Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with Euro Delivery plans - Italy, not track focused!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 04:36 PM
RS911
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
personally I think trying Stuttgart to Como in one day is too much, it wont be as much fun, and you will be tired of sitting in the car after 6 hours... also do not forget to factor in the fact that once you leave an autobahn/strada you will be on much slower and busier roads ...
I agree with Larry. Stuttgart to Lake Como is too much. Try to break it up. Try to avoid the freeways in Switzerland. And most importantly, when in Italy always park the car in an underground garage for the night, even in Como. We even had police pulling us over to remind us of this.

Have fun.
Old 04-25-2016, 04:38 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,423 Likes on 2,237 Posts

Originally Posted by RS911
I agree with Larry. Stuttgart to Lake Como is too much. Try to break it up. Try to avoid the freeways in Switzerland. And most importantly, when in Italy always park the car in an underground garage for the night, even in Como. We even had police pulling us over to remind us of this.

Have fun.
and dont exceed the posted speed limit if you dont ...

BTW you going to have them drill the front bumper for the license plate?
Old 04-25-2016, 06:56 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,083 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by Dalema
Hi all. So some amendments to the trip based on feedback so far - keep it coming.

We will head south via the Gotthard Pass, take a day less in Como and add a stop in Cinque Terra.

Question 1: On our first day of driving, should we stop somewhere around the Gotthard Pass or just push on down to Como in 1 day. If we do the latter, we can get back the day in Como - I'm just a bit concerned it's too far in one day.

Question 2: Does anyone here work at Google and know how fast Google Maps assumes you drive on the Autobahn - hahaha ?

Latest route: https://goo.gl/maps/3wL1ZXojKu52

Day 1 – Leave US to FRA
Day 2 – Arrive FRA, train to Stuttgart
Day 3 – Zuffenhausen pick up 8:30am; tour, lunch and museum
Day 4 – Stuttgart to Gotthard Pass – 4 hr drive
• Where should we stay?
Day 5 – Gotthard Pass to Lake Como – 2 hr drive
• Now deciding where to stay.
Day 6 – Lake Como to Monterosso al Mare – 4 hr
Day 7 – Monterosso al Mare to Borgo Argenina (Tuscany) – 3.5 hr drive
Day 8 - Borgo Argenina (Tuscany)
Day 9 - Borgo Argenina (Tuscany)
Day 10 - Borgo Argenina to Parma – 3 hr drive
• Where should we stay?
Day 11 – Parma
Day 12 – Parma to Interalpen-Hotel Tyrol – 4.5 hr drive
Day 13 – Interlapen to Stuttgart – 4 hr drive; drop off car at ZF by 5pm; train to FRA
• Via Neuschwanstein Castle
Day 14 – Leave FRA to US
One place you might like to consider overnighting on your way down to Como is Andermatt which is just before you hit the Gotthard Pass.

Andermatt is really, really pretty in summer and there is a swish new hotel there too. It is quite unique in that it is at the crossroads of 3 great roads, the Gotthard Pass, the Furka Pass and the Oberalp Pass. I have driven both the Oberalp and the Gotthard.
Attached Images     
Old 04-25-2016, 07:22 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

CORRECT!

The Chedi Andermatt ! we were going to stop here overnight last year when we picked up the GTS (of course we cancelled when our dog died)

but this place is AWESOME!

http://www.thechedi-andermatt.com/en/

Last edited by Larry Cable; 04-26-2016 at 07:47 PM.
Old 04-26-2016, 11:36 AM
Tomcatz
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In Parma - I stayed at the NH Hotel. Next to the train station. Not luxury, but clean, modern, well-located and an excellent underground parking garage. Navi had trouble getting me there - entrance / parking is on the north side of the station.
Old 04-27-2016, 08:27 AM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Villa d'Este in Como. Literally one of the best hotels in the world and a great romantic stop for you and your wife. It's very special.

I don't know Parma so can't help there.

Innsbruck is a bit difficult from my experience. It's very nice, but there really aren't any special hotels there. It's also a pretty quiet place. You may want to look into Kitzbuhel instead. It's one of the high-end ski resort towns nearby. The Grand Tirolia Hotel there is incredible. Oh, and the drive up to Kitzbuhel is the best part (but you don't have to tell your wife that that's why you're taking her there!).
Old 04-27-2016, 12:04 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hinckley
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Villa d'Este in Como. Literally one of the best hotels in the world and a great romantic stop for you and your wife. It's very special.

I don't know Parma so can't help there.

Innsbruck is a bit difficult from my experience. It's very nice, but there really aren't any special hotels there. It's also a pretty quiet place. You may want to look into Kitzbuhel instead. It's one of the high-end ski resort towns nearby. The Grand Tirolia Hotel there is incredible. Oh, and the drive up to Kitzbuhel is the best part (but you don't have to tell your wife that that's why you're taking her there!).
I thought I did... anyway +1
Old 04-27-2016, 02:43 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

I thought I did... anyway +1
Sorry my friend, I missed that!
Old 04-27-2016, 02:45 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Sorry my friend, I missed that!
not too mention their concours!

http://concorsodeleganzavilladeste.com/
Old 04-27-2016, 04:34 PM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks everyone for the amazing input - it is very helpful!!

Originally Posted by alanjcook
When are you going? The Swiss mountain passes can be closed through late may and early June. They may be open one day and closed the next . Be prepared to call an audible if the passes you are driving are closed.

Allow yourself the opportunity to get off the main highways and explore the smaller roads -- especially in the Dolomites. I found them to be more entertaining than most highways.

Lake Como is terrifying to drive around -- I parked the car in Como and took buses and ferries across the water.

You will be passing the Ferrari and Lamborghini factories -- try to visit both. Great fun -- even if just looking through the fence to watch cars on the test track. Damn, those engine really scream.

My experience through stelvio was awesome -- I echo sentiments of others that other mountain passes are "better" but if it's on your list don't think twice and just go! You'll grin from ear to ear driving the switchbacks and meeting others along the way that went just because of top gear. time your driving for early morning or late afternoon to avoid biggest crowds

Innsbrook was one of my favorite cities. Great yoga studios. Terrific restaurants. Check out the bergisol ski jump and walk the old town.

Plan your itinerary as you are currently doing, then stay flexible and be prepared to change along the way as you take in the experience.

One restaurant suggestion for Florence: la giostra. Have been a half dozen times in last 15 years. Friends have gone may more times. Easily my personal favorite.

Please take and share a lot of pictures for the rest of us :-) if you want to see pix and notes from my trip, search this forum and/or check out alanjcook.wordpress.com. Look specifically at may 2013 and June 2013. Happy to share suggestions for any place I visited along the way.

Most important: Enjoy! You are gonna have a great time.

Alan
Thanks Alan. I've adjusted part of the trip to deal with the pass closures and will just have to see what happens (e.g. I think it snowed in Stuttgart yesterday). I really want to try and fit the Dolomites in too. Thanks for all the tips along the way - I'll check out your trip too!

Originally Posted by p987yow
Here are some thoughts for Day 4-5:

- Stuttgart to Bern/Interlaken/Grindewald (Romantik Hotel Schweizerhof) - take train up to Jungfraujoch
- Interlaken to Lugano/Como: Take SustenStrasse (11) over to Andermatt to the Oberalp Pass to town of Disentis then south on Lukmanier Pass to the E35 to Lugano to the SS340 Menaggio. Ferry to Bellagio or drive to Como.

The Gotthard pass is nice, but the Oberalp/Lukmanier pass is nicer. I much prefer Lugano over Como and it will be safer for your car. Day trip it to Como. Like Larry states, if you're want to stay in the Como area, choose Bellagio - much nicer than Como.
Awesome - thanks the for the specifics! We are re-thinking staying in Como as there appears to be an event on the lake that weekend so availability is proving tough - so maybe we'll do Lugano.

personally I think trying Stuttgart to Como in one day is too much, it wont be as much fun, and you will be tired of sitting in the car after 6 hours... also
do not forget to factor in the fact that once you leave an autobahn/strada
you will be on much slower and busier roads ...
Originally Posted by RS911

Have fun.
Agreed - it would be too much, so will pull up short and head over the passes (hopefully) the following morning into Lugano / Como.

BTW you going to have them drill the front bumper for the license plate?
I'm not going to drill the plate - there definitely seems to be some consternation over this and if the Swiss authorities will make it an issue. Guess I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Originally Posted by Chris3963
One place you might like to consider overnighting on your way down to Como is Andermatt which is just before you hit the Gotthard Pass.

Andermatt is really, really pretty in summer and there is a swish new hotel there too. It is quite unique in that it is at the crossroads of 3 great roads, the Gotthard Pass, the Furka Pass and the Oberalp Pass. I have driven both the Oberalp and the Gotthard.
CORRECT!

The Chedi Andermatt ! we were going to stop here overnight last year when we picked up the GTS (of course we cancelled when our dog died)

but this place is AWESOME!

http://www.thechedi-andermatt.com/en/
We checked this out - but it was running close to $1,000/night so will try to find somewhere more cost effective .... and spend that money on wine later in the trip

Originally Posted by Tomcatz
In Parma - I stayed at the NH Hotel. Next to the train station. Not luxury, but clean, modern, well-located and an excellent underground parking garage. Navi had trouble getting me there - entrance / parking is on the north side of the station.
Thanks for the tip - just checked it and looks full, so will keep looking.

Awesome - thanks for the input! Looking into those places.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:19 AM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Tomcatz
Hi. Looks like the NH is unavailable, any others you remember from Parma or anywhere around that area? Thanks.
Old 04-28-2016, 04:47 PM
trucheli
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I have been to Lake Como four times out of my eight European Deliveries, staying in Varenna, Cernobbio, Bellagio and Lenno (http://www.albergolenno.com/en/). I wonder why, my wife and I love it the same as Lake Garda. This is what I would do. I would head down to Switzerland staying in Lauterbrunnen for three nights, from there you can go to Murren and sourrounding towns then head down to Lake Como staying in Lenno, this is a beautiful town outside of Cernobbio. From the hotel's outside door you can take a ferry to Bellagio and Villa del Balbianello. The advantage of being on Cernobbio side is that you can take a day trip to Milan. You can park at a Municipal Parking outside Milan and take the train to the city leaving your car in a secure covered parking. I would not drive into Milan.
Old 04-28-2016, 08:35 PM
bandi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Bimmerfest has an excellent ED board if you haven't seen it...

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25
Old 04-28-2016, 08:37 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bandi
Bimmerfest has an excellent ED board if you haven't seen it...

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25
+1
Old 04-28-2016, 08:41 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by trucheli
I have been to Lake Como four times out of my eight European Deliveries, staying in Varenna, Cernobbio, Bellagio and Lenno (http://www.albergolenno.com/en/). I wonder why, my wife and I love it the same as Lake Garda. This is what I would do. I would head down to Switzerland staying in Lauterbrunnen for three nights, from there you can go to Murren and sourrounding towns then head down to Lake Como staying in Lenno, this is a beautiful town outside of Cernobbio. From the hotel's outside door you can take a ferry to Bellagio and Villa del Balbianello. The advantage of being on Cernobbio side is that you can take a day trip to Milan. You can park at a Municipal Parking outside Milan and take the train to the city leaving your car in a secure covered parking. I would not drive into Milan.
I'll bite that's an awful lot of ED BMW's ... especially M3's!

Quick Reply: Help with Euro Delivery plans - Italy, not track focused!