Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aerokit cup front bumper

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2016 | 03:20 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Default Aerokit cup front bumper

Car is almost finished, waiting for Xpel install. Was wondering since I will now have the lowered front bumper with painted spoiler, has anyone with the same bumper added any protection to the bottom edge of the painted spoiler to ward off small touches with the road?
Old 03-27-2016 | 07:16 PM
PatrickC23
Racer

Originally Posted by Penn4S
Car is almost finished, waiting for Xpel install. Was wondering since I will now have the lowered front bumper with painted spoiler, has anyone with the same bumper added any protection to the bottom edge of the painted spoiler to ward off small touches with the road?
I did not mainly because I thought it would be inevitable to scrape. If scraped, I was concerned the bra would rip and hang or dangle and look even worse. Obviously you could just trim it, but I figure since it was underneath, I couldn't see the scrapes anyways.
Old 03-27-2016 | 07:41 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

I saw some threads where guys had added Teflon self adhesive discs in strategic places to protect. I am considering that as a precaution.
Old 03-27-2016 | 08:12 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Just be careful and stay out of incline entries or exits that appear steep. You can scrape the bottom but it won't be visible. I would not wrap the spoiler bottom. It is a waste of time and $$. It will scrape off in the first encounter. The lip is a disposable item relative to what Porsche charges. That's why it is not one piece.
Old 03-27-2016 | 08:18 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

The spoiler on the Aerokit bumper is one large long piece that needs to be painted if ruined. Unfortunately not a throw away black plastic.
Old 03-27-2016 | 08:26 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Penn4S
The spoiler on the Aerokit bumper is one large long piece that needs to be painted if ruined. Unfortunately not a throw away black plastic.
The whole deal can be purchased, painted and installed for less than $500. Considering what Porsche charges for an oil change, that's a throw away in my book.
Old 03-27-2016 | 08:56 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

I understand I won't have to second mortgage to replace but I'd like to keep it looking good and try not to replace one per season.
Old 03-27-2016 | 10:19 PM
mmaturo
Racer

Just takes rather careful driving and angling down/up inclines. So far the Porsche hits easier than my lower track oriented R8 which surprised me a little. Do not pull all the way up to a curb or parking block in a parking lot ever. You will hit. I did put the xpel all the way down/under. It has saved it without really shredding the film.
Old 03-27-2016 | 10:35 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Thanks all. I'll be careful.
Old 03-28-2016 | 08:05 AM
PatrickC23
Racer

I can't find it anymore, but I know I read a thread somewhere regarding a padding which went under the lip. I can't remember if it was specifically made for the 911 or if it was cut to fit, but I remember someone having it fitted for scraping and then ordering an extra set.

Edit - https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...oiler-lip.html
Old 03-28-2016 | 11:55 AM
Jhoffmann
Rennlist Member

I bought some Kevlar hull repair strips at west marine. I cut them into 1" by 2" strips and applied them to the bottom of my spoiler lip. They have worked great. I did the same thing on my Cayman previously and it held up to years of scrapes.

Product is called RecRepair:
The RecRepair Permanent Boat Repair Patch is a tough, formable patch that excels in repairing holes and damage to kayaks, canoes, wave runners, car top carriers, coolers, ATVs, off road motorcycles, RVs and more. This patent pending composite patch can be used to repair just about anything. The RecRepair Permanent Boat Repair Patch is rigid at room temperature, but when heated, the material becomes very pliable which allows the user to conform the material to repair any shape. But unlike tape, the patch becomes rigid after its shaped and then cooled, creating a durable, water-resistant, structural repair that will not crumble or peel off. It is as simple as heat, peel, and apply.

• Strong permanent adhesive that will not crumble or peel off
• Pliable when heated and fully rigid when cooled
• Can be cut to any desired size and conforms to almost any shape
• As simple as heat, peel and apply
• Creates a durable, water-resistant, structural repair that will not crumble or peel off

Last edited by Jhoffmann; 03-28-2016 at 06:04 PM.
Old 03-28-2016 | 01:00 PM
STG
Race Director

If you hit the lip on its face, obviously not much you can do unless it's wrapped with film which might help with a light scrape. Underneath, some guys have put some sort of heavy duty tape to help protect against the light scrapes.

You can't see it underneath anyway, so it can't hurt. The problem is, most the times when it scrapes it hits the underneath and the visible part in the front.

Anyone have a link for these heavy duty tapes for the underside? Marine or Aviation tapes I've heard??
Old 03-28-2016 | 02:02 PM
PatrickC23
Racer

Originally Posted by STG991
If you hit the lip on its face, obviously not much you can do unless it's wrapped with film which might help with a light scrape. Underneath, some guys have put some sort of heavy duty tape to help protect against the light scrapes.

You can't see it underneath anyway, so it can't hurt. The problem is, most the times when it scrapes it hits the underneath and the visible part in the front.

Anyone have a link for these heavy duty tapes for the underside? Marine or Aviation tapes I've heard??
this is the one i was referring to

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...o-package.html

Quick Reply: Aerokit cup front bumper