Sponsored by:

991 Straight Line

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 04:13 AM
snaphappy
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts
Default 991 Straight Line

How would you describe the straight line performance of the 991 to someone accustomed to big American v8's? The reviews of the 991 boast really impressive numbers, but Porsche owners seem hesitant to describe their cars as "fun" or "fast" in a straight line. But on paper the 991 runs high 11's right? That's crazy fast
Old 04-11-2016, 09:15 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

You're all over the place huh?

Its a smaller displacement engine. It will not have the low end torque of an american v8. You will need to rev it to make power. You can't just boot it at 2500rpm and expect it to pull hard right away.

I'm not sure what a 991 runs in the quarter mile, but I'd imagine a lot of that performance is the result of an aggressive start via launch control.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:26 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
You're all over the place huh?

Its a smaller displacement engine. It will not have the low end torque of an american v8. You will need to rev it to make power. You can't just boot it at 2500rpm and expect it to pull hard right away.

I'm not sure what a 991 runs in the quarter mile, but I'd imagine a lot of that performance is the result of an aggressive start via launch control.
You would be half right. The other half is that with PDK an S picks up a car length each time a typical V8 muscle car (or Porsche "purist") owner manually shifts gears.
Old 04-11-2016, 11:20 AM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 86 Posts

I did a few quarter mile runs yesterday (creating a baseline with my G-Tech). I have a MT and to launch the car correctly you really have to dump the clutch at fairly high rpms (5K), if you dump it at lower rpms the clutch will slip, and continue to slip into second - too high of rpms and you go into wheel spin

I did manage to get a couple of good launches and the G-Tech showed mid 4's in the 0-60 (4.64 and 4.58) and I closed out the quarter in under 12 seconds (11.8 and 11.7). Was it a thrill ride - HELL YES!!!

If you do it right it seems like more of a thrill ride than a V8, that turned out to be pretty cool. I didn't have a passenger but now that I know what to do I will test it with someone and see their expression.

Here's the sequence; mid-high rpms, dump the clutch, get a little bit of spin, rear end locks up, your head slams against the headrest, first gear comes up very fast (highly recommend using the shift assistant), and then row through 2 to 3, pass 100, move on to 4th, and then it's all over - in less than 12 seconds.
Old 04-11-2016, 11:33 AM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Received 180 Likes on 95 Posts

That sounds like a lot of fun. Need to find a drag strip in the Bay Area. I think sears point has one.
Old 04-11-2016, 11:56 AM
wsjchoi
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I vaguely remember seeing a vid of a white 991S with PDK running a 12.0x quarter mile at a drag strip
Can't seem to find it, under the right conditions, it'll run high 11s?
Old 04-11-2016, 12:00 PM
9914s
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabs1542
I did a few quarter mile runs yesterday (creating a baseline with my G-Tech). I have a MT and to launch the car correctly you really have to dump the clutch at fairly high rpms (5K), if you dump it at lower rpms the clutch will slip, and continue to slip into second - too high of rpms and you go into wheel spin

I did manage to get a couple of good launches and the G-Tech showed mid 4's in the 0-60 (4.64 and 4.58) and I closed out the quarter in under 12 seconds (11.8 and 11.7). Was it a thrill ride - HELL YES!!!

If you do it right it seems like more of a thrill ride than a V8, that turned out to be pretty cool. I didn't have a passenger but now that I know what to do I will test it with someone and see their expression.

Here's the sequence; mid-high rpms, dump the clutch, get a little bit of spin, rear end locks up, your head slams against the headrest, first gear comes up very fast [B]highly recommend using the shift assistant[B], and then row through 2 to 3, pass 100, move on to 4th, and then it's all over - in less than 12 seconds.
What is the shift assistant?
Old 04-11-2016, 12:32 PM
neuroguru
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

991.1GT3 with LC 0-60 3.0s. Haven't had 1/4 mi timed. If this excites you, you'll be excited. Nannies hook you up and keep you straight. It's very precise and replicable.

You would be fine using it as a bank-heist escape vehicle on tight, Italian streets with Launch Control, if that's what you're into.

Having done some stunt-driving in ole, fat, 'merican V8s, they are sloppy, but fun. You're not threading the eye of the needle doing 0-60, you're shaking some booty. There would be some tank-slapping in Rome.
Old 04-11-2016, 12:49 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by 9914s
What is the shift assistant?
http://www.porscheownersmanuals.com/...r-shift-assist
Old 04-11-2016, 01:16 PM
snaphappy
Pro

Thanks guys! In reviews many journalists comment the 991 with PDK is nearly as fast as the Turbo. So I'm just trying to get some real life feedback. The 991, or even the 997.2, more likely to be CPO with lower miles. Plus, there are a lot of purists who make the C2S sound like the "perfect" 911. I visited my dealer, but I didn't test drive anything because they only had 991's. So for now I'm living vicariously through you guys. Which is fun because everyone on rennlist is so nice. But if I find a 991 similarly priced to a 997.1 TT I might go for it.

PS - the approack described above for the 1/4 mile is exactly like my SS, but it launches at 3500. The shift assist is a really nice touch. Does it beep? The SS has a heads up display in the windshield, but it doesn't change color.
Old 04-11-2016, 01:21 PM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by neuroguru
991.1GT3 with LC 0-60 3.0s. Haven't had 1/4 mi timed. If this excites you, you'll be excited. Nannies hook you up and keep you straight. It's very precise and replicable.

You would be fine using it as a bank-heist escape vehicle on tight, Italian streets with Launch Control, if that's what you're into.

Having done some stunt-driving in ole, fat, 'merican V8s, they are sloppy, but fun. You're not threading the eye of the needle doing 0-60, you're shaking some booty. There would be some tank-slapping in Rome.

I am completely baffled by what information that last couple sentences are trying convey. That being said, it is one of the finest descriptions I have ever read. It sounds like something Chuck Yeager would say in a post flight briefing.
Old 04-11-2016, 01:29 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Grunty
I am completely baffled by what information that last couple sentences are trying convey. That being said, it is one of the finest descriptions I have ever read. It sounds like something Chuck Yeager would say in a post flight briefing.
I think that he is describing the rear of a car as it fish tails off the line. If in Italy where the roads are so tight the rear would be hitting peoples houses.
Old 04-11-2016, 01:45 PM
Driven991
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by snaphappy
How would you describe the straight line performance of the 991 to someone accustomed to big American v8's? The reviews of the 991 boast really impressive numbers, but Porsche owners seem hesitant to describe their cars as "fun" or "fast" in a straight line. But on paper the 991 runs high 11's right? That's crazy fast
I've had an 08 GT500, 10 GT 5.0 liter and a 12 Boss 302. Spent some time on the track with a Boss 302 at the now defunct Ford Racing school in Utah. All these cars had more low end torque than the 14 911 Carrera S with PDK that I have now which make sense when you look at their respective torque and HP curves. The 911 does not seem to accelerate as hard until the engine gets to about 4k rpm and then it takes off like a rocket. It is also much lighter than the other cars mentioned above and as a result you get going faster than you realize...deceptive speed.

On the way home from my purchase I was behind a guy who couldn't decide how fast he wanted to drive in a 55 mph zone. Using the shifters with the car in Sport mode I down shifted to second gear and hit the throttle, I went by him so fast I couldn't believe it.

My 911 does not have sport exhaust but it makes a unique and great sound when wound up in the upper rpm range. The car is just quick and stays planted and controlled far better and with less drama than the others. VERY PLANTED. Less weight. Far Better on the curves.

The interior of the car is fantastic with so many cool features. A real joy to just get out and drive.

You should really take a 911 for a drive.
Old 04-11-2016, 03:39 PM
snaphappy
Pro

Originally Posted by Driven991
I've had an 08 GT500, 10 GT 5.0 liter and a 12 Boss 302. Spent some time on the track with a Boss 302 at the now defunct Ford Racing school in Utah. All these cars had more low end torque than the 14 911 Carrera S with PDK that I have now which make sense when you look at their respective torque and HP curves. The 911 does not seem to accelerate as hard until the engine gets to about 4k rpm and then it takes off like a rocket. It is also much lighter than the other cars mentioned above and as a result you get going faster than you realize...deceptive speed.

On the way home from my purchase I was behind a guy who couldn't decide how fast he wanted to drive in a 55 mph zone. Using the shifters with the car in Sport mode I down shifted to second gear and hit the throttle, I went by him so fast I couldn't believe it.

My 911 does not have sport exhaust but it makes a unique and great sound when wound up in the upper rpm range. The car is just quick and stays planted and controlled far better and with less drama than the others. VERY PLANTED. Less weight. Far Better on the curves.

The interior of the car is fantastic with so many cool features. A real joy to just get out and drive.

You should really take a 911 for a drive.
When you kit 4k rpm does it throw you back in the seat? Or is it smooth? Just curious!

That's another thing I've heard sbout the 2s, better exhaust note than the turbo, especially when both are aftermarket. I'm still 99% sure I'll pursue the turbo, but trying to make the smartest decision. An older driver told me most guys get the turbo for the numbers and bragging rights. He said the 2s is a much better all around car. Especially for middle class guys like me. I really appreciated his honesty.
Old 04-11-2016, 03:50 PM
Cristophosphorus
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Having spent years in American muscle, I can definitely say that the differences explained in this thread are spot-on. I still have my Mustang GT and it feels super torquey compared to my GTS.

The V8 rockets from a standstill, torque is easily accessible, and the low-end power feels great. That said, the power doesn't exponentially increase during full-throttle accelerations because you're already accustomed to feeling the pull from low RPMs. Anything in 1st or 2nd gear will make my tires spin, and it's a joy flicking the car around corners (especially on rainy days) and sliding around empty streets.

The GTS? A rocket strapped onto a scalpel. The lack of V8 torque is obviously apparent (though never an issue for me), but power seems to build exponentially as you pass 3-4,000 RPM. Once you pass that point, the car builds power in a way that you're physically pushed back into your seat, and it feels like you're absolutely rushing toward that high redline.

Very, very different experiences. I love having the luxury of messing around with both whenever I feel like it.

Quick Reply: 991 Straight Line