Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on Aerokit add

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2016 | 06:09 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Default Question on Aerokit add

I am adding the Cup Aerokit to my 4S. I knew that a reprogram would be needed for my sunroof after the fixed rear wing was added. I am being told by my dealer that a whole new module needs to be added and then programmed.

The cost is a little over $200 for the module and as you might expect 3 times that for the install. So a thousand bucks for this alone. Can anyone verify this? I got a great price on the kit and the painting and assembly (not at the dealer) but this seems silly.

Obviously if the module needs to be replaced I'll go to an indie for the install.
Old 03-17-2016 | 06:19 PM
LexVan
Banned

The price for the install seems very high. The other stuff mentioned is more accurate.
Old 03-17-2016 | 06:19 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

I am curious what would actually happened if you didn't reprogram your sunroof. I mean, it's not like the car would explode. Perhaps excessive buffeting?
Old 03-17-2016 | 06:29 PM
STG
Race Director

Yes, you do need a new sunroof control module which replaces the current one. I'm not 100% sure where it is. I think in the headliner, but have heard under the seat too.

Programming is required too.

I replaced the center button console too which removed the spoiler button. Not necessary, but I didn't want a non functioning button.
Old 03-17-2016 | 06:35 PM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by Joec500
I am curious what would actually happened if you didn't reprogram your sunroof. I mean, it's not like the car would explode. Perhaps excessive buffeting?
Not allow the proper aerodynamic over the rear spoiler.
Old 03-17-2016 | 06:46 PM
Mlbraptor
Burning Brakes

Does the sunroof open less ?
Old 03-17-2016 | 06:53 PM
hlvg
Instructor

That is my understanding (it opens less) but I can confirm that next week.
I'm dropping my GTS on Monday at the dealer to have the aerokit spoiler installed .

Hubert
Old 03-17-2016 | 07:05 PM
STG
Race Director

Something is different with the functioning.

I rarely use the sunroof anyway. Maybe just crack the back up sometimes. Never use it at high speeds for sure. Too much noise.
Old 03-17-2016 | 07:31 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LexVan
Not allow the proper aerodynamic over the rear spoiler.
Hmmmm seems like a not 100% necessary thing to me.
Old 03-17-2016 | 08:02 PM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

I've posted this elsewhere - fun fact:

The diffuser in front of the sunroof (when the sunroof is open) will automatically lower itself when you exceed 100 mph. I first discovered this due to sudden rush of wind noise.
Old 03-17-2016 | 10:35 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Well, you could always have the indie do the installs without the control unit and find-out what happens....

The control unit for air deflector (ONLY on cars with sliding/glass roof) is in the headliner at the forward part of the interior. Note the Labor time in the coding section below... Looking at the coding for labor, the complete Aerokit installation looks to be "479 ZE" not inclusive of prep/paint. No idea what ZE stands for, but perhaps it is "hours."

From the "Installation and Modification Instructions" document 21/12 ENU 6699 Aerokit "Cup" (l-no. XAA) the following excerpt specific to the replacing and programming the deflector control unit ONLY - and it is 167 ZE. I'll have to figure out what that abbr stands for....

60 66 55 00:
ONLY for vehicles with sliding roof=l-no. 651/glass sunroof=l-no. 653:
--Replacing control unit for air deflector--; Labor time 167 ZE
Includes: Headliner removed and installed, control unit for air deflector replaced.
New control unit for air deflector programmed.
Also note that there are additional parts needed for cars with Park Assist, cars with Center Radiator.
Old 03-18-2016 | 01:01 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by plenum
Well, you could always have the indie do the installs without the control unit and find-out what happens.... The control unit for air deflector (ONLY on cars with sliding/glass roof) is in the headliner at the forward part of the interior. Note the Labor time in the coding section below... Looking at the coding for labor, the complete Aerokit installation looks to be "479 ZE" not inclusive of prep/paint. No idea what ZE stands for, but perhaps it is "hours." From the "Installation and Modification Instructions" document 21/12 ENU 6699 Aerokit "Cup" (l-no. XAA) the following excerpt specific to the replacing and programming the deflector control unit ONLY - and it is 167 ZE. I'll have to figure out what that abbr stands for.... 60 66 55 00: ONLY for vehicles with sliding roof=l-no. 651/glass sunroof=l-no. 653: --Replacing control unit for air deflector--; Labor time 167 ZE Includes: Headliner removed and installed, control unit for air deflector replaced. New control unit for air deflector programmed. Also note that there are additional parts needed for cars with Park Assist, cars with Center Radiator.
Thanks Plenum. As far as the Aerokit it's already at a great shop being prepped, painted and installed. No issues there. Once done off the the Xpel installer to get some protection. Decided to do it because I got a great price on the kit and decided to keep my car for the long haul. Car has been flawless mechanically so I figured why not do a little plastic surgery.

I knew there was a new control unit in my future when I researched the kit. Just thought close to $600 from the dealer to do the install was painful and was looking for confirmation. After I posted I started negotiating with the dealer where I do all my business. I'll get the best price I can. It was never my intention to not update the control unit and roll the dice.

I appreciate all the feedback.
Old 03-18-2016 | 07:46 AM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Penn4S
Thanks Plenum. As far as the Aerokit it's already at a great shop being prepped, painted and installed. No issues there. Once done off the the Xpel installer to get some protection. Decided to do it because I got a great price on the kit and decided to keep my car for the long haul. Car has been flawless mechanically so I figured why not do a little plastic surgery.

I knew there was a new control unit in my future when I researched the kit. Just thought close to $600 from the dealer to do the install was painful and was looking for confirmation. After I posted I started negotiating with the dealer where I do all my business. I'll get the best price I can. It was never my intention to not update the control unit and roll the dice.

I appreciate all the feedback.
Sounds good Penn! Great project and please share the results! Word of advice- do a thorough quality check upon delivery- you'd be amazed at how many little bits are involved in the change-over to the new parts setup. You'll want to make sure nothing was missed and find out later down the road....
Old 03-18-2016 | 09:16 AM
STG
Race Director

Penn, any good body shop will tell you to wait at least 30 days before installing PPF on any painted part.

The paint is still curing and off-gassing a period of time afterwards. You could risk possible foggy paint or paint adhesion problems when time to remove/replace the film.
Old 03-18-2016 | 09:41 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by STG991
Penn, any good body shop will tell you to wait at least 30 days before installing PPF on any painted part.

The paint is still curing and off-gassing a period of time afterwards. You could risk possible foggy paint or paint adhesion problems when time to remove/replace the film.
Plenum
Thanks for the heads up. Will definitely post after pics.

STG
Shop here is great. Only does high end cars, Maserati, McLaren, F cars, Lambos and our lowly Porsches. They already mentioned the gassing out. They are double baking the parts and feel that this will allow PPF wrapping in 10 days. I'm patient.

Quick Reply: Question on Aerokit add