Sponsored by:

991.2 Doors and Handles

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2016 | 05:37 PM
Rapture1
Instructor

Default 991.2 Doors and Handles

That's right, the new doors.

I finally got to see the new car in the flesh at a local dealer. It was sitting right next to a 991.1, both in black. Of course we all know that the front and rear fascia's have changed with some division on opinions on which is better looking or an upgrade/downgrade, etc. I'm personally not a fan of the back end but on dark colors the new vents are not as noticeable. I don't mind the new taillights though. I'm also kind of mixed on the front, not sure I like the shape of the intake opening's but like the new DRL's. I do think again that the new intake area will work better on dark colored cars. The center plastic intake filler panel piece also looks a bit better than the current for non-power kit cars I think. I doubt you will be able to order the new intake slats painted but we'll see and again not a big deal for most. (I happen to like my cars completely painted )

Now the doors and handles though are a major upgrade to my eye. The door is now a one piece unit without the .1's plastic inserted door handle assembly. To me this is the biggest visual design enhancement that I see on the new car, and looks very smooth, flush and just flows better. Porsche of course did not have to change this, at least right now but they did and it's much better in the flesh than the .1. For me in fact it will be the number 1 thing that helps me distinguish the new model quickly and makes the .1 appear a bit aged by comparison. The new look is just that much more flush and I would not have really thought that until seeing it next to the prior model. While somewhat noticeable in pictures it is much more apparent in person.

Doesn't seem like a big deal until you see it. Probably isn't to most people, but to me it is the only real obvious exterior uptick that I could see.

Btw, I'm not putting my car up for sale as a result, I love what I have, just providing some feedback.

.1 model pick below, could not find a great picture of the new one that may or may not be copy written. If you have not seen the car in person, hard to understand the impact of a small change like this.

Old 04-10-2016 | 07:11 PM
budrichard
Banned

Here you go!
Attached Images  
Old 04-10-2016 | 07:15 PM
oalvarez
Three Wheelin'

^ huge difference.....huge.

(nice wheels by the way)
Old 04-10-2016 | 07:38 PM
Rapture1
Instructor

Originally Posted by oalvarez
^ huge difference.....huge.

(nice wheels by the way)
Thanks
Old 04-10-2016 | 08:01 PM
carsnob
Advanced

Cool that you pointed it out... In the showroom, the handles felt different but I never realized why. A good reason to upgrade to a .2
Old 04-10-2016 | 10:53 PM
uberspeed3
Advanced

Way more streamlined, good eye!
Old 04-11-2016 | 11:04 AM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Originally Posted by carsnob
Cool that you pointed it out... In the showroom, the handles felt different but I never realized why. A good reason to upgrade to a .2
I guess the new handles appear more integrated to the door. To each his own but I would never place the door handles on the "why change to a .2" list. Also it depends on what you are driving buy I don't consider the .2 an "upgrade" from my .1 GTS due to the loss of the NA engine.
Old 04-11-2016 | 11:22 AM
LnC993
Pro

I can't believe I did not notice until OP points it out, must be distracted by that vertical rear grill.

Absolutely love the new door handle surround, Porsche need to do this on all of their models.

Quick Reply: 991.2 Doors and Handles