Sponsored by:

I Think I Found Her

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 03:51 PM
Canefan
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default I Think I Found Her

Greetings all. 1st post here. I'm a longtime M3 owner (multiple gens) about to realize my dream of owning a 911. After a long exhaustive national search, I think I have found one locally that ticks all of the boxes. My original plan was to buy a 2010ish C2S but have instead opted for a newer C2 base model to maximize warranty length and allow me to buy something newer. Here are the specs on the one I'm considering: 2014 C2 coupe with 21K miles, CPO, PSE, PDK, Sport Chrono, PDLS, Sunroof, 20in S Wheels, premium pkg, Bose, Mahogany Metallic/Beige. Spotless and Pristine - 1 previous owner (lease). The Mahogany is an unusual color for the 911 and the car is gorgeous. Factory + CPO warranty until early 2020. Should be able to get it for around $68K + taxes and fees. Original build was $106k.

My only hesitation is the relatively high miles. Is 21K too many miles for a 2014? For that price I can get an older lower miles car. Most of the 2014s I've seen have around 10k miles, but they command another 10k in price on average. This is honestly the cleanest newest car I've seen for under $70k with CPO. Especially considering how it's optioned. Thoughts?

Last edited by Canefan; 04-29-2016 at 05:09 PM.
Old 04-29-2016, 04:04 PM
pap2828
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sound like a nice car to me.....!
Old 04-29-2016, 04:09 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Originally Posted by Canefan
Is 21K too many miles for a 2014?
I have a 2014 with 28,000 miles. Only driven March-October. So, no, I don't think 21,000 is too many.
Old 04-29-2016, 04:20 PM
RichAA
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We might need pics to be sure
Old 04-29-2016, 04:33 PM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Assume you have been following along this thread - gives you a great perspective on current pricing:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8636...1-1-a-217.html
Old 04-29-2016, 04:48 PM
Canefan
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dalema
Assume you have been following along this thread - gives you a great perspective on current pricing:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8636...1-1-a-217.html
Yes I have. That's a great thread and I learned a lot. I'm comfortable that the price is decent, not great. I guess I'm just struggling with the question of newer with higher miles and warranty vs older with lower miles and less warranty. The answer is different for different cars and I'm not sure what's right with these bad boys. With BMW you always wanted to maximize warranty because they tended to have issues, so I always tried to go new as possible within my price range. These are so well built though, and warranty may not be as critical because of Porsche's great reliability.
Old 04-29-2016, 04:55 PM
Austin-Guy
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes I have. That's a great thread and I learned a lot. I'm comfortable that the price is decent, not great. I guess I'm just struggling with the question of newer with higher miles and warranty vs older with lower miles and less warranty. The answer is different for different cars and I'm not sure what's right with these bad boys. With BMW you always wanted to maximize warranty because they tended to have issues, so I always tried to go new as possible within my price range. These are so well built though, and warranty may not be as critical because of Porche's great reliability.
I just went through the same thing. Ended up with newer ('14 911S) and a longer warranty as I plan on driving mine and wanted the piece of mind of having it covered if something happend
Old 04-29-2016, 05:03 PM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I sold my 2013 991 C2 Coupe with 15K miles in 2015 for $68K. I looked into the price at that time and I considered it fair. You may be paying about right given the year.
Old 04-29-2016, 05:11 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,267 Likes on 1,042 Posts

21k is not high mileage. 150k might be....but hey...I like driving cars not looking at museum pieces.

I have 24k on my 2014 981 Boxster S and it's just a weekend toy. I will replace it when I get to about 200k miles. Maybe.

I think your car sounds great. Go for it.
Old 04-29-2016, 05:15 PM
Cristophosphorus
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Gorgeous color combination; mahogany and beige is a killer and timeless look.

The mileage isn't high and nothing to worry about. See if you can negotiate a bit more on the price. But, if you can't, you're still getting a good deal and I'd recommend going for it.

I skipped the M3 generation even though I was a huge M enthusiast growing up. Props to you... you're going to love the 911!
Old 04-29-2016, 05:16 PM
oalvarez
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

.....Here are the specs on the one I'm considering: 2014 C2 coupe with 21K miles, CPO, PSE, PDK, Sport Chrono, PDLS, Sunroof, 20in S Wheels, premium pkg, Bose, Mahogany Metallic/Beige. Spotless and Pristine - 1 previous owner (lease). The Mahogany is an unusual color for the 911 and the car is gorgeous. Factory + CPO warranty until early 2020. Should be able to get it for around $68K + taxes and fees. Original build was $106k.
or check out the Price is Right pricing thread.

$106k msrp........30% depreciation over 2yrs....add 5% for the miles......guess where that gets you?

$68,900.

i'd say nothing wrong with that.....adjust/subtract for how you feel about what the car has/doesn't have. i'd say the CPO is worth a bit.

good luck with the hunt,
Old 04-29-2016, 05:17 PM
JimHJr
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a nice car with a good color combo. I just bought my first 911 a few weeks ago and I love it. It's quite an experience!
Old 04-29-2016, 05:23 PM
Canefan
Advanced

Originally Posted by oalvarez
or check out the Price is Right pricing thread.

$106k msrp........30% depreciation over 2yrs....add 5% for the miles......guess where that gets you?

$68,900.

i'd say nothing wrong with that.....adjust/subtract for how you feel about what the car has/doesn't have. i'd say the CPO is worth a bit.

good luck with the hunt,
Thanks for all of the responses so far. I guess I should have worded my OP a little differently, as this wasn't really intended to be so much about the price. I think that the price is reasonable for the options, condition, and CPO. It's more about what I should place a higher premium on within my price range - newer with long warranty or low miles in a 2 or 3 year older car? Again, thanks for your input and I look forward to joining you guys.
Old 04-29-2016, 05:32 PM
oalvarez
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

Thanks for all of the responses so far. I guess I should have worded my OP a little differently, as this wasn't really intended to be so much about the price. I think that the price is reasonable for the options, condition, and CPO. It's more about what I should place a higher premium on within my price range - newer with long warranty or low miles in a 2 or 3 year older car? Again, thanks for your input and I look forward to joining you guys.
i'm with the others....if you're going to put on a lot of miles, i'd pay up for a lesser mile example WITH the longest warranty. the transmission in my 2013, 17k mi. Carrera S had to be replaced, it was a $11k job......i'm not saying that they will all experience the same, but I am saying that expensive repairs could arise, and as you spend more time on the forum, you'll realize that lower mile examples tend to be a bit more sought after than higher mileage examples. said another way, miles seem to matter when it comes time to sell the car. that's why Porsche Financial Service (and other car finance companies) assign higher residuals to cars that are driven, less.

i want to add, only you know what you can afford/want to afford, and i think that should help define how much car you can buy.
Old 04-29-2016, 06:46 PM
911seeker
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

The question is:

- OPTION 1 (less miles AND less term of guarantee)

OR

-OPTION 2 (more miles AND more remaining guarantee)

If he could have it all he would not be asking...

My opinion:

- if you plan to sell in the short term (i.e. with some guarantee remaining) I would buy one with low miles and put low miles in it and would sell at least 6 months before guarantee expiration. That might mean that you have a very short ownership period. But you would probably minimize your cost.

-if you plan to hold for a while, buy with more guarantee and don't look too much at the miles, use it as much as you can and forget about depreciation, the difference is not going to be too dramatic at the end when you sell.

Does it make sense?

Quick Reply: I Think I Found Her