Sponsored by:

991 C2S Front/Rear Cameras + DVR by Musicar Northwest

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 08:56 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,185 Likes on 712 Posts

Cool setup. Looks great!

What fuses did you connect the Power Magic Pro to? I am thinking of buying PMP for my Blackvue as well and using passenger side fusebox. Thanks!
Old 03-29-2016, 12:27 AM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 684 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Cool setup. Looks great!

What fuses did you connect the Power Magic Pro to? I am thinking of buying PMP for my Blackvue as well and using passenger side fusebox. Thanks!
I'll see if I cant do a small write-up on where and how to tap a good power source in the 991. Could be useful if it doesn't already exist.
Old 06-10-2016, 12:08 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 312 Likes on 260 Posts

Looking to do the same to a 13 Cayenne Diesel. Nav-tv's website says their Cayenne handle CAM specific do not support parking lines but it looks like your PCM3.1 XG-CAM does. Would a camera generate the parking lines or the PCM itself?
Old 06-10-2016, 03:40 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by chsu74
Looking to do the same to a 13 Cayenne Diesel. Nav-tv's website says their Cayenne handle CAM specific do not support parking lines but it looks like your PCM3.1 XG-CAM does. Would a camera generate the parking lines or the PCM itself?

The CAM6 is what's generating the parking lines. It's unfortunate but the company that builds the Cayenne handle cam for NavTV doesn't incorporate parking lines.
Old 06-10-2016, 03:58 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Thanks Nick. Would sourcing an OEM Cayenne handle w/camera provide parking lines?
Old 06-10-2016, 04:24 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Thanks Nick. Would sourcing an OEM Cayenne handle w/camera provide parking lines?
Yes. If that is capability of the OEM unit. OEM is OEM, right? Eh, maybe I am wrong, but if you have a Cayenne, and you want the Cayenne camera, you should just order the parts through OE supplier, and skip the aftermarket stuff.... Am I missing something? or did the Cayenne OE reversing camera / PDC not have parking guidelines to begin with?
Old 06-10-2016, 04:51 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Oddly enough, in the OEM system the PCM handles the parking lines. They're sourced over data via the CANBUS system to deliver the "dynamic turning" feature as well.

Originally Posted by plenum
Yes. If that is capability of the OEM unit. OEM is OEM, right? Eh, maybe I am wrong, but if you have a Cayenne, and you want the Cayenne camera, you should just order the parts through OE supplier, and skip the aftermarket stuff.... Am I missing something? or did the Cayenne OE reversing camera / PDC not have parking guidelines to begin with?
We deal in primarily Porsche and haven't seen any quality solutions to retrofitting OEM cameras to the car. Most of the time things like that require aftermarket coding. The dealer almost never wants to get into that and most aftermarket shops don't know the code well enough to make it happen.

Not saying there isn't a way to do that. Just doesn't seem to be as simple as one would hope/assume.
Old 06-10-2016, 05:25 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Thanks Nick. It makes sense that PCM can bus would handle both parking lines and steering angle..

Too bad there is not an easy check box or feature to activate with a durametric..
Old 08-03-2016, 08:55 PM
Rajesh Sharma
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Front camera 911 991

Originally Posted by 12v Nick
One of the biggest challenges with this project is the front camera. Typically the camera would mount in the upper portion of the center bumper vent, but with the low-profile plate we would be blocking the camera's view.

Instead we fabricated a composite mount that attached the camera to the plate mount itself. It's using separate hardware so that the plate can be removed/replaced without the camera going anywhere.

Hi. How was it to wire the cables for front? Were to get through?
Old 01-24-2018, 08:34 PM
Porsche0911
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Where did you route the front camera cable into the passenger compartment?
Old 01-26-2018, 02:39 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Porsche0911
Where did you route the front camera cable into the passenger compartment?
The front camera goes through the main wiring boot at the drivers side of the "firewall" along side most of the factory wiring to the front. We make an incision in the rubber boot and re-seal that with RTV silicone when we're done to keep it weatherproof. This is a bit delicate though as we've seen novice technicians puncture wires and cause problems in that area – Always consult a professional if you're not comfortable with the work.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Nick
Old 03-31-2021, 11:49 AM
Brian Harms
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about button modification.

Originally Posted by 12v Nick
A little button-modification action today.

Hi Nick I was just wondering about the reasoning behind adding 2 push buttons on the backside of the button blank. I am considering doing similar stuff for a garage door opener and another arduino project, and am gathering info on the best way to move forward. Are the 2 buttons just there for redundancy/if the user pushes on one side?
thanks!
Brian

Quick Reply: 991 C2S Front/Rear Cameras + DVR by Musicar Northwest