Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Apple Car Play.....Yea or Nay

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2016 | 07:41 PM
arlan in arizona
Racer

Default Apple Car Play.....Yea or Nay

I had been anticipating the arrival of Apple Car Play and now that I have it I am wondering if I will ever use it.

I am not that great at all the technical stuff out there but I do fair.

It seems every time I enable Apple Car Play, well it just sort of Hi-Jacks my phone and the PCM seems to loose some function. And the Apple Maps suck.

I realize that not a lot of Rennlist users have no yet used Apple Car Play in their new .2's yet, but to those that have. What do you think of it?
Old 04-13-2016 | 09:01 PM
9914s
Rennlist Member

I have it on my daily driver I think is OK.
Old 04-13-2016 | 09:21 PM
arlan in arizona
Racer

Originally Posted by sfer
Couple of things to remember:
1. It hijacks your phone by design. It's meant to move the functions to the head unit so you aren't dangerously using the phone while driving.
I hear you, but I feel the phone is not as easy to use as before.

On the PCM display it reads "No Phone". I really need more experience with it before I complain further. Perhaps it is great and I am just an old dinosaur.
Old 04-14-2016 | 08:26 AM
2001f4s
Rennlist Member

I have Apple Carplay in my DD and I really like it. I am a regular user of Pandora and Youtube Music and I like the interface. I use the navigation feature regularly too. I do wish it had more Apps, but assume those will come in time. I would buy it again.
Old 04-14-2016 | 08:59 AM
9912B
Track Day

I am pleased with the Carplay implementation in my 911.2. Yes, Apple Maps is not great, but it has gotten much better. I have found myself mostly using the very good PCM map system/Google Maps. For music and everything else, Carpaly is great.
Old 04-15-2016 | 03:39 AM
eddtiff
Instructor

How does the new Car Play compare with the non-Car Play PCM in .1?

I would be very interested to know.
Old 04-16-2016 | 07:53 AM
budrichard
Banned

Picked up the 991.2 yesterday but from one day's experience, I found the use of CarPlay very easy but two things are problematical.
First is the need to have the phone connected by cable with no 'Dock' or fixture to hold the iPhone.
Second is that WAZE is not yet available. So, I ended up listening to my 'Music' from the iPhone, letting 'Apple Maps' talk me home and watching WAZE in the foreground on the iPhone! Worked seamlessly.
T-Design makes a phone holder I have in my Boxster and I will probably get one for the 991.2 and query Apple to add WAZE.
But since WAZE is now owned by Google, I don't know if Apple will bend, I suspect not.
My 16 year old granddaughter had no problems with the CarPlay interface changing Music. She didn't ask a single question but just swiped away, My wife, asked, "How do I do this?"
More to come!-Richard
Old 04-16-2016 | 09:13 AM
2001f4s
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by eddtiff
How does the new Car Play compare with the non-Car Play PCM in .1?

I would be very interested to know.
I have 991.1 and I find the PCM fiddly and difficult to use. The display is nice, but I am still confused after 6 months of ownership and a couple tours of the manual on how to get everything out of it.

I switched to phone GPS years ago, as the entering of destinations is so much easier, than on the car GPS systems. One point on Navigation in Apple Maps on Carplay is there is no way to input a destination through Apple Car Play, unless it is a recently used. So you need to put in a new destination in through the phone either before connecting the phone or once it is connected.

I think one of the best features of Car Play is the SIRI audible texting. I don't use that on my phone as a stand alone, but I use it all the time on Car Play and it is pretty seamless.

I can think of no advantage of the PCM in 991.1 other than the look.

My 2 cents
Old 04-16-2016 | 09:39 AM
Just J
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by budrichard
First is the need to have the phone connected by cable with no 'Dock' or fixture to hold the iPhone.
ProClipUSA.com makes excellent mounts that let you use an Apple Lightning cable (don't get the mount with the built-in black cable as it's not 100% reliable).

And I agree that the lack of Waze support is problematical. Like you, in my non-CarPlay 991.1, I play my music from the phone through the PCM and run Waze on the phone.

Last edited by Just J; 04-16-2016 at 09:48 PM.
Old 04-16-2016 | 10:57 AM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

I have apple car play in my winter car (2016 Tiguan). Never use it and no interest in learning how to use it. No interest in connecting a cable to use it. The screen in the 911 is low. I don't use the Nav for that reason. For me personally, it's a useless toy. If I traded my 991.1 to upgrade to a 991.2 it would NOT be for the apple car play.

Quick Reply: Apple Car Play.....Yea or Nay