911 Targa 4S - 2017 - Advise,

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 01:19 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Zane S
Good morning, all -

1) All your comments made me smile and laugh, but most of all I really appreciate it,
2) I concur with all your color comments,
3) steve9, thank you so much on the chalk interior recommendation. yes, it does look stunning. And I will change mine to reflect it as such,
4) OldGuy, I love the Sapphire blue, and I did consider it. However, I thought it may be too flashy. Agree/disagree?
5) Why not get a Turbo or Turbo S? Yes, I did consider that carefully; because I want a Targa 4S and not a Turbo,
6) Why don't I consider another car brands in the $200K sphere? Again, I thought about couple other brands, but I wanted a Targa 4S:-),
7) Please note, I buy and don't lease. Have I taking into account the depreciation value, of course I did. But in the final analysis, I look at this car as something to enjoy/keep and not an asset to sell/trade at a future date,
8) Again, I profusely thank you for your thoughtful comments, it made me re-reconsider few options.

- Z
I have seen the graphite /chalk interior. To my eye it is quite boring. Good for a sedan but not a sport car. Have you looked at the beige/black interior? it goes very well with the Sapphire blue. The expresso is too orange and dark.

When will your car be built and delivered?
Old 04-09-2016, 05:03 PM
atm75
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Zane

First congrats about the move to a targa - it's probably the most interesting & beautiful 99x design (I have a 991 GTS Coupe).

Before giving any advise, I would turn things around and ask what you want to get out of this car? Is it more of a Italian GT feel, a more modern feel or a more sporty feel.

I work with this stuff and both based on that experience and on my private experience of ordering custom Porsches, color & trim makes a ton of difference in terms of how you can push the character of a car in one direction or the other. This is especially true for the 99x that really lends itself to pretty much everything from a very conservative luxury GT to a vivid-color-race-car type of spec.

My read so far is that you are looking for something a little bit more subtle. I agree with other posts on that the color scheme is too busy but believe that you should clean it up by prioritizing what's most important to you and then make adjustments from there - both color and option wise.

Here's an example of a possible thought process
If you e.g. really love the espresso / cognac interior, then that will go very well with e.g. black, white, GT silver and night blue.

Now depending on your exterior choice, you would now know whether to get dark or light wheels. The exterior would also help with the PCCB decision (visually).

The desired feel would also help you with tuning the interior options right, for instance :

A white car with espresso brown / cognac would work very well with body colored trim (would get that 60s sports car look where exterior paint work was often visible inside the car) whereas a night blue with espresso brown would work well with the mahogany that you were considering.

Etc etc - I think you get the picture

As you are obviously not limited by a cap on your budget and you seem to look for something personal to keep, I would also heavily recommend the Porsche exclusive route - especially if you go for the graphite blue exterior color. That would allow you to get to a really unique spec and based on my personal experience I can say that's something you will enjoy every time your jump into your Targa as it will feel yours on a much more personal level.

Remember that with a targa (and a cab) the interior, visually, very much becomes a part of the exterior as you hope fully drive it with the top down a lot. In LA you would see a lot of specs where the dealer / customer didn't think about that, leading to cars that look... Well not great.

Having said that it's even more important to know exactly what you want to achieve when you go into the PE process as you can really mess up the interior if you go overboard and likely get very disappointed instead of amazed. There's a reason for why most fashion houses provide MtM rather than fully bespoke services

PM me if you want some advice but please do also check out Eduardo's excellent thread on Porsche exclusive. It was extremely helpful for me in the process of goin
Old 04-10-2016, 09:11 AM
911sccab
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm partial to Sapphire with Cognac & Espresso. Ours collects compliments like lint.

It's not as extroverted as the real flashy orange and yellows,but much more fun to my eyes) than the somber black, grays, or appliance whites. But it's all about what you like!
Old 04-10-2016, 09:32 AM
Zane S
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good morning atm75, and 911sccab, Nick -

I trust all is well on Sunday with you and yours. After much reflection, and reading your posts (and others) over and over (thanks atm75). I changed to sapphire with graphite/chalk, with dark blue top.

Car will be here mid June...:-) Will make sure to post pictures,

Again, thank you all so much for your feedback and thoughtful input.

- Z
Old 04-10-2016, 10:29 AM
911sccab
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Had the dark blue top been available in 2015, we'd have picked it too! Enjoy!
Old 04-10-2016, 03:36 PM
RS911
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 60 Posts

Having ordered a Targa GTS in the same price range, I would suggest considering a PTS color. If you are spending this kind of money, might as well make it truly unique

Also great choice on the natural leather, I think a must if you decide to spend that kind of money.

If you have any questions about the options, pm me. Granted I did not have some of the options available on my 2016, but we have picked quite a few similar ones.
Old 04-12-2016, 01:36 PM
reuben991
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RS911
Having ordered a Targa GTS in the same price range, I would suggest considering a PTS color. If you are spending this kind of money, might as well make it truly unique
Indeed, a PTS color is absolutely worth the price and additional wait.
Old 04-12-2016, 07:15 PM
streetrod
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am new here, I hope I am not butting in. I really like the Graphite Blue, my dealer has a targa in stock in Grahite Blue a blue gray interior and it was my second choice but this is how I am going to spec mine.
Miami Blue paint, Grahite Blue interior and Blue roof. The yellow calipers and black wheels add a nice contrast. Too many 991's are in either silver, black or grey, the Miami blue has a real pop to it
Attached Images     

Quick Reply: 911 Targa 4S - 2017 - Advise,