Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche 911 show on Velocity

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 09:04 AM
white6speed
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 97 Posts

No doubt a sales ad paid for by Porsche. I guess the strategy of telling the world the last iteration was not much but the new one is the second coming works as we keep buying them. After all how many iPhones have we had. Little bit of difference in price though.
Old 04-23-2016, 10:42 AM
Dangelus
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As a long time Porsche owner and a lover of the brand, I am embarrassed for Porsche. Infomercials are for vacuum cleaners not for high-end sports cars.
Old 04-23-2016, 11:15 AM
Mlbraptor
Burning Brakes

They never did a bunch of advertising on the 991.1. Must have been worried that no one would want the new ones..
Old 04-23-2016, 02:14 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by Mlbraptor
They never did a bunch of advertising on the 991.1. Must have been worried that no one would want the new ones..
Oh yes they did and lots of it. And had a hard time forcing a sedan wheelbase onto 911 enthusiasts. At least this time they offer RWS as a mitigating fix, thus the 991.2S drives nimbler.
Old 04-23-2016, 02:32 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
Oh yes they did and lots of it. And had a hard time forcing a sedan wheelbase onto 911 enthusiasts.
I love reading dopey comments like this. About a car that turns a 4 second faster Ring time than a GT4 and stomps the car it replaced on any track. As I say in response to all the dopey comments about the electric steering, if it's good enough for Tiff, should be good enough for us...

Old 04-23-2016, 02:49 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I love reading dopey comments like this. About a car that turns a 4 second faster Ring time than a GT4 and stomps the car it replaced on any track. As I say in response to all the dopey comments about the electric steering, if it's good enough for Tiff, should be good enough for us...
No one ever said the 991 is not a better car than previous gens, which it is, from a measurable performance perspective. That is not the issue, but if you do not get it, you never liked the 'defective' earlier 911s.

And BTW... the 991.2 is also a better car than the 991.1, in many ways. And better still when equipped with RWS.
Old 04-23-2016, 03:12 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I just searched for it on my DVR and no joy (DTV ch 281). Even though the show is getting some brickbats I'd like to see some footage on the 991.2
Old 04-23-2016, 03:38 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 917k
I just searched for it on my DVR and no joy (DTV ch 281). Even though the show is getting some brickbats I'd like to see some footage on the 991.2
I'm sure Velocity will show it again. In the meantime, snippets here:

http://www.velocity.com/tv-shows/por...-in-evolution/
Old 04-23-2016, 03:50 PM
ags28
Rennlist Member

Lightbulb infomercial

Instead of Justin Bell and Danny Sullivan, they should have had Chef Tony and Ron Popeil. Then they could throw in an Easy Eggwich or a Showtime Rotisserie to sweeten the deal!
Old 04-23-2016, 04:51 PM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 66 Posts

I'm going to preface this by stating that I'll be picking up my .2 C4S this week.

Yes, I was looking forward to the show too, and if you step back and watch it objectively - even as an ad, they talk about the exhaust noise maybe 38 times in 23 minutes of film. Not to mention the high -speed pass.

Clearly, Porsche is watching our boards, if they weren't you wouldn't have the R or the GT4.

I understand the thoughtful analysis people go through in deciding whether or not to hold onto what they have, or go for something new.

I've heard the car with PSE outside from a cold start and inside as well too. It sounds great and I didn't hear any turbo whine- it's gotta be there but maybe standing a few feet away or being in the cabin mutes it, as I didn't hear it.

Irrespective of that, by my saying it sounds great, it begs the question, doesn't the NA sound better? Of course it does, but my C63 S with 6.2l engine sounded a lot better than my .1 with PSE.

I'm really looking forward to getting the .2 and exploring it's new characteristics. I'm going to be learning a new platform with PDK, PSM Sport and the rear-wheel steering-a lot to look forward, not to mention seeing new aftermarket exhaust options and other goodies, like auto-stop defeat software.

We're all very lucky.

As a further aside, the one car I regret selling is my 997.1 C2S. What a car! You could go in slow into corners and come out fast - manual rev matching, I could see the front wheels as Ferry intended. In my option a real high-water mark (except for the IMS issue).

On Kendall limping and having a paunch, he was in a life threatening accident on the track I think a year or two ago and is probably very lucky to still be with us.

At the end of the day this is an outlet and a healthy distraction for all of us . I want to hear people's opinions and what a great reference this is. What's tiring sometimes is incessant hammering on the same point by certain posters. Like Chuck on PDK vs. manual and engine break -in; thanks for your view and comments, now let's hear from someone else. After the 195th post on the same matter - trust me, we heard you.
Old 04-23-2016, 06:10 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by BlackBeauty
I'm going to preface this by stating that I'll be picking up my .2 C4S this week.

Yes, I was looking forward to the show too, and if you step back and watch it objectively - even as an ad, they talk about the exhaust noise maybe 38 times in 23 minutes of film. Not to mention the high -speed pass.

Clearly, Porsche is watching our boards, if they weren't you wouldn't have the R or the GT4.

I understand the thoughtful analysis people go through in deciding whether or not to hold onto what they have, or go for something new.

I've heard the car with PSE outside from a cold start and inside as well too. It sounds great and I didn't hear any turbo whine- it's gotta be there but maybe standing a few feet away or being in the cabin mutes it, as I didn't hear it.

Irrespective of that, by my saying it sounds great, it begs the question, doesn't the NA sound better? Of course it does, but my C63 S with 6.2l engine sounded a lot better than my .1 with PSE.

I'm really looking forward to getting the .2 and exploring it's new characteristics. I'm going to be learning a new platform with PDK, PSM Sport and the rear-wheel steering-a lot to look forward, not to mention seeing new aftermarket exhaust options and other goodies, like auto-stop defeat software.

We're all very lucky.

As a further aside, the one car I regret selling is my 997.1 C2S. What a car! You could go in slow into corners and come out fast - manual rev matching, I could see the front wheels as Ferry intended. In my option a real high-water mark (except for the IMS issue).

On Kendall limping and having a paunch, he was in a life threatening accident on the track I think a year or two ago and is probably very lucky to still be with us.

At the end of the day this is an outlet and a healthy distraction for all of us . I want to hear people's opinions and what a great reference this is. What's tiring sometimes is incessant hammering on the same point by certain posters. Like Chuck on PDK vs. manual and engine break -in; thanks for your view and comments, now let's hear from someone else. After the 195th post on the same matter - trust me, we heard you.
I agree with you. The 991.2 is a better car than the 991.1, especially if the 991 has RWS.
Old 04-24-2016, 01:03 PM
Key Left
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by petee1997
Not too sure about tough to sell. My dealer is now selling for Sept. delivery. Allocations are being pushed further back. Mind you that is not unusual with a new model.
My dealer has three just sitting there looking at me.....
Old 04-24-2016, 02:38 PM
Key Left
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gmaki
Watching this thing now and completely disappointed. I thought this was going to be a documentary on the history of the 911. Instead it is just a long infomercial for the 991.2.

This just looks desperate and very un-Porschelike.
Exactly. "Thou doth protest too much" was my takeaway.
Old 04-24-2016, 03:46 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Key Left
My dealer has three just sitting there looking at me.....
My SA confided in me after his first drive of the new car that he thought it was going to be a tougher sell than the .1.
Old 04-24-2016, 05:10 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Archimedes
My SA confided in me after his first drive of the new car that he thought it was going to be a tougher sell than the .1.
Probably not, because on balance it is a better car.

Quick Reply: Porsche 911 show on Velocity