Crazy dash rattle/creak - with resolution

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 12:02 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by dkmesa
Just wanted to follow up on your question. I picked up the car last night and the service advisor said rattles are not covered under the CPO warranty, but the sales team was eating the expense. Not sure how much it would have cost, but they did order new parts (tank pads), so it wasn't all labor. Dealership definitely earned some good will from me.

And the fix 100% eliminated the rattle I was experiencing.
Thank you for following up ! The pads are peanuts apparently, most of the cost is labor. I created a new thread about my experience but I should respond here as well. Basically in my case they said the support pad was mis-positioned - the tech accessed the tank from below and he could move it around and make it squeak... they loosened the straps/mounts whatever, re-positioned the back cradle and re-tightened. Even refilled with more gas to test different loads... Squeak appears to be gone ! Maybe they replace it all when under warranty and just "fix it" when past... The good part about my fix was that anyone with access to a lift should be able to do it, it did not require heavy disassembly, just lower panels and less than 2 hours labor ! $190 total... I'm really pleased ! And should it come back I'd definitely take a look myself, knowing this...
Old 11-01-2017, 05:21 PM
bright_medal
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dkmesa
Just wanted to follow up on your question. I picked up the car last night and the service advisor said rattles are not covered under the CPO warranty, but the sales team was eating the expense. Not sure how much it would have cost, but they did order new parts (tank pads), so it wasn't all labor. Dealership definitely earned some good will from me.

And the fix 100% eliminated the rattle I was experiencing.
Glad this worked out for you. I got the same fix done under my CPO warranty and the sound went away completely.

If anyone else is told that "rattles aren't covered under CPO warranty", I would push back and say that a) other dealerships have done the repair under warranty, and b) this is more than just a rattle.

Good luck to anyone else who is experiencing this rattle! It's super annoying, but can be fixed.
Old 02-01-2019, 05:12 PM
Hmet
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Hello bright_medal,
was the rattle repetitive? Meaning: was it increasing and decreasing with the car speed when it showed up?

Quick Reply: Crazy dash rattle/creak - with resolution