Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water DI....game changer

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2016 | 07:54 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Totally thought this was going to be Water Direct Injection -- some sort of intake cooling for turbos.
Same here! LOL
Old 03-16-2016 | 11:27 PM
Roosell
Rennlist Member

Nice set up. I just buy distilled water at the grocery store & keep a few gallons in the garage. I keep one garden sprayer marked for automotive detailing only, and rinse the toys with distilled water after washing. Bingo- no water spots.

Is there an upside for using deionized rather than distilled water?
Old 03-16-2016 | 11:57 PM
Schmed
Rennlist Member

Deionized / distilled / demineralized water is all the same. Zero (or close to zero) minerals. RO is very close, but removes about 98% of minerals. Plenty enough to use for rinsing a car.

The "distilled" water you buy in the grocery store is actually deionized by the same process (ion exchange) as your Griot's garage system. It uses a resin to trade all the + minerals (cations) for Hydrogen, and all the - minerals (anions) for OH, so you end up with HOH which is.... H2O!

It is corrosive to steel, but only if it's in contact for a long time. Using it to rinse your car and let it dry is no different than using tap water to rinse and dry. I have an industrial-sized 'DI' bottle in my garage and wouldn't hesitate to use this water on all my cars.

Keep the bottle out of the sun, and it won't grow algae. Algae needs light to grow.

Hope this isn't all too nerdy for y'all!
Old 03-17-2016 | 01:26 AM
elitex
Instructor

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Totally thought this was going to be Water Direct Injection -- some sort of intake cooling for turbos.
Lol, me too.
Old 03-17-2016 | 09:44 AM
Roosell
Rennlist Member

Thank you, Schmed.

Quick Reply: Water DI....game changer