Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GoPro Camera Placement

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 12:19 PM
AltVelo
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

From what I recall, if mounted inside the cabin, the exhaust notes is clear. I used the thinner rear door on the case. Camera was mounted on the inside of wind shield.

The perspective I prefer and more engaging to watch is where you capture both in cabin action and the road. For this shot, it's you can see driver's input, the road and hear the exhaust note. For this perspective, camera should be placed between the 2 front seats. Also to minimize distortion and have a more realistic view, I try not to use "wide" mode.

For cars with typical head rests(with the 2 metal bars) the mount is simple as you can clamp there. Since Porsche seat backs are one piece, I mounted the base behind the seat and with a goose neck, it extend to the center between the 2 seats. I didn't want to use the "sticky tape" mount from the gopro as it looks tough to clean off. Instead I plan to use the screw that holds the seat back coat hanger to mount by base.

With that said, and back to OP's question, I would place it in cabin between 2 front seats and one on outside to capture

The perspectives that were most engaging to me are cabin view(as noted above) and outside driver's side window(to see driver and road ahead).
Old 05-09-2016, 12:39 PM
AltVelo
Racer

I just tried the back of seat mount. Though a great location for the perspective as you get the driver action and road BUT it's not stable. The seat back shakes. This is without a passenger so perhaps with it maybe more stable?
Old 05-09-2016, 01:24 PM
DrCGuerra
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AltVelo
I just tried the back of seat mount. Though a great location for the perspective as you get the driver action and road BUT it's not stable. The seat back shakes. This is without a passenger so perhaps with it maybe more stable?
I tested that out yesterday and did not like the amount of shaking and picked up a bunch of noise including a rattle-like noise that I could not figure out what it was other than it was "rattling" in its own case, which I know it wasn't. I found that placing the GoPro at the uppermost portion of the rear view window using just the suction cup and inverting the picture worked the best. Very little noise other than picking up the engine and gave a better view of the cockpit and out the front window. I should be receiving my tow hook and GoPro bracket from Rennline today so that I can attach my second camera to the front bumper.
Old 05-09-2016, 06:09 PM
AltVelo
Racer

Originally Posted by DrCGuerra
I tested that out yesterday and did not like the amount of shaking and picked up a bunch of noise including a rattle-like noise that I could not figure out what it was other than it was "rattling" in its own case, which I know it wasn't. I found that placing the GoPro at the uppermost portion of the rear view window using just the suction cup and inverting the picture worked the best. Very little noise other than picking up the engine and gave a better view of the cockpit and out the front window. I should be receiving my tow hook and GoPro bracket from Rennline today so that I can attach my second camera to the front bumper.
I found this to be too far back and shooting mainly the back of the rear seats. I think I will try suction cup mount on rear window with an extension(goose neck).
Old 05-09-2016, 06:18 PM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 84 Posts

I found this to be too far back and shooting mainly the back of the rear seats. I think I will try suction cup mount on rear window with an extension(goose neck).
Don't bother. It vibrates more than a woman's toy!
Old 05-09-2016, 06:38 PM
DrCGuerra
Racer

Don't worry about using the gooseneck. Just use the suction cup at the uppermost portion of the rear window & use your iPhone to adjust what you are viewing. Works great & no risk if vibration from the gooseneck.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:14 PM
my991na
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I used both the rear window and sunroof..

Old 05-09-2016, 10:44 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Homeles
Go to rennline, buy their front tow hook with a gopro mount.
I mount using this method. If anyone is interested in the view, here is a short video from the Glen last July of my previous 911.
Old 05-09-2016, 11:28 PM
DrCGuerra
Racer

Great clip. Ordered mine but can't get it to work. Left message with Shawn at Rennline to see if they sent me the right part. What software did you use to capture the video & superimpose the track & speed? Loved that.
Old 05-09-2016, 11:30 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 240 Posts

Great clip. Ordered mine but can't get it to work. Left message with Shawn at Rennline to see if they sent me the right part. What software did you use to capture the video & superimpose the track & speed? Loved that.
I used an iPhone, Dual 150 remote GPS and Harry's Pro Latimer.
Old 05-09-2016, 11:39 PM
DrCGuerra
Racer

Originally Posted by 991carreradriver
I used an iPhone, Dual 150 remote GPS and Harry's Pro Latimer.
Great. I just need to learn how to use Harry's Pro Laptimer. I am using VBox Sport but the results should be the same using Harry's. Thanks.
Old 05-10-2016, 12:17 AM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Homeles
Go to rennline, buy their front tow hook with a gopro mount.
Awesome: great tip. Ordering now. Thx for asking OP
Old 05-10-2016, 09:12 AM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 88 Posts

Great. I just need to learn how to use Harry's Pro Laptimer. I am using VBox Sport but the results should be the same using Harry's. Thanks.
I use Track Addict along with Race Render, similar to Harry's but it allowed me to test it (free) with my GoPro before committing. I also use the OnPoint DME reader.

Take care getting all of this sorted out. The phone can only handle one wifi and one Bluetooth connection. I'm using the OnPoint to send vehicle data to the phone via Bluetooth, and the phone controls the GoPro via wifi. The phone itself becomes the control hub while also providing GPS data.

Quick Reply: GoPro Camera Placement