Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crazy dash rattle/creak - with resolution

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 12:16 AM
stratocaster69
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, and you will enjoy it. I thought I would run in quiet mode most of the time, due to the decibels. But I find it just the opposite and I get lots of thumbs ups on the road. Plus like a Harley, it can be heard by another car if you happen to be in a blind spot!
Old 04-02-2016, 12:23 AM
rye595
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by stratocaster69
Thanks, and you will enjoy it. I thought I would run in quiet mode most of the time, due to the decibels. But I find it just the opposite and I get lots of thumbs ups on the road. Plus like a Harley, it can be heard by another car if you happen to be in a blind spot!
Back to the original thread topic, it doesn't resonate or make the car resonate inside, does it? I want it louder, but I definitely don't want it to feel less "stock". And I don't want any more damn noises inside!
Old 04-02-2016, 12:31 AM
stratocaster69
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not for me it doesn't. But we are all different on how we except noise and tone. I am a musician and what I think may be pleasing you may hate. I don't think you will be disappointed. But if in doubt, just check out some videos if you can.

If you keep your foot out of it, I don't think its bad at all! But if you are bats to the forest all the time than it could be annoying. Now back to the creeks and rattles!
Old 04-02-2016, 03:29 AM
silvertige
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 119 Posts

I had the dash squeak as well. Gas tank foam pads were replaced. Alignment had to be done as well. Had a Cayenne loaner for 4 days.
Old 04-02-2016, 01:34 PM
DerekS
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 52 Posts

Mine sounds like a jingling from somewhere in the instrument panel. Think that's the same sound?
Old 04-04-2016, 12:09 PM
rye595
Advanced

Originally Posted by stratocaster69
What year is your GTS? You say new, I am kinda assuming a 16.
Originally Posted by DerekS
Mine sounds like a jingling from somewhere in the instrument panel. Think that's the same sound?
Impossible to diagnose over the forum The noise I had was significant. Not a typical rattle - sounded more like something was broken in there (it basically was).
Old 04-05-2016, 12:03 AM
CarManDSL
Rennlist Member

Received 345 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris C.
Hopefully not too OT - anyone having an issue with warm weather squeal under the dash near the driver's cockpit? Sounds a lot like the old issue 993s had with squeaking speedometer cables. Sounds like a grasshopper under the dash. . . . .
Yup. Sounds like it's coming from the junction between the A pillar and dash on drivers side. Been probing with a stiff card to isolate but no go. Hasn't come back this year yet, but when it is warmer, it surely will.

Dealer tried to find it last summer but it decided to be quiet while he was investigating! He did mention the gas tank pad bulletin.

I must revisit this as only 3 months remain on warranty.
Old 05-09-2017, 01:28 AM
bright_medal
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rye595
My car feels new all over again today. And it's possible this might help someone down the road:

My new GTS developed a rattle at about 1500 miles, somewhere behind the driver's side dash. It was much more pronounced when the air was warmer - above 40 or 45 degrees, which made it intermittent throughout the winter. But when it was happening, it was a serious rattle that went well beyond the normal noises we all know these cars make. It sounded like something was loose deep inside the car - not a plastic resonance like most of the noises our cars make, but a metallic noise.

The first time I made an appointment, or course the temperature dipped into the 20's. To my dealer's credit, they took it seriously, and investigated. He found a bulletin about a fuel tank bolt that could rub on the firewall, and replaced it with a different bolt. Someone here had that done as well, so I was hopeful, but halfway home, the rattle was back.

Appointment 2: A tech hear the rattle clearly, and spent an entire day investigating. He said he put felt all over the interior and took care of little noises he was hearing in the doors, dash, and cowl, listening with those headphones they have. But after 8 hours, he was completely stymied. He asked me to make another appointment when another one of his colleagues would be back from vacation. And apparently Porsche has a roving set of engineers that they send around for problems the dealers can't handle - he was planning to call that person in if he couldn't fix it.

Appointment 3: I dropped the car off 4 days ago, picked up a Cayenne loaner, and told them not to give it back to me until it was resolved. The noise had gotten to the point where passengers would say "what the hell is that?" Since I'm a fanatic about this car, I nicely told them I wanted it stored inside at night, and I didn't want it sitting around in the rain.

FINALLY: I got the call today that it was done. There's another bulletin about the fuel tank - the foam pads that it sits on against the frame can come loose, or perhaps they were installed incorrectly, and that causes rubbing. Porsche has a new version of the pads. It requires draining the coolant, dropping the suspension, and dropping the tank. Took them 9 hours of labor. And after an hour of driving, it seems completely gone - thank god! After watching that 993 Turbo burn up at the NY Auto show, I was getting ideas about my car.

So if you have issues, stay with it. My first instinct is to not trust dealer service departments. And I hate having my new, carefully cared-for car sitting around a dealership. For the first appointment, it sat out for a day in the rain, which really pissed me off! But when I spoke up, they took it seriously, and they really worked hard to resolve the issue. I'm satisfied. It feels like a brand new car again - it's amazing how much this detracted from my overall experience when it was rattling.
Thank you to the OP! I had been suffering through this same issue for months, but didn't believe that if I took it to the dealer that they could solve the problem. After reading your post, I felt bold enough to give it a try. Thankfully, the head tech jumped in my car and within 20 feet of driving he heard the sound. I mentioned Rennlist and the "foam pad" solution, and he took the car in right away. I picked up the car today, and PROBLEM SOLVED!!

In my case, they mentioned the repair solution as "ATI #1403". They removed and re-installed the fuel tank, cover rear removed and re-installed, and coolant drained and filled. Looks like the parts replaced were 2 "Foam Part" (991-572-529-00) and coolant.

I'm not sure if this is only in my head, but it feels like shifting gears (shift lever) has also become significantly easier. Strange, but it feels very different (in a good way).

Anyhow, thank you to the OP and everyone else who contributed. If you're suffering with noise, I'd suggest you take your car to the dealership.
Old 05-09-2017, 12:17 PM
rye595
Advanced

Originally Posted by bright_medal
Thank you to the OP! I had been suffering through this same issue for months, but didn't believe that if I took it to the dealer that they could solve the problem. After reading your post, I felt bold enough to give it a try. Thankfully, the head tech jumped in my car and within 20 feet of driving he heard the sound. I mentioned Rennlist and the "foam pad" solution, and he took the car in right away. I picked up the car today, and PROBLEM SOLVED!!

In my case, they mentioned the repair solution as "ATI #1403". They removed and re-installed the fuel tank, cover rear removed and re-installed, and coolant drained and filled. Looks like the parts replaced were 2 "Foam Part" (991-572-529-00) and coolant.

I'm not sure if this is only in my head, but it feels like shifting gears (shift lever) has also become significantly easier. Strange, but it feels very different (in a good way).

Anyhow, thank you to the OP and everyone else who contributed. If you're suffering with noise, I'd suggest you take your car to the dealership.
Excellent! I'm glad I was able to help someone out. It's too bad that we all have to be so vigilant when Porsche should be on top of this for us. In my case, that was a serious rattle on a brand new car I spent $130k on and waited 4 months for!

As for the shifting, I bet it's just the relief of having the annoying rattle go away that's making everything else better
Old 10-25-2017, 02:28 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 139 Posts

Anyone got this done post warranty ? Wondering because 9hrs of labor at dealer rate is not peanuts... I'm grateful the car does not have an IMS anymore but all the little piddly defects are nickel and diming me to death. If I have to eat this one, I'm gonna lease a new car instead... Kinda tired of build quality issues, COVs, door panels, squeaky seat, squeaky dash, etc....
Old 10-27-2017, 03:11 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 139 Posts

I soaked the shock tower tops in silicon, yanked the plastic pad, and still squeaking... Crap... It's not always, but definitely more prevalent when acelerating/slowing down around 15-20 mph. something moving. I highly suspect the tank pads too... I'm booked for next week, I'll see if Porsche will help with that post warranty of if I have to eat it...
Old 10-27-2017, 03:28 PM
dkmesa
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg D.
I soaked the shock tower tops in silicon, yanked the plastic pad, and still squeaking... Crap... It's not always, but definitely more prevalent when acelerating/slowing down around 15-20 mph. something moving. I highly suspect the tank pads too... I'm booked for next week, I'll see if Porsche will help with that post warranty of if I have to eat it...
I did the same diagnosis process with my CPO 2012 base model. It's at the dealer now for the fuel tank fix

The sounds went away 100% when I got down to half a tank, but I don't want to own a car that I have to keep low on fuel all the time haha.
Old 10-27-2017, 04:59 PM
GregD
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dkmesa
I did the same diagnosis process with my CPO 2012 base model. It's at the dealer now for the fuel tank fix

The sounds went away 100% when I got down to half a tank, but I don't want to own a car that I have to keep low on fuel all the time haha.
Are they fixing it for free or are you eating the 9 hours labor ? or goodwill somewhere in between ?
Old 10-28-2017, 01:55 PM
dkmesa
Pro

Originally Posted by GregD
Are they fixing it for free or are you eating the 9 hours labor ? or goodwill somewhere in between ?
I am still in CPO coverage, and they said it will be within the warranty.
Old 11-01-2017, 11:38 AM
dkmesa
Pro

Originally Posted by GregD
Just wanted to follow up on your question. I picked up the car last night and the service advisor said rattles are not covered under the CPO warranty, but the sales team was eating the expense. Not sure how much it would have cost, but they did order new parts (tank pads), so it wasn't all labor. Dealership definitely earned some good will from me.

And the fix 100% eliminated the rattle I was experiencing.

Quick Reply: Crazy dash rattle/creak - with resolution