Sponsored by:

C2S vs 4

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 03:24 PM
Speedster91
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C2S vs 4

If I spec out both cars so that they're the same price, which should I lean for? Obviously I get to have more options with the 4. I live in Toronto Canada and am planning on driving in the snow, but I hear the C2S should not have any problems with winter tires. Can anybody please confirm their winter driving experience with the C2S?

I also preferred the wider back of the 4 but I guess I can live without that if the C2S is a better purchase.

Please advise.

And thank you all. You've been very helpful!
Old 04-13-2016, 03:26 PM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

4's got booty
Old 04-13-2016, 03:35 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

Are they charging you by the letter for posts?

Could you clarify? Does "4" mean C4S, C4, A4, S4, M4, TR4, MP4?
Old 04-13-2016, 03:57 PM
studlee
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm going to assume you mean c4. If your budget is stretching a c4s I would go c2s, or a CPO C4S with higher miles to get you within budget. if you want 1 car as DD and you get snow I would highly recommend a AWD car.

Originally Posted by Speedster91
If I spec out both cars so that they're the same price, which should I lean for? Obviously I get to have more options with the 4. I live in Toronto Canada and am planning on driving in the snow, but I hear the C2S should not have any problems with winter tires. Can anybody please confirm their winter driving experience with the C2S?

I also preferred the wider back of the 4 but I guess I can live without that if the C2S is a better purchase.

Please advise.

And thank you all. You've been very helpful!
Old 04-13-2016, 03:58 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,350 Likes on 760 Posts

I am a 4S advocate. After 4 TT's and now the 4S I don't think I could not have the wide body, "wide booty" on a 911. Other than the looks I love the planted driving feel of the 911 AWD.
Old 04-13-2016, 04:01 PM
Speedster91
Track Day

apologize for the posts!

My question is, at the same price, and with winter driving taken into consideration would I be better off going with a C2S or a Carrera 4 (without the S, but with more options)

Thanks!

(also any way to edit the title of the post to clarify things?)
Old 04-13-2016, 04:13 PM
Bartron
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Depends

I drive a GTS 2 in the winter with winter tires in Edmonton. GTS has the wide booty regardless of drivetrain.

My question would be do you have an alternate winter vehicle if the weather is truly awful? If you do, I wouldn't bother with the 4. If you don't then lean to the 4 but...

Unless going up very steep inclines, traction won't be your problem. Clearance and other people will be. Toronto doesn't get much ice and things are usually compacted or slushy, both are fine with either drivetrain.

Be prepared to accept some lateral yaw with the 2 but the PSM is very very good.
Old 04-13-2016, 04:14 PM
mb1
Rennlist Member

Received 214 Likes on 129 Posts

FWIW, I went for the C4 instead of a C2S. DD in Chicago and I prefer the 4WD because of the winter snow. Admittedly, cost was also a factor. In my experience, the majority of individuals on this board will favor the C2S. There's no real right answer to your question.
Old 04-13-2016, 05:35 PM
Speedster91
Track Day

Originally Posted by studlee
I'm going to assume you mean c4. If your budget is stretching a c4s I would go c2s, or a CPO C4S with higher miles to get you within budget. if you want 1 car as DD and you get snow I would highly recommend a AWD car.

Thank you for this.

I was told that I don't need it and that I can get away with the C2S with proper winter tires, but I think he was just trying make the sale
Old 04-13-2016, 05:43 PM
Speedster91
Track Day

Thanks

I have another vehicle but If I get the AWD, I'll probably get rid of it.

Is the big difference between 4 and 4S just the added performance? I guess the C2S is a better overall car than the C4.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:55 PM
911seeker
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

From my short time here, in this forum you are never going to get much love for anything without an "S" in the name, ideally preceded by "GT".

Most members being "true enthusiasts" probably means that they will want the higher spec cars regardless of more "practical" considerations, but it can also mean that they have more experience and have tested multiple models before forming their opinions.

When I was evaluating the different options, my thought was that the base car would probably feel fast enough, but when you factor in the added weight of the "4"I was afraid it could compromise the experience a bit. So, I was ready to consider only the C2, the C2S or the C4S, but not the C4. Probably not right, but I did not have the chance to test all as much as I would have liked... and that was my rationale.

The question is, is that potential "lack of happiness" of the C4 base real? Would you care? hope the elders weight in...

Best
Old 04-14-2016, 02:22 AM
KenTO
Burning Brakes

Received 560 Likes on 211 Posts

I have owned many rear wheel cars and AWD, and I will say that in Toronto you need AWD for winter. You can get away with RWD with winter tires on a flat plane but add any incline with slush/ deeper snow, and you will be messed up.

I had a 997 Carrera 4 cab I used to take up to Horseshoe Valley skiing, no problems in the snow (I had fun doing snow donuts in the parking lot). One snowfall my Carrera 4 and a Subaru WRX were the only cars that made it up the hill on York Mills at Hogg's Hollow, all the other cars had to turn around and 2 buses got stuck. But my RWD CLS 63 with winters got stuck twice in 3" snow in my driveway twice.

C2S for the track and summer fun, C4 for daily driver.
Old 04-14-2016, 10:30 AM
911seeker
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

OR C4S for both?
Old 04-14-2016, 11:20 AM
captainkirk
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

In snow you need a AWD or 4WD. I don't have the Porsches yet, though my C300 with 4Matic saves the day during snowy roads.

My friend has a BMW 1-Series RWD and he can't take it out for a spin during snow at all. One flake hits the roads, he is out of commission with his car.

Get the C4 if you can't get the C4S.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:43 PM
Big Lou
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 911seeker
From my short time here, in this forum you are never going to get much love for anything without an "S" in the name, ideally preceded by "GT".

Most members being "true enthusiasts" probably means that they will want the higher spec cars regardless of more "practical" considerations, but it can also mean that they have more experience and have tested multiple models before forming their opinions.

When I was evaluating the different options, my thought was that the base car would probably feel fast enough, but when you factor in the added weight of the "4"I was afraid it could compromise the experience a bit. So, I was ready to consider only the C2, the C2S or the C4S, but not the C4. Probably not right, but I did not have the chance to test all as much as I would have liked... and that was my rationale.

The question is, is that potential "lack of happiness" of the C4 base real? Would you care? hope the elders weight in...

Best
I have a Carrera 4 base (PDK). Although I consider myself an enthusiast, the likelihood of tracking my car is slim to none. I have a short, but spirited commute to work every day. When I was close to pulling the trigger, I started wondering if I was going to have "S" envy...but I was torn, because, I really love the wider rear...So I test drove it, in real life conditions and I really liked it....

3 happy months later...
The handling and power of this car is far greater than I could ever use on public roads. The 3.4 has PLENTY of power; it gets into triple digits very very quickly...It handles and grips so well it inspires me to go around entrance/exit ramps faster and more confidently than any other car I have ever owned...This is a whole lotta car, man!

Lack of Happiness? No way-- I am ecstatic--I love this thing!

The elders have spoken

Quick Reply: C2S vs 4