Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recent test drives(gt4,991gts,991.2S)

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 04:08 PM
joey c
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recent test drives(gt4,991gts,991.2S)

Hey Everyone,
I am currently driving a a 2015 991S manual..Yesterday I was lucky enough to test drive a few great cars.The first car I test drove was a Cayman GT4.This car is an absolute blast to drive.The sounds and feel are fantastic. I have had 3 Boxsters and 2 Caymans so I do like this platform and this is BY FAR the best of them all.
The 3.8 engine really makes this car a lot more fun then the other engines that I have had with this platform. It felt quick but wasn't really over the top.Kinda perfect!!..I do think the my 991S is a bit faster and pulls harder..I would love a GT4 but honestly it doesn't fit my family now.Also I am 51 now and not too sure I would want a 2 seater as my daily driver again..This is a track car that can easily be used on the street daily but I do think it would get tiresome on a longer trip..Its pretty loud and stiff..BUT A LOT OF FUN..
2nd was the new 991.2 S manual as well..I want to be as nice as I can here..This car did nothing for me at all..It goes fast and handles great BUT I felt nothing at all. The sound to me is a lot worse than anything I have read online or in mags. Also the clutch pedal feel felt like an Audi or a 3 series BMW..I have owned an 87 3.2,95 993,07 997s,15 991s and would rather any of those over this new car..It actually made me sad.I am sure a lot will love it but for me it did nothing.
Last was a 991 GTS PDK..This car was amazing and will be my next 911 in a few years..My 991S is a great car and there is no reason to trade now,but in a few years I will and look for a 15-16 991 GTS Manual..I am still not a fan of the PDK..
It was the first time in my life I drove a new car and did not want it..Unless things drastically change,I don't see a new 911 in my future..making me think about my auto future!!!
J
Old 03-26-2016, 04:15 PM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts

Hi there, great impressions. I too am driving a .1S with manual and love it. Can you elaborate a bit more on the differences you perceived between the GT4 and GTS and your current car? Clearly no reason to get a GTS now but I am considering a GT4 and perhaps more realistically a Spyder for the drop-top option but just not sure it's really that different from what I have and will differentiate itself. Cool you got to test all those cars at once...
Old 03-26-2016, 04:34 PM
joey c
Pro

I honestly think I would go with the Spyder. The 981 with the 3.8 engine is going to be great either way. I would like the top down option as I don't go to the track.
The GT4 is amazing..The new 991 is faster but the GT4 is a lot more thrilling.The sound and feel is amazing.I hope the Boxster Spyder is similar..I had a 2014 Cayman S and when I drove the Cayman GTS I felt like that is what I should have gotten.The Cayman GTS was not really any faster than my S it just felt more raw and "sporty"..The GT4 brings that to another level..It was pretty loud in a good way..with PSE on or off..seemed to be the same.
The 991 GTS is the best street 911 out there imo..I would rather this than a GT4..I think the 981 platform provides better handling in some ways,I just find a 911 more fun to drive..It makes you think a bit more about what you are doing..Also there is just more performance in the 911..I like having a little bit more room in the cabin as well..
MY car is far from broke so I am in this for at least 2 more years.
i have loved all my 911's and was not one of those guys that only like air cooled and saw the end of Porsche after the 993..i love them all..BUT I don't feel this way about the 991.2...Its not for me!!
Old 03-26-2016, 04:34 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Also the clutch pedal feel felt like an Audi or a 3 series BMW..

Having never owned either car, I have no idea what you mean. Could you elaborate? From the context I expect it's not good.
Old 03-26-2016, 04:40 PM
joey c
Pro

Hey Fast1
All of my cars have been manuals..I like a clutch pedal that feels like i am doing something.There needs to be some effort.I have found that in cars like VW's and Audis(cars that are not sports cars but sporty)the pedal feel is always numb and light..thats what this felt like..so that feel and the lack of engine sound was a very big let down to me
Old 03-26-2016, 04:44 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Joey C, the 991.2 have PSE??

Seems like you pretty much have to check that box.
Old 03-26-2016, 04:47 PM
joey c
Pro

STG991...yes it did..and it still was not good...There was another interesting thing..the car had sports chrono..and the PSE sounded better(louder) in sport..when I put it in Sport+ it was quieter!!
The 991.1 sounds A LOT BETTER in every way..A LOT!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Recent test drives(gt4,991gts,991.2S)