Sponsored by:

PSE Retrofit to S System

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 04:24 PM
Johnny5Alive
Burning Brakes

Received 327 Likes on 132 Posts
Default PSE Retrofit to S System

Sorry for bringing this up yet again, but in searching I haven't found anything conclusive about this issue.

There is this thread:
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/991/346239-991-pse-install-definitive-list-parts-prices.html

It seems that the S system has enough already there to where not many parts are needed. The console switch, longer vacuum lines, and center muffler are necessary, but the tips are unclear.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a cargraphic with the center console button retrofit but the PSE could end up being a lot cheaper if I only buy the necessary parts. Not to mention, it will also be more preferred for resale vs aftermarket.

Has anyone else retrofitted PSE to their Carrera S and ordered the parts a la carte? It seems like for around $1500 - $2000 in parts plus the install you could do this pretty easily.
The following users liked this post:
sdfargo (06-06-2021)
Old 04-25-2016, 07:31 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

There are many threads on this topic, including the most recent that discussed this exact approach and, specifically, the tips. The simple answer regarding the tips is yes an no. No, the stock twin tips will not bolt straight on, but yes, some have jury rigged them to make them work with gaps.

IMO, it's penny wise and pound foolish to not just buy the kit from Suncoast. Then just call around and find who will do the install the cheapest. That's where you're going to find the biggest variance, install costs. Some dealers will do it relatively inexpensively and some think it's a four day job for three technicians and they'll try to bend you over. It's a 4 hour job if you already have an S.
Old 04-25-2016, 07:49 PM
Johnny5Alive
Burning Brakes

Thanks I appreciate the input. I read the said discussions at length and none of them seemed to have any sort of definitive conclusions on the matter.

I just came back from Premiere Sportscar Service where the owners actually raced 911's at Le Mans and they had tons of highly prepped Porsches and some exotic cars in their very nice shop. The owners have a good relationship with my local dealer and my service manager as well.

After spending an hour with them and looking at the full cargraphic system they had on hand I've decided to go with cargraphic and Kent (the shop owner) is going to retrofit the PSE button and take it to my dealer to have the programming done for the button.

I like this route because I can further add side mufflers/cats/headers if I choose and they system will for all intents appear and function like stock with less weight and hopefully a small amount of extra performance. Kent is going to dyno the car as well.

I'm going to finalize all the details tomorrow. Will keep posted.
Old 04-25-2016, 07:55 PM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 84 Posts

Think I've posted this list about 40 times already, but here you go.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
PSE.pdf (243.2 KB, 618 views)
Old 04-25-2016, 08:05 PM
Johnny5Alive
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Homeles
Think I've posted this list about 40 times already, but here you go.
Thanks, yes I saw this before. I looked up the prices of the parts plus labor and with this route it is actually about the same price to go aftermarket in my case. It's a hard decision between oem and something aftermarket but as I mentioned I'll likely go aftermarket route for some other advantages.
Old 04-27-2016, 02:40 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 850 Likes on 466 Posts

Yes...looking at the same and its down to Akrapovic, AWE and Cargraphic I think and a PSE retrofit.

Many posts related to this. All are helpful.
Old 04-27-2016, 03:40 AM
Johnny5Alive
Burning Brakes

Here's my thoughts is that if you're made of money the Akrapovic is hands down the best choice. I've had akrapovic on my bikes and it's amazing. But it's 3X the price of other options, or at least twice the price.

I considered the AWE but from what I have learned from asking around is that it's very loud. I liked the cargraphic option as they are an actual german company (for whatever it's worth) and they're a similar design, but not as loud, while being like an enhanced PSE.

Will post results soon.
Old 04-27-2016, 03:36 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,632 Likes on 2,358 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
Yes...looking at the same and its down to Akrapovic, AWE and Cargraphic I think and a PSE retrofit.

Many posts related to this. All are helpful.
dont forget the Tubi or the Kline Inconel
Old 04-28-2016, 11:57 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
dont forget the Tubi or the Kline Inconel
look at ipe as well.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:58 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,632 Likes on 2,358 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
look at ipe as well.
+1
Old 06-03-2016, 04:02 PM
Johnny5Alive
Burning Brakes

So here's what I decided:

The PSE kit from Suncoast had all the necessary components perfectly matched by VIN. I ordered this kit and had it installed by Trophy Performance in Las Vegas.

The dealer quoted me over $1000 for install. Trophy, an amazing shop, which was founded and owned by the guys who ran the Porsche service center for Gaudin, installed and programmed the car for a bit more than half the cost. They also threw on my 5mm spacer kit as a courtesy. Highly recommend Trophy.

For reference I also own a very mean sounding Boss 302 with kooks headers and corsa axle back, and lopey idle tune. The PSE is not as loud as the mustang, but has a great almost exotic sound to it. It sounds every bit as good as the mustang albeit not as loud.

Not sure why people aren't pleased with the system, and go with yet further aftermarket kits on top of the PSE, as it is plenty for a car like this.

All in I was roughly $3,100 with parts and install. If I recall correctly this is less than the cost from the factory.

Now I just need to figure out what to do with the standard S exhaust. eBay I guess...
Old 06-03-2016, 04:32 PM
dgoldenz
Burning Brakes

Received 416 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny5Alive

The PSE kit from Suncoast had all the necessary components perfectly matched by VIN. I ordered this kit and had it installed by Trophy Performance in Las Vegas.

The dealer quoted me over $1000 for install. Trophy, an amazing shop, which was founded and owned by the guys who ran the Porsche service center for Gaudin, installed and programmed the car for a bit more than half the cost. They also threw on my 5mm spacer kit as a courtesy. Highly recommend Trophy.

For reference I also own a very mean sounding Boss 302 with kooks headers and corsa axle back, and lopey idle tune. The PSE is not as loud as the mustang, but has a great almost exotic sound to it. It sounds every bit as good as the mustang albeit not as loud.

Not sure why people aren't pleased with the system, and go with yet further aftermarket kits on top of the PSE, as it is plenty for a car like this.

All in I was roughly $3,100 with parts and install. If I recall correctly this is less than the cost from the factory.

Now I just need to figure out what to do with the standard S exhaust. eBay I guess...
Trophy is top notch and they do get some pretty sick cars coming through the shop...there was a LaFerrari and Voodoo Blue GT3RS in the detail shop last two times I was there too.
Old 06-03-2016, 05:04 PM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 139 Posts

As a point of reference, Princeton Porsche fitted mine 2 weeks ago ('16 4S) for Suncoast price for the parts + $650 install.

I toyed with the idea of getting "just the needed parts" listed in various threads but decided I didn't want anything done half-*** to make it kinda fit, so went with the factory provided parts.

Couldn't be happier.
Old 06-03-2016, 05:05 PM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 139 Posts

Let me know how you make out with that I have one listed on the parts section here with about 300 miles on it.....

I'm not holding out much hope of making anything back......
Old 06-03-2016, 05:37 PM
Cristophosphorus
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Good call on going with PSE. It's a great system. I prematurely pulled the trigger on my AWE SwitchPath and should have left my GTS stock to enjoy the sound for a while.

The good thing is that you're all wired and ready in case you want to consider future upgrades or an x-pipe.

Quick Reply: PSE Retrofit to S System