Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 Technology

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2016 | 04:53 PM
budrichard
Banned

Default 991.2 Technology

I strongly advise anyone acquiring a new 991.2 to get the manual as soon as your vehicle arrives and give it a look through before picking up the car.
There are no spare manuals available as each one belongs to specific vehicle.
I did this with my 981B and made a list of parameters to set before I left the Dealership.
I had a couple of days to study the 991.2 manual but it became quickly evident that the sheer volume of material was beyond a cursory read.
I am very tech savvy but I knew what I wanted set basically and the setup of paramters was somewhat similar to the Boxster except no stalk control for me, the multifunction control on the steering wheel gets you through the menu system.
So with the SA, we went through the basics and after getting my iPhone connected, seat and driving position, Music piping into the Bose and WAZE running on my iPhone, I said "Goodbye" as i was in Overload.
Today I spent some time in the morning with the parameters, fine tuning but I just could not find out how to turn ON the Heated Steering Wheel nor get to the Bass, Treble, Fader and Balance.
Finally called one of the SA's and he told me that on the lower spoke of the steering wheel is a flush button that you push! Manual is certainly not clear and don't know if I ever would have found it myself.
As to Bose control, you can control each source separately for your audio paramters. Once you figure out how to get to each specific source, then it's a 2 key punch to get to the appropriate menu and you position a circle locator to set your Balance and Fade.
I don't know if I could correctly write down the sequence.
What I refuse to is to try to 'finger' it out while driving.
Cars of yesteryear no problem. Pick up a rental, set everything on the go.
Today's vehicles have too much technology.
So, I probably have 30 minutes total in three separate sessions to get the car configured to my liking.
Having to use a USB cable to connect the iPhone to Apple Play sucks as its unsightly and there is no dock or good place to mount your iPhone. It looks like I will need another one of T-Designs iPhone holders. But on the other hand now I have an iPad mini size screen to use, steering wheel control and Siri to dial my phone for me.
I'm tired as I put another 150 miles on today so I''m past the 2000 mile 4Krpm limitation for Blackhawk next month.
Oh, yes i also configured my 'I' position on the little button on the steering wheel for Modes(Sport, Sport Plus).
That was easy.-Richard
Old 04-16-2016 | 06:00 PM
LCW
Pro

Hey tanks for the input. I will pick up mine the week after next, so this was very helpful. You mentioned about the owner's manual. Is there one posted online? The only one I could find was for a 991.1... Thank you
Old 04-16-2016 | 06:54 PM
budrichard
Banned

I do not know of an Owner's Manual for the 991.2 Posted on-line.-Richard
BTW, I'm presently trying to figure out how to get Porsche Car Connect APP working.
It asks for an Activation number that I did not get from my SA.
I did manage to configure the WI-FI network name and Password to my iPhone but that's only a small part of the battle.
There is Porsche Car Connect APP which I want to configure and also PCM Connect APP which is something else entirely.
What a mess!
Porsche Car Connect is listed as a standard Feature.-Richard
Old 04-16-2016 | 09:40 PM
LCW
Pro

Yes I have been wondering about that too... I get conflicting answers... Isn't that the service that allows you, among other things, to track the car if it is stolen?
Old 04-17-2016 | 06:36 AM
budrichard
Banned

Originally Posted by LCW
Yes I have been wondering about that too... I get conflicting answers... Isn't that the service that allows you, among other things, to track the car if it is stolen?
The sensors installed in your car will trigger and send a signal to the monitoring(Cobra) station which will contact you. you can also mointor your car and operate certain features from your iPhone.
I have set up my account with Cobra, forwarded details to my SA and now it's in his and Porsche's ballpark to take the Code Cobra supplied me and connect me.
I have also connected the car WiFi to my iPhone for what that's worth.
The car can act as a WIFi 'hotspot' if you want.
The Car is like an iPad with Cellular Connectivity. When you get service it's got it's own connection to the World.-Richard
Old 04-17-2016 | 08:45 AM
LCW
Pro

It's approx $200 per year, correct?
Old 04-17-2016 | 09:21 AM
budrichard
Banned

Money has not changed hands yet.
I expect a few months free such as Sirius offers.-Richard
Old 04-17-2016 | 09:45 AM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

I got to know Porsche Car Connect with my Panamera S e Hybrid. Which I'm in the process of replacing with a 991.1 C2S by the way.

The dealer needs to do the initial activation, since that's essentially getting the car to talk to Cobra's web site. After that, you go to Cobra's web site, log in, and ask for an activation code. You copy and paste that to the iPhone or Android app, and the app can then talk to the web site, which gets the information from your car. You can do this as many times as you like - currently I have 3 devices that can read the car's information.

There 3 separate services, "remote," "safety," and "security," each with their own subscription plan. Plus "eMobility" if you have one of the 2014+ Hybrids. You get 6 months free, and after that they want money. Bundling everything together is $300 year - taking just one or two is less, but not a lot less.

None of them are remotely worth an annual fee. "Remote" gives you some car information, like current fuel tank status and the trip status you can get from the MFD. "Safety" lets you report a breakdown... if you don't have a cell phone for some reason, I guess. Theft is LoJack, only with a hefty annual fee that LoJack doesn't charge.

With one of the Hybrids, you also get a subset of "Remote" services for 5 years, which tells you things like the car's current charging status. That's the only thing I still have running.
Old 04-17-2016 | 10:19 AM
LCW
Pro

My dealer does not know anything about Car Connect... Forget getting them to do the activation, etc... I think I will pass and save me the aggravation...
Old 04-18-2016 | 02:31 AM
Dewinator
Drifting

Originally Posted by budrichard
I strongly advise anyone acquiring a new 991.2 to get the manual as soon as your vehicle arrives and give it a look through before picking up the car.
There are no spare manuals available as each one belongs to specific vehicle.
I did this with my 981B and made a list of parameters to set before I left the Dealership.
I had a couple of days to study the 991.2 manual but it became quickly evident that the sheer volume of material was beyond a cursory read.
You think that's bad, try flying a plane. You get thousands of pages of "Generator #3 powers the DC Avionics Bus with Three-Phase, 200hz, 45kVa power via the Aft Transformer-Rectifier and #2 AC bus in case of Generator #2 failure then #1..."
Old 04-18-2016 | 07:30 AM
budrichard
Banned

Originally Posted by Dewinator
You think that's bad, try flying a plane. You get thousands of pages of "Generator #3 powers the DC Avionics Bus with Three-Phase, 200hz, 45kVa power via the Aft Transformer-Rectifier and #2 AC bus in case of Generator #2 failure then #1..."
You think that's bad, try being a Senior Reactor Operator (SRO) licensed by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission(NRC) to "direct and manipulate the controls" of a Nuclear Power Plant!
We put 1085 MWe power out of the Electrical Generator at 25Kva which our two 500 MW transformers per unit upped to 345 Kva for distribution.
Internal buses were 4Kv and 480 volts with a 5 125 Vdc battery systems and 5, 4 MWe Cooper Bessemer 16 cyl Diesel Generators for Emergency Power.
Most operators spend two spend two years or more studing for the exam but since I am a Degreed Nuclear Engineer I only spent 6 months. The NRC exam was tougher than my Masters's exams.
-Richard
Old 04-18-2016 | 07:32 AM
budrichard
Banned

Back on Topic.
LOJACK is not available in Wisconsin so my primary want is the theft monitoring.
I'll take the Dealership through the process.-Richard
Old 04-18-2016 | 07:47 AM
LCW
Pro

Why is LoJack not available in Wisconsin?

Is LoJack worth it? Is still the preferred way to go? I know in FL most dealers will install LoJack on all their inventory to protect themselves and then try to sell it as an add on to customers...
Old 04-18-2016 | 08:42 AM
Dewinator
Drifting

Originally Posted by budrichard
The NRC exam was tougher than my Masters's exams.
-Richard
Wow sounds complicated! You'd think anything that Homer can do wouldn't be that hard. Do you have like a big throttle lever that pushes the fuel rods in and makes like a "BWWOOOO" noise as it powers up?
Old 04-18-2016 | 06:22 PM
budrichard
Banned

"Why is LoJack not available in Wisconsin?"

Don't know!-Richard

Quick Reply: 991.2 Technology