Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

So which would be better, 91 E0 or 93 E10? We have E0 but it is 91
Old 03-24-2016, 12:52 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,402 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Originally Posted by Rezus
So which would be better, 91 E0 or 93 E10? We have E0 but it is 91
Octane rules. Take the 93. Our cars can handle the ethanol. Ethanol levels are close to 5% in the winter months. 8-9% in the summer.
Old 03-24-2016, 01:29 PM
todd92
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ethanol levels are 10% all year. There is no seasonality.
Old 03-24-2016, 01:32 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by todd92
Ethanol levels are 10% all year. There is no seasonality.
What are the benefits and disadvantages of ethanol from your perspective being in that field?

Also, Sonoco makes a 100 octane unleaded with ethanol that I've tried. I know people say you can't tell the difference, but was very noticeable to me. Throttle was way more responsive. Like you put in a can of Red Bull. I know many say it makes zero difference. I noticed otherwise. That's was going from 93 too.
Old 03-24-2016, 01:55 PM
LexVan
Banned

Ethanol levels are not 10%. Too risky to shot for 10%, and get it with millions of gallons at stake. Ethanol levels do vary by season. Just buy a simple ethanol level testing kit, and you'll easily see. Test takes about 90 seconds to run the test.
Old 03-24-2016, 01:59 PM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by STG991
What are the benefits and disadvantages of ethanol from your perspective being in that field?

Also, Sonoco makes a 100 octane unleaded with ethanol that I've tried. I know people say you can't tell the difference, but was very noticeable to me. Throttle was way more responsive. Like you put in a can of Red Bull. I know many say it makes zero difference. I noticed otherwise. That's was going from 93 too.
STG991 here's a good read for you:

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...cing-fuel.html
Old 03-24-2016, 02:13 PM
todd92
Racer

Originally Posted by STG991

Benefit is that it creates an additional 700,000 barrels per day gasoline equivalent of supply. High octane supply that allows a further increase in use of lower octane components, which creates additional supply. Now MTBE also served the same role until it was banned, but not nearly on the same scale the ethanol does now. I'll leave the public policy debate of using food for fuel and the true economics of energy requirements to produce ethanol to others. But since it's mandated, the policy and economics are irrelevant, and the additional supply is real. The is no longer a subsidy for ethanol either.

Disadvantage is long term storage instability, especially in anything with a carburetor.

As for 100 octane, with or without ethanol, if the ECU can advance timing to take advantage of the higher octane, then there will be a real, perceivable performance benefit. I don't know if the 991 ECU can. I'll take your word for it.

Originally Posted by LexVan
Ethanol levels are not 10%. Too risky to shot for 10%, and get it with millions of gallons at stake. Ethanol levels do vary by season. Just buy a simple ethanol level testing kit, and you'll easily see. Test takes about 90 seconds to run the test.
You are misinformed. Ethanol is blended into the truck with gasoline at the terminal (blended E10 cannot be shipped via pipeline or vessel). The gasoline component the ethanol is meant to be blended with is formulated to require 10% ethanol to meet the final octane and other specifications. There is no discretion in varying the blend ratios and in fact the 90% component has EPA paperwork associated with it that makes it illegal to sell it unless 10% ethanol is added.
Old 03-24-2016, 03:55 PM
Rezus
Racer

^^^If that is the case why the sticker at the pump reads "up to 10% ethanol"? That leads me to believe it could be less. Also what is the difference between winter and summer formulation?
Old 03-24-2016, 05:06 PM
todd92
Racer

The "up to 10%" nomenclature is there because it is legal to sell E0 up to E10. E10 has 10%, E0 has 0%. Nothing leaves a terminal but one or the other. If a seller wanted to switch from E10 to E0, there would be a period of time when the percentage would drift down from 10% to 0% in the stations tank. Hence the label "up to 10%", which allowed that flexibility without having to relabel the pump. It is quite easy to hit exactly 10%, the components are accurately metered in to the truck, it's easy to put 7200 gallons of gasoline blendstock and 800 gallons of ethanol into a 8000 gal tanker.

The reality is that the amount of ethanol mandated to be blended is so high that almost all gasoline must be E10. Blending ethanol generates renewable fuel credits, which are expensive enough to almost completely discourage selling E0. So when E0 is sold, it has to be priced high enough to make up of for the loss of the renewable credit that would be generated by selling E10.

The difference between summer and winter gas is the same as it always been, RVP and volatility. Winter gas is allowed to have higher RVP, which means it has about 10% butane added. Higher RVP is needed for the fuel to vaporize properly in a carbureted or throttle body injected engine in cold weather. Butane adds to the gasoline supply in the winter, hence the generally lower prices. But it also has less BTU/gal so winter gas is less efficient than summer gas.

There was a period in the 80's when winter gas had MTBE or ethanol in certain regions. It was known as the oxy-fuels program. This was a band-aid attempt by the EPA to force engines of that era to run lean in the winter to reduce CO levels. This has been gone for a very long time, yet there are still the misinformed that will say winter gas has more ethanol.
The following users liked this post:
koala (02-18-2022)
Old 03-24-2016, 05:50 PM
Rezus
Racer

The "up to 10%" nomenclature is there because it is legal to sell E0 up to E10. E10 has 10%, E0 has 0%. Nothing leaves a terminal but one or the other. If a seller wanted to switch from E10 to E0, there would be a period of time when the percentage would drift down from 10% to 0% in the stations tank. Hence the label "up to 10%", which allowed that flexibility without having to relabel the pump. It is quite easy to hit exactly 10%, the components are accurately metered in to the truck, it's easy to put 7200 gallons of gasoline blendstock and 800 gallons of ethanol into a 8000 gal tanker.

The reality is that the amount of ethanol mandated to be blended is so high that almost all gasoline must be E10. Blending ethanol generates renewable fuel credits, which are expensive enough to almost completely discourage selling E0. So when E0 is sold, it has to be priced high enough to make up of for the loss of the renewable credit that would be generated by selling E10.

The difference between summer and winter gas is the same as it always been, RVP and volatility. Winter gas is allowed to have higher RVP, which means it has about 10% butane added. Higher RVP is needed for the fuel to vaporize properly in a carbureted or throttle body injected engine in cold weather. Butane adds to the gasoline supply in the winter, hence the generally lower prices. But it also has less BTU/gal so winter gas is less efficient than summer gas.

There was a period in the 80's when winter gas had MTBE or ethanol in certain regions. It was known as the oxy-fuels program. This was a band-aid attempt by the EPA to force engines of that era to run lean in the winter to reduce CO levels. This has been gone for a very long time, yet there are still the misinformed that will say winter gas has more ethanol.
Great, thanks for explanation
Old 03-24-2016, 06:19 PM
vivekg
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting reading, the things I never expected to learn on this forum.
Old 02-17-2022, 10:55 PM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Edit: Sorry, wrong thread.

Last edited by The DareDevil; 02-17-2022 at 10:57 PM. Reason: Wrong thread
Old 02-18-2022, 05:40 PM
9INE97
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

This is very good..

Watch "What you need to know about fuel and additives for your Porsche | Tech Tactics Live" on YouTube

Quick Reply: Fuel prices, Ethanal vs Ethanol Free