Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on Aerokit add

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 10:18 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Gotcha. I thought you were doing PPF like a couple days after the fact. Double baking will help.

Looking forward to the final pics.
Old 03-19-2016, 09:24 AM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by STG991
Yes, you do need a new sunroof control module which replaces the current one. I'm not 100% sure where it is. I think in the headliner, but have heard under the seat too.

Programming is required too.

I replaced the center button console too which removed the spoiler button. Not necessary, but I didn't want a non functioning button.
Was the price on the factory build for the Aero higher if the car was equipped with a sunroof?
Old 03-19-2016, 11:56 AM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by 991carreradriver
Was the price on the factory build for the Aero higher if the car was equipped with a sunroof?
No. The additional cost for the air deflector control module is included in the cost of the sliding metal/glass roof. And it probably doesn't cost PAG anything. Apparently instead of having a 'smart' control that handles any body kit configuration they swap module during build. As previously noted, there are additional parts needed if you have Park Assist etc....
Old 03-19-2016, 12:40 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,337 Likes on 753 Posts

The car is a keeper for me that is why I decided to do the kit. I also got a great price. Rght now other than a GTS which I would still get in awd i don't really want any other car. I knew the sunroof module was a given with the kit I just thought the dealership labor was criminal. I have other alternatives.
Old 03-20-2016, 12:14 AM
stratocaster69
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Penn4S
I am adding the Cup Aerokit to my 4S. I knew that a reprogram would be needed for my sunroof after the fixed rear wing was added. I am being told by my dealer that a whole new module needs to be added and then programmed.

The cost is a little over $200 for the module and as you might expect 3 times that for the install. So a thousand bucks for this alone. Can anyone verify this? I got a great price on the kit and the painting and assembly (not at the dealer) but this seems silly.

Obviously if the module needs to be replaced I'll go to an indie for the install.
I know a person that just did her 2014 Carrera 4s. She did the Aerokit wing and lower front dam. She didn't do the module and programming. But as another poster stated, I think it just keeps the roof from opening too far if going to fast.
Old 03-20-2016, 12:56 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by stratocaster69
I know a person that just did her 2014 Carrera 4s. She did the Aerokit wing and lower front dam. She didn't do the module and programming. But as another poster stated, I think it just keeps the roof from opening too far if going to fast.
Actually doesn't do anything to the open position of the sliding roof... As noted in previous posts, the controller is for the air deflector that rises when the roof is is in open position. The reprogramming is simply to "accept" the new controller. They don't reprogram the roof or anything like that.
Old 03-20-2016, 01:20 PM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 84 Posts

I may be wrong, but I believe you're all mistaken. The reprogramming kills the spoiler activation when adding the aero kit. From previous discussions, my understanding is the rear spoiler will increase pitch when the sunroof is open.

If you don't reprogram, the motor will try and lift the rear spoiler. Since it won't be able to do this with the aero kit, you'll get a warning of a spoiler failure over 75 mph.

You can just disconnect the lift motor, but then you'll continually get the warning.
Old 03-20-2016, 01:44 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Homeles
I may be wrong, but I believe you're all mistaken. The reprogramming kills the spoiler activation when adding the aero kit. From previous discussions, my understanding is the rear spoiler will increase pitch when the sunroof is open.

If you don't reprogram, the motor will try and lift the rear spoiler. Since it won't be able to do this with the aero kit, you'll get a warning of a spoiler failure over 75 mph.

You can just disconnect the lift motor, but then you'll continually get the warning.
Could be but my comments were about the controller module. That is specific to the air deflector.
And doesn't adding the Aerokit remove the mechanism for raising the standard wing? I'll have to look at the WM....
Old 03-20-2016, 01:49 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Yes, motor is REMOVED when adding the duck or Aerokit wing.
Old 03-20-2016, 03:39 PM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by STG991
Yes, motor is REMOVED when adding the duck or Aerokit wing.
Guess that only applies to a factory kit. Didn't need to do so with the TechArt Spoiler.
Old 03-20-2016, 04:15 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Guess that only applies to a factory kit. Didn't need to do so with the TechArt Spoiler.
Yes. Aren't we talking about the factory kit being added? Leaving the motor for the wing just sounds like a hack job when the official factory installation procedures involve removing.
Old 03-20-2016, 05:24 PM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by plenum
Yes. Aren't we talking about the factory kit being added? Leaving the motor for the wing just sounds like a hack job when the official factory installation procedures involve removing.
Too each there own. It wasn't required to remove and if the next owner wants to have the factory tail, it makes life simple.
Old 03-20-2016, 08:00 PM
stratocaster69
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by plenum
Actually doesn't do anything to the open position of the sliding roof... As noted in previous posts, the controller is for the air deflector that rises when the roof is is in open position. The reprogramming is simply to "accept" the new controller. They don't reprogram the roof or anything like that.
Actually, I never added in my previous post that she had a duck before. My fault! But in the situation where there is a duck, the sunroof does get controlled to how much it will open is all. And you all know that I think. (:
Old 03-20-2016, 08:44 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,337 Likes on 753 Posts

I may be wrong, but I believe you're all mistaken. The reprogramming kills the spoiler activation when adding the aero kit. From previous discussions, my understanding is the rear spoiler will increase pitch when the sunroof is open. If you don't reprogram, the motor will try and lift the rear spoiler. Since it won't be able to do this with the aero kit, you'll get a warning of a spoiler failure over 75 mph. You can just disconnect the lift motor, but then you'll continually get the warning.
The new motor is for the sunroof. Once the Aerokit wing is on the new sunroof motor controls the opening angle in conjunction with the higher fixed wing. The rear spoiler motor can be disabled or removed and reprogramed so i don't get faults. This ell all be done right I'm not planning on any half assed fixes.
Old 03-20-2016, 10:40 PM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Penn4S
The new motor is for the sunroof. Once the Aerokit wing is on the new sunroof motor controls the opening angle in conjunction with the higher fixed wing. The rear spoiler motor can be disabled or removed and reprogramed so i don't get faults. This ell all be done right I'm not planning on any half assed fixes.
Good luck with that!

Quick Reply: Question on Aerokit add