Sponsored by:

478HP and 570ft-lb Porsche 991.2 Carrera S by MCCHIP-DKR

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 07:55 PM
-Ryan-
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Cristophosphorus
Agreed. A friend of mine was part of the 335 craze. His 335is was tuned to **** and pulled a ton of power on E85, but he had CELs every other week and eventually had to have the turbo and his fuel pump replaced.

Not worth it, but we'll surely be seeing them on the streets.
I had a 335I with a procede piggyback. It added about 70 hp and 100 torque with no problems. But that's all i modified.

The Fuel pump was a major problem with those cars, even the stock ones.
Old 05-05-2016, 08:28 PM
bernpep
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by -Ryan-
I had a 335I with a procede piggyback. It added about 70 hp and 100 torque with no problems. But that's all i modified.

The Fuel pump was a major problem with those cars, even the stock ones.
Yep, damn bad fuel pumps ! Had 3 of them crap out on my 335 with only Dinan tune. Got rid of that car because of fp bull****!
Old 05-05-2016, 10:19 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Put it on the track for twenty minutes. See what happens.
Old 05-06-2016, 01:40 PM
The New 911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So is this shop pretty much the only competition in town for 991.2 chip upgrades and hardware? I was figuring the Flaps is just the loud button like on the GT3s or am I just miles apart in this situation?

Also if the tuners are upping the dosage unit (boost) that they might want to start going with stronger head bolts. I don't know what the new engine is capable of, and if anyone has experience with them or not or `em I just a little paranoid. One would think that aftet the GT3 stop sale that Porsche would go on the side of using stronger bolts since they are building cars with turbos... The first thing the tuners and shops would do is increase forced i duction.
Old 05-06-2016, 02:26 PM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The 991.2 engine isn't new. It's the 9A1 with turbos. Check PeteVb's technical analysis on the engines. The 9A1 internals were highly over engineered to handle the turbo power that was to come. Most of the internals are the same. Porsche won't develop engines for every model refresh or make new engines. The 9A1 is very highly modular and was designed to miminmize cost for all 911 and 718 / Boxter / Cayman platforms. Pete's analysis is excellent. He's an engineer with huge amounts of knowledge in engines and racing dyinamics.
Old 05-06-2016, 02:34 PM
-Ryan-
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by The New 911
So is this shop pretty much the only competition in town for 991.2 chip upgrades and hardware?
I would guess this one of many to come. I think Techart already has a tune out as well.
Old 05-06-2016, 02:45 PM
KenTO
Burning Brakes

Received 559 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by 997s07
The 991.2 engine isn't new. It's the 9A1 with turbos. Check PeteVb's technical analysis on the engines. The 9A1 internals were highly over engineered to handle the turbo power that was to come. Most of the internals are the same. Porsche won't develop engines for every model refresh or make new engines. The 9A1 is very highly modular and was designed to miminmize cost for all 911 and 718 / Boxter / Cayman platforms. Pete's analysis is excellent. He's an engineer with huge amounts of knowledge in engines and racing dyinamics.
Excellent analysis, can be found here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8932...-analysis.html
Old 05-06-2016, 03:09 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,873 Likes on 1,903 Posts

The 991.2 engine isn't new. It's the 9A1 with turbos. Check PeteVb's technical analysis on the engines.
This is nonsense and if you read the article/interview in Panorama from a few months back with the Porsche engineer you'd realize this. Yes it's a flat six that generally looks similar, but it is a totally new engine, sharing almost zero parts from the 9A1. Yes, having learned a lot building these engines over decades, I trust Porsche got it right, but stating it's just the 9A1 with turbos slapped on is totally wrong. It's a similar design, but a totally new motor.
Old 05-06-2016, 03:42 PM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Archimedes
This is nonsense and if you read the article/interview in Panorama from a few months back with the Porsche engineer you'd realize this. Yes it's a flat six that generally looks similar, but it is a totally new engine, sharing almost zero parts from the 9A1. Yes, having learned a lot building these engines over decades, I trust Porsche got it right, but stating it's just the 9A1 with turbos slapped on is totally wrong. It's a similar design, but a totally new motor.
What's nonsense is your reply to my post and your continued denial of facts regarding the 9A1 and 9A2 engine. You like drinking media KoolAid? Fine. It's nothing new at all. In Pete's first post in the thread he says "The 9A2 is clearly a close derivative of the modular 9A1 family that powers the current 981s and 991s. Visually it appears to share most components and castings, with the turbo plumbing bolted on after the fact…"

You can trust your journalists and I can trust Petevb who I know from the GT forums, and who has done huge services for the tracking community here.
Old 05-06-2016, 04:23 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,873 Likes on 1,903 Posts

What's nonsense is your reply to my post and your continued denial of facts regarding the 9A1 and 9A2 engine. You like drinking media KoolAid? Fine. It's nothing new at all. In Pete's first post in the thread he says "The 9A2 is clearly a close derivative of the modular 9A1 family that powers the current 981s and 991s. Visually it appears to share most components and castings, with the turbo plumbing bolted on after the fact…"

You can trust your journalists and I can trust Petevb who I know from the GT forums, and who has done huge services for the tracking community here.
Except it doesn't. Visually they look the same and they're generally a similar design, but in reality they are not the same motor at all. You're reading way to much into one sentence of Pete's comments.

I'm not referencing a journalist. I'm referencing Porsche's head of development for the boxer engines, Thomas Bradl, who states "The 9A2 engines are virtually completely new." And then goes on to explain how basically every component in the motor is new, not just in design but also in manufacture. The 9A1 and 9A2 motors are entirely different engines, regardless of how similar their designs might be.
Old 05-06-2016, 05:10 PM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Except it doesn't. Visually they look the same and they're generally a similar design, but in reality they are not the same motor at all. You're reading way to much into one sentence of Pete's comments.

I'm not referencing a journalist. I'm referencing Porsche's head of development for the boxer engines, Thomas Bradl, who states "The 9A2 engines are virtually completely new." And then goes on to explain how basically every component in the motor is new, not just in design but also in manufacture. The 9A1 and 9A2 motors are entirely different engines, regardless of how similar their designs might be.
Another quote from Pete: "This doesn't change the fact that the engine has objectively taken a step backwards in a number of areas. I'm somewhat surprised that Porsche didn't design a truly new engine for the turbo era, because we know that technically the game has moved on in the last 10 years, and they can do better."

Don't believe everything you read from Porsche.
Old 05-06-2016, 08:42 PM
oalvarez
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbo1111
... Car is fast enough as is. No need to push the envelope.
i don't disagree, but it brings up another interesting point. while i don't think i'd ever "chip" a 991.2 (impressive numbers i might add), one might say that the 991.1 is fast enough....yes? no need to push the envelope? tell that to the guys who

-install plenums
-install fancy air filter contraptions
-install fancy air induction/intake systems
-install an even more open aftermarket exhaust kit

all in an attempt of wanting to produce more power and speed. is the 991.2 "fast enough as it is"? for some i'm sure, for others, maybe not so much.
Old 05-06-2016, 11:54 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by oalvarez
i don't disagree, but it brings up another interesting point. while i don't think i'd ever "chip" a 991.2 (impressive numbers i might add), one might say that the 991.1 is fast enough....yes? no need to push the envelope? tell that to the guys who

-install plenums
-install fancy air filter contraptions
-install fancy air induction/intake systems
-install an even more open aftermarket exhaust kit

all in an attempt of wanting to produce more power and speed. is the 991.2 "fast enough as it is"? for some i'm sure, for others, maybe not so much.
I have realized that cars in general really don't perform linear to there hp increase. So a 400 hp car isn't half as slow as a 800 hp car. There seems to be a plateau that when reached it takes that much more to overcome.

Resistance isn't overcome by just added hp and engineers have sort of reached a plateau in regards to passenger vehicle design. Today's cars are pretty well matched to the competition even with 200 +hp deficits. Hp is a bit overrated and breaking the laws of physics is going to require radical changes in design going foward.

Just don't want people to believe that a reflash of there ecu is going to drastically change the dynamics of there cars.
Old 05-07-2016, 12:00 AM
oalvarez
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

Just don't want people to believe that a reflash of there ecu is going to drastically change the dynamics of there cars.
are you saying that those with 991.1 and aftermarket mods will, but the others won't?
Old 05-07-2016, 03:35 AM
Cristophosphorus
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I have realized that cars in general really don't perform linear to there hp increase. So a 400 hp car isn't half as slow as a 800 hp car. There seems to be a plateau that when reached it takes that much more to overcome.

Resistance isn't overcome by just added hp and engineers have sort of reached a plateau in regards to passenger vehicle design. Today's cars are pretty well matched to the competition even with 200 +hp deficits. Hp is a bit overrated and breaking the laws of physics is going to require radical changes in design going foward.

I agree with your thoughts but that definitely isn't the norm. There are plenty of owners chasing that last ounce of HP out of their cars and will go to great lengths to get it.

It really depends on the person, their enthusiast level, their life, etc. I myself swore that I'd never drive a stock car for as long as I lived, and my old Mustang was heavily modified (tastefully, though ).

Now? I'm completely the opposite. I enjoy my GTS so much, and I force myself to keep it stock(ish). I swear that I went through a phase of depression when I purchased the AWE SwitchPath, as I was pretty pissed off at myself for modding her.

Quick Reply: 478HP and 570ft-lb Porsche 991.2 Carrera S by MCCHIP-DKR