Targa help/advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 03:26 PM
pap2828
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Targa help/advice

Hi Folks,

Have I read somewhere that the extra weight when the Targa roof is down makes the car too back heavy and therefore effects performance to a car that is already back heavy?

Thanks in advance....
Old 04-29-2016, 03:33 PM
petee1997
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The targa is the heaviest of the 911's. It's a convertible with a hardtop. That being said, when the roof is down, this should not add significant weight to the back end. Convertibles and Targas do not make good track cars.

If you are looking for a good driver's car with a lot of show, the targa is the best looking 911.

Last edited by petee1997; 04-29-2016 at 04:44 PM.
Old 04-29-2016, 03:40 PM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I did get the chance to track a 991 targa and my unprofessional opinion is that it felt wierd. I definitely noticed extra weights being tossed around under accel and decel.

So yes it felt back heavy, especially under hard acceleration.

But you aren't buying a targa for track days...
Old 04-29-2016, 03:50 PM
LCW
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think it is the actual roof that adds significant weight, it is the whole mechanism and glass that adds the weight. As stated above, if you are planning to go to the track often, it might be best to consider a coupe...
Old 04-29-2016, 04:01 PM
pap2828
Racer

Originally Posted by LCW
I don't think it is the actual roof that adds significant weight, it is the whole mechanism and glass that adds the weight. As stated above, if you are planning to go to the track often, it might be best to consider a coupe...
I most likely will not track it.

I have always loved the look of the targa but with the engine already in the back i have heard that the whole mechanism will be felt while cornering at higher speeds etc..??

Would love to hear from anyone who has driven or owned both cars and if they have noticed any differences...?
Old 04-29-2016, 04:15 PM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

I've test-driven a 991 Targa 4S. I didn't notice any problems with cornering - keep in mind that Targas only come in all wheel drive, which softens the effect of the rear weight distribution when cornering, because the car can apply power to the front wheels to counteract oversteer.

The Targa felt a little slow in straight line acceleration compared to a 2S Cabriolet. Not a lot, but some. It may have been my imagination, since I was predisposed to think the extra weight would have an effect.

Rear visibility is better than a Cabriolet with the top up. It doesn't compare to a cabriolet with the top down, though, where there's absolutely nothing behind you. The roof-off experience with the Targa isn't really that great, it's akin to a coupe with the sunroof open.

I think you really need to test drive one. You shouldn't make a significant purchasing decision based on internet hearsay.
Old 04-29-2016, 05:13 PM
DerekS
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 52 Posts

I concur with other comments. It does feel weird (which I attribute to the AWD.) It does feel a bit slower than my C2 997.2 did.

That being said, I haven't timed it. It's just butt-dyno comparisons.

The car is an absolute joy on a great day and with the top down! When you have to have the top up, turn up the radio as you're going to get a lot of creaks and squeaks from the top.
Old 04-29-2016, 06:24 PM
DerekS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gus_Smedstad
The roof-off experience with the Targa isn't really that great, it's akin to a coupe with the sunroof open.
That's subjective, but I will disagree there. I used to tan half my face with the sunroof, now my whole head tans. It's a big improvement.
Old 04-29-2016, 06:41 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,598 Likes on 2,341 Posts

Originally Posted by LCW
agreed the weight of the targa panel and its movement to the back of the
car is probably less than that of the Cabriolet

I agree its the weight of the glass etc back there...

if anyone has some corner scales we can test this hypothesis

Originally Posted by Gus_Smedstad
I've test-driven a 991 Targa 4S. I didn't notice any problems with cornering - keep in mind that Targas only come in all wheel drive, which softens the effect of the rear weight distribution when cornering, because the car can apply power to the front wheels to counteract oversteer.

The Targa felt a little slow in straight line acceleration compared to a 2S Cabriolet. Not a lot, but some. It may have been my imagination, since I was predisposed to think the extra weight would have an effect.

Rear visibility is better than a Cabriolet with the top up. It doesn't compare to a cabriolet with the top down, though, where there's absolutely nothing behind you
. The roof-off experience with the Targa isn't really that great, it's akin to a coupe with the sunroof open.

I think you really need to test drive one. You shouldn't make a significant purchasing decision based on internet hearsay.
+1

its definitely the heaviest of the variants, and as I recall it also has custom spring rates that differ from the coupe and cabriolet.
Old 04-29-2016, 09:25 PM
drgek
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by DerekS
When you have to have the top up, turn up the radio as you're going to get a lot of creaks and squeaks from the top.
Targa owners: Is this the general consensus?
Old 04-29-2016, 09:47 PM
DerekS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by drgek
I can tell you right now that it's not - almost everyone on here I've asked said theirs is dead quiet. One other poster said he sold his and the noises were part of the reason.

My car, I feel, has been worse than most for noise. You can review my post history for numerous issues and a video showing the squeak/creak that I can't get rid of.

This could be because it was a launch car in 2014, one of the first off the line.
It could also be high miles, mine has 26k where most are nowhere near that.

I just wish I could silence it! I wanted this car to feel like a coupe with the top up!
Old 04-29-2016, 09:57 PM
drgek
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by DerekS
I can tell you right now that it's not - almost everyone on here I've asked said theirs is dead quiet. One other poster said he sold his and the noises were part of the reason.

My car, I feel, has been worse than most for noise. You can review my post history for numerous issues and a video showing the squeak/creak that I can't get rid of.

This could be because it was a launch car in 2014, one of the first off the line.
It could also be high miles, mine has 26k where most are nowhere near that.

I just wish I could silence it! I wanted this car to feel like a coupe with the top up!
Thanks for the input. I saw your video a while ago; I don't blame you for your dissatisfaction. Perhaps a "coupe with the top up" is too much to expect, but the noises recorded on that video are pretty unacceptable.

The potential for roof creaks almost held me back from placing my order. I have owned numerous convertibles whose roofs ranged from intolerably noisy (Ferrari F355 Spider) to extremely tight with minimal creaking (Jaguar F-Type, Aston Martin Virage Volante.) Creaks tend to drive me nuts, but I like the looks of the Targa so much I decided to just pull the trigger. Hopefully it won't be too much of an issue.
Old 04-29-2016, 10:10 PM
DerekS
Rennlist Member

Creaks tend to drive me nuts, but I like the looks of the Targa so much I decided to just pull the trigger. Hopefully it won't be too much of an issue.
While I am noisy about my noises (heh) I do love the car. The Targa bar gives the car a fresh unique look that people notice. And when the top is down...life is awesome!!!
Old 04-29-2016, 11:01 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 331 Likes on 190 Posts

Creaks tend to drive me nuts, but I like the looks of the Targa so much I decided to just pull the trigger. Hopefully it won't be too much of an issue.
I've got 6,100 miles on mine now and its currently creak free.

I did have one harmonic vibration when slowly accelerating at approx. 2K rpm's (think 7th gear at 70mph on highway) with the top up, but after a little "where is that coming from" investigation, I isolated it to an interior trim peace that supports the targa top when it is down that is just behind the Targa bar on the passenger side. I just pushed that down a bit to make sure it was properly seated and have not had the issue again, and that was a couple thousand miles ago.

Just got back from some $hitty *** NY state roads near Pleasantville and no creaks, rattles or other annoying sounds at all even on some punishing roads.

And I agree with DerekS....top down Targa driving is the ****.

Last edited by Al.Fresco; 04-30-2016 at 12:30 AM.
Old 04-30-2016, 12:15 AM
thomnellie
Racer

I have 5700 miles on my Targa, and drive it year round, including in the snow and on some seriously rough roads. At around 2000 miles I had a very minor rattle that would occur occasionally on broken pavement. My wife never noticed it until I pointed it out. It sounded like a loose seatbelt or loose change. The dealer managed to solve the problem.

I disagree that the experience with the top down is the same as a coupe with a sun roof. Not as expansive as a convertible certainly, but wonderful nonetheless.

I've not noticed the driving experience to be substantially different than a C4. If you're not used to a rear engine all wheel drive, it is different from rear wheel drive. When pushed hard the awd can feel a bit "weird" compared to a 2, until you adjust your technique.

Quick Reply: Targa help/advice