Sponsored by:

Rumormill: The 912 making a comeback?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 12:26 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by tomc_mets
I'm probably in the RL minority, but I'd like to see such a thing. Would be great for commuting, and road trips IMO. The wife's SLK is a 4 cylinder turbo, and it's a fun little machine, gets good gas mileage, only OK for short road trips though due to its roadster configuration. Even more fun if you use it in Sport mode & with the paddle shifters. So, jam something similar into the 911 body, get the engineers to add Porsche tuning, handling, sensibilities etc. I agree that they'd have to lightweight as best as possible, and avoid the Morden urge to boost the vehicle. And, I'd buy it. Of course, I'd still keep my NA 997.2S for weekend fun drives!
T
Remember going to a smaller turbo engine with comparable horsepower doesn't really improve true fuel economy! The EPA and Euro equivalents just use such jokingly slow acceleration that these engines are able to do it without using much if any turbo boost... so you get the effect of a smaller engine on the test, but then if you actually go drive it the boost kicks in and it gobbles gas just like the bigger engine would.
Old 04-15-2016, 12:27 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

I feel obligated to post this pic in all such threads decrying 4 bangers, turbos, hybrid, etc.

I think there is a place for such technology. I fear the real issue is choice. Those who like naturally aspirated ICEs should have that choice, but the decision is increasingly not being made by the market, but by regulators...T
Attached Images  
Old 04-15-2016, 02:44 PM
KY_soldier
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was skeptical about a 4 cyl in the 718, but the performance numbers speak for themselves, the weight saving is significant, and the sound was just awesome. It will absolutely sell just as hacker-pschorr correctly alluded to - the base boxster (which was my first p car in 98 and I waited 9 months on the order) resurrected the company as did the Cayenne. The nay sayers can hate, but Porsche seems to have a pretty good handle on things right now. I could easly see the boxster S engine in an entry level 911 for maybe $75k give or take. The 991.2 shot up in price so high that there is definitely still a gap in that $75-90k space that the base carrera used to fill
Old 04-15-2016, 04:08 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,301 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by KY_soldier
I was skeptical about a 4 cyl in the 718, but the performance numbers speak for themselves, the weight saving is significant, and the sound was just awesome. It will absolutely sell just as hacker-pschorr correctly alluded to - the base boxster (which was my first p car in 98 and I waited 9 months on the order) resurrected the company as did the Cayenne. The nay sayers can hate, but Porsche seems to have a pretty good handle on things right now. I could easly see the boxster S engine in an entry level 911 for maybe $75k give or take. The 991.2 shot up in price so high that there is definitely still a gap in that $75-90k space that the base carrera used to fill
7/10, 6/10, 8/10, 8/10. Even the East German judge seems impressed.

Quick Reply: Rumormill: The 912 making a comeback?