unless you were prudent and followed STG's advice ) to get a .2. However, if having the faster car with a lot of improvements thrown in: i.e. better steering, handling, PDK shifting times, speed, PSM Sport with drifting, a modern PCM interface that finally brings the car into the 21st Century and speed are important to you, than this is the car for you.

Last edited by BlackBeauty; 05-07-2016 at 07:15 AM.
Old 05-07-2016 | 10:37 AM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by BlackBeauty
Archimedes, I respect your opinion on the styling cues. I've owned a 997.1 C2S Cab, 991.1 MT C2S and have had my new 991.2 PDK C4S for about 1 week, I can tell you unequivocally the .2 has zero turbo lag. I know some thoughtfull Rennlisters have taken the car on extended test drives and commented that it's there, but if it is there, I can't find it. It could be because I'm in a PDK and this thing shifts so fast, at such optimal points, that if it is there (and technically I appreciate that it has to be), I can't find it.

I'm know I'm still in the honeymoon stage, but this car is so sick. The steering, the drive (I have SPASM) the weight transfer even with it being a 4. The car is insanely fast.

Now the negative - PSE, which I have now and had on my old car. Yes it's lacking, until you're on it, when you're on it, it's great. The same as a .1, no? Does it suck when it's singing? No. The difference is you can drive around in the .1 PSE below 4K and the car is still loud and emotional, the .2 from a sound standpoint is just waking up at 4K. Obviously, I'm still in break-in and trying not to go over it. I really, really encourage you to take one for a drive to be able to answer these questions for yourself, I think you'll be surprised with how good the new one is.

That being said, empirically, other than having the latest, greatest (appreciate that part is subjective) thing, there's no compelling reason to take a massive hit on your .1 (unless you were prudent and followed STG's advice ) to get a .2. However, if having the faster car with a lot of improvements thrown in: i.e. better steering, handling, PDK shifting times, speed, PSM Sport with drifting, a modern PCM interface that finally brings the car into the 21st Century and speed are important to you, than this is the car for you.

Very balanced review. Thanks.
Old 05-07-2016 | 12:42 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by BlackBeauty

I'm interested in driving the new car just out of curiosity, solely because I want to know what the throttle response is like from my perspective. I have three Porsches that will take me to my grave and don't intend on ever buying another car in this life unless one of mine is wrecked or stolen. But I'm still a little curious.
Old 05-07-2016 | 01:01 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

I'm interested in driving the new car just out of curiosity, solely because I want to know what the throttle response is like from my perspective. I have three Porsches that will take me to my grave and don't intend on ever buying another car in this life unless one of mine is wrecked or stolen. But I'm still a little curious.
That's cool, and you have some great cars in your stable. Just don't be a spoiler for those of us who still have 4 - 6 more Porsches to buy in this lifetime.
Old 05-07-2016 | 02:17 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

That's cool, and you have some great cars in your stable. Just don't be a spoiler for those of us who still have 4 - 6 more Porsches to buy in this lifetime.
Come on man, a spoiler? If anyone drives the car you like and absolutely hates it and says so, that shouldn't spoil it for you, you should drive the car you like because you like it, not because of what anyone else thinks.

I personally can't stand white cars, but if someone out there bought white because it was their favorite, and is not enjoying it because they know I think it's ugly, it's because they have serious problems, not because I'm a "spoiler".
Old 05-07-2016 | 02:49 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

I'm not being a spoiler at all and I've said multiple times that I expect the new car is a better car overall. I'm simply curious what I will think of the throttle response.

I fully trusted Porsche would make this a better performing car than the last. The styling issues I have with the car are just personal tastes; nothing more.
Old 05-07-2016 | 02:59 PM
Johnny5Alive
Burning Brakes

As I mentioned i test drove both before buying my 991.1 last month.

Anyone that says there's no lag either is driving the base model with smaller turbo or doesn't know what to look for. I traded from a highly strung out turbo 4 CLA45 AMG and the lag in that car was definitely far far worse. Because I hated it so much I was looking for the lag on this car. A lot like an imperfection that one would dwell on to the point of it getting overblown-- like a small scratch or ding in an otherwise perfect car.

For me I knew I would always look for and emphasize the lag (it does exist, at least on the 4S I drove) in my mind, and thus I went with 991.1

On a side note, catch yourself in the wrong gear in either car, and there will be a lack of power either from a lack of boost or lack of revs. Pick your poison.

The power delivery seemed to me a bit smoother in the 991.1 as the revs build, where as the 991.2 had a lot More torque and down low muscle with boost kicking in at a lower rpm than full power does on the 991.1. The new car is definitely better for day to day driving for most people. I'm just one of those people that enjoys revving the snot out of my cars.

I think the PDK on the new car is a must as it has been specifically tuned to keep the car in boost.
Old 05-07-2016 | 04:51 PM
disden
Drifting

I was picking up a 2015 4s last week. it was on the showroom floor and a new 991.2 with sport exhaust needed to be moved-- as a result I got to hear both fired up inside. Sure the 991.2 sounds good, but it was no comparison to the sounds made by the NA 6 of the 991.1. I didn't drive the 991.2, but by all accounts it seems like a killer car.

To get power out of the 991.1 it needs to be revved, so you kinda look like a dick driving around town revving the thing. That low down torque from the 991.2 would certainly be welcomed! No bad choices! I chose to save a boatload of cash on a leftover 2015; otherwise the enhancements exteriorly and the new infotainment looked sweet in person.
Old 05-07-2016 | 09:21 PM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

I think you'll be very surprised and impressed. Porsche is still an engineering powerhouse.
Old 05-07-2016 | 09:24 PM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Johnny5Alive
As I mentioned i test drove both before buying my 991.1 last month. Anyone that says there's no lag either is driving the base model with smaller turbo or doesn't know what to look for. I traded from a highly strung out turbo 4 CLA45 AMG and the lag in that car was definitely far far worse. Because I hated it so much I was looking for the lag on this car. A lot like an imperfection that one would dwell on to the point of it getting overblown-- like a small scratch or ding in an otherwise perfect car. For me I knew I would always look for and emphasize the lag (it does exist, at least on the 4S I drove) in my mind, and thus I went with 991.1 On a side note, catch yourself in the wrong gear in either car, and there will be a lack of power either from a lack of boost or lack of revs. Pick your poison. The power delivery seemed to me a bit smoother in the 991.1 as the revs build, where as the 991.2 had a lot More torque and down low muscle with boost kicking in at a lower rpm than full power does on the 991.1. The new car is definitely better for day to day driving for most people. I'm just one of those people that enjoys revving the snot out of my cars. I think the PDK on the new car is a must as it has been specifically tuned to keep the car in boost.

Johnny did you drive a manual or PDK on your test drive? In addition to the P cars I listed I had a C63 (6.2l) with a development package, I just don't see any lag. I appreciate you emphatically did, which is why I'm asking which transmission you test drove?
Old 05-07-2016 | 09:37 PM
hawc
Racer

The .2 makes power where we actually drive (below 4,500 RPM.) The .1 makes power where we barely ever drive (above 4,500 RPM.) Tell me the last time you regularly drove over 4,500RPM on the road. Maybe a few seconds per month on an onramp? It's a waste that all the power is up there. The .2 puts the power where you'll ACTUALLY USE IT ALL THE TIME. Can't argue with that.
Old 05-07-2016 | 10:49 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by hawc
The .2 makes power where we actually drive (below 4,500 RPM.) The .1 makes power where we barely ever drive (above 4,500 RPM.) Tell me the last time you regularly drove over 4,500RPM on the road. Maybe a few seconds per month on an onramp? It's a waste that all the power is up there. The .2 puts the power where you'll ACTUALLY USE IT ALL THE TIME. Can't argue with that.
Again, this is just a wild exaggeration. My C2S pulls hard from 2500, more than I could ever use in a street situation. I can keep my Carrera flying through traffic without ever breaking 4500 rpm. This idea that the .1S is a Civic around town is a joke. Please stop spreading nonsense.

Quick Reply: UK Review: 991.2 vs 991.1