991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Instrument Dials in Black

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2016 | 10:46 PM
LCW
Pro

If I recall correctly your car is silver... Maybe one way to look at it is that the tach matches your car (????).... :-)
Old 04-04-2016 | 10:51 PM
arlan in arizona
Racer

Originally Posted by LCW
If I recall correctly your car is silver... Maybe one way to look at it is that the tach matches your car (????).... :-)
Yeah, I already thought of that. And it doesn't.

Or only drive after dark. You can't see it then.

I'll get over. I hope.
Old 04-04-2016 | 10:53 PM
arlan in arizona
Racer

I am starting a new post on (Brake Dust) meet me there.
Old 04-04-2016 | 10:54 PM
vivekg
Instructor

Sorry to hear this. I saw someone else mention the dials in black issue on one of the threads when I was filling out my build plan otherwise I would have totally missed it being new to the whole Porsche thing. Later, just a week before my build was locked, I saw the Bordeaux option and you are right it makes all dials Bordeaux, though not the chrono if you have it I think that has it's own color selection.

Originally Posted by arlan in arizona
I haven't seen this mentioned and I am Fing Pissed. I have a new 991.2. Got it last Friday and today was heading out to get clear bra and window tint.

Nothing I can do about it now without spending more $$$$$ but damn. The tachometer face in the car is silver/gray or what ever you want to call it. It is not black.

So back on the configurator I go and see there is a check box for "Instrument Dials in Black".

Just looking a the pictures I ASSumed that the dials were all in Black. Why in the hell is it silver /gray.

If you order Bordeaux, yellow, beige or what ever color you get that damn color.

I am about ready to remove my oil fill cap and drive a new car under it.
Perhaps I will get over it but did I mention. I am fing pissed.

Thank for listening to me vent.
Old 04-04-2016 | 11:01 PM
LCW
Pro

I read through a lot of your posts and you seem to be very upset about a lot of options you ticked and did not tick... And the color... If I may, the way I look at this is that this is way too much money to spend and not be happy.... Maybe it is worth considering not putting any more miles on the car, sell it to fellow Rennlister and order exactly what you want.... Maybe a crazy thought, but it is equally crazy to look and drive something you hate while watching it depreciate really fast... Just my two cents...please don't take it the wrong way... :-)
Old 04-04-2016 | 11:39 PM
CarManDSL
Rennlist Member

I'm with the OP. Hate the silver as it is harder to see in daylight. Glad I noticed it on the configurator when I ordered the '12 S. Then double and triple checked the final build!

Have a Macan GTS on order and glad to see the tach comes stock in black. But for $790 you too can have another colour! But not silver.
Old 04-04-2016 | 11:54 PM
robbie9999
Instructor

Arlan - sorry to hear about the tach, I learned about it on this forum believe LCW posted something and I hit the option to have it blacked out. They also put those silly Luggage holders near your feet and the passengers, I did not delete.
Old 04-05-2016 | 01:07 AM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Agreed, it's quite frustrating that a performance-oriented company like Porsche would not only offer an illegible instrument dial like that, but force-feed it to their customers. When I ordered my 2013 981BS there was simply no way to specify a black tachometer face on the configurator. It was mandatory for the 'S' models.

Not the end of the world, but still pretty annoying.
Old 04-05-2016 | 07:34 AM
budrichard
Banned

Designers follow trends in the Industry.
Silver dials have become a trend.
My wifes Volvo XC70 has silver rings around the dials and one cannot tell what speed you are going, honestly.
My 981 is not an 'S' so I got all black matching dials.
When I went to to order my 991.2, I was not going to order unless Porsche Exclusive would change the standard 'S' dial to black.
But I noticed on the configurator the black dial option.
Must have been some feedback from silver dial owners.
I believe TechArt can supply a black dial for you.
I am considering querying them to make me a set of Carmine Red dial faces and SC face.
I understand your pain!-Richard
Old 04-05-2016 | 07:52 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

I remember when the first "S" came out, the 986S in MY 2000. One of the oft-mentioned "upgrades" over the base in the advertising was white dial faces. I bought a 986S in 2004 and it was the first Special Edition. One of the upgrades, surprisingly, was black dial faces, just like a base 986. I was disappointed because I'd been "marketed" the idea that the white was superior.

Then I bought a Turbo which came with white faces. Couldn't read the tach (it moved VERY quickly, and redline was relatively low back then for Turbos.) Never got around to replacing it but vowed I'd always order with black faces from then on. So I get what you're saying. A case of Porsche getting too cute for their own good.
Old 04-05-2016 | 08:50 AM
shake-em-on-down
Instructor

thanks for the heads-up.... haven't locked down my final order yet so changed it... not a fan of that silver-grey either.
Old 04-05-2016 | 10:18 AM
gusp
Instructor

Pic of your dials?

I know I'd be pissed too. I'm the same way. Details count. But sometimes I lose sight of the big picture. Maybe silver/grey isn't that bad.
Old 04-05-2016 | 10:21 AM
beaverlake
Rennlist Member

Just my personal preferences - but after a 981BS and a 991C2s where I originally really hated the silver dials I realized that

1. The engine gauges in any color are useless for quick-glance casual monitoring - for me, with my seating and steering wheel position.
2. After a while I could accurately estimate rpms with a quick glance at the tach if engine sound wasn't sufficient.
3. I use the digital speedo
4. I have PDK and I do occasionally need to steal a look - again an easy to read digital display
5. I have the MFD set to display engine and oil temp, oil pressure, and charge state. Easy to read.

Bottom line for me was that I ended up not using the existing gauges. I even use miles remaining at the top of the MFD instead of the fuel gauge. Now we have white gauges. Some folks don't like white because even though they are easy to read you can see all the icons. I never notice because I only "see" the the tach needle, the center digital speed/PDK display, and the MFD. Quick, easy, and safe viewing.

Just my two cents.
Old 04-05-2016 | 12:13 PM
arlan in arizona
Racer

Originally Posted by gusp
Pic of your dials?

I know I'd be pissed too. I'm the same way. Details count. But sometimes I lose sight of the big picture. Maybe silver/grey isn't that bad.
This picture is off the configurator. Again I ASSumed it was glare on the gauge and I was looking at black.
Attached Images  
Old 04-05-2016 | 12:29 PM
arlan in arizona
Racer

Well, I have been researching this further. Porsche said they would have to change out the entire (5 gauge) cluster WTF and they would have to get that out of another car. Again WTF.

I got ahold of a Speedometer shop (highly Recommend) and they told me they need the car and the overlay (face) for about half a day. He said if I couldn't find the overlay perhaps he could.

I have seen a couple of references on this post. One to Sun Coast and the other for Tech Art. Not sure who Tech Art is.

I guess the best way to find out who has what is to call. Unless someone has a link.

Quick Reply: Instrument Dials in Black