Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally took my 2016 GTS to the track - my impression

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 12:21 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

I just took my C2S out Thunderhill yesterday, so much fun!

One of the coolest cars was a brown 930 that looked like it probably had 200k on the clock and the engine sounded awesome with all sorts of rattles but it was still ripping around the track probably as fast as I was.

The scariest thing of the day was a C7 corvette that caught on fire in front of me, the whole underside of the car was flames it was crazy!
Old 03-20-2016, 08:30 PM
sracer
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DrCGuerra
Thanks for sharing. I have my first track day in my GTS at Texas World Speedway in May. At one time, it was billed as the World's Fastest Speedway. It's only one of seven superspeedways of greater than 2 miles & has several road courses. So many rumors about what is going to happen to this track so I'm looking forward to tracking my car before it possibly closes. It's a favorite of PCA. Your story gave me goosebumps just thinking about my upcoming day. I have a different question about your tire pressure. Why did you settle on those pressures & did you change it for your second or third sessions?
TWS is good fun, and the 2.9CCW course is the best layout. Hopefully that is what you will run. If you can walk the track or ride a bike around so you can see the pavement changes, track outs and apexes, and pick up the lines. I would be especially aware of the track outs at T6, T8 and T10 in a 991 as the dirt has been used a lot so when you drop off the end of the curbs its pretty significant. We were there in November and its doubtful they have done anything to improve it.
I also have a very nice RIP TWS t-shirt from an event earlier in the year! Rumors of the tracks demise are overrated.
Old 03-20-2016, 08:42 PM
DrCGuerra
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for your insights about the track. I hope you are correct about its demise is overrated. Everyone that I have talked to about TWS rave about how much fun they had. May cannot come soon enough. Thanks again.
Old 03-20-2016, 10:22 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

I'm signed up for a track day at Atlanta Motorsports Park this summer with a group of Porsche friends. I've not been to AMP yet. Lots of experience at Road Atlanta (not in a 991, though) and some other southeast tracks. AMP is short and slow, so it will be interesting to see how much fun it is in the GTS. At least it should be easier on my brakes then hauling down after 1-mile straights.
Old 03-21-2016, 04:34 PM
Benedict14
Burning Brakes

Received 291 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
I'm signed up for a track day at Atlanta Motorsports Park this summer with a group of Porsche friends. I've not been to AMP yet. Lots of experience at Road Atlanta (not in a 991, though) and some other southeast tracks. AMP is short and slow, so it will be interesting to see how much fun it is in the GTS. At least it should be easier on my brakes then hauling down after 1-mile straights.
Hey,

AMP is a lot of fun. Great track. I've done it in the Atom, F430 and a Lamborghini. Strangely, I've never done it my 991.

Have fun !
Old 03-21-2016, 05:29 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Benedict14
Hey,

AMP is a lot of fun. Great track. I've done it in the Atom, F430 and a Lamborghini. Strangely, I've never done it my 991.

Have fun !
Good to hear, and thanks!

Quick Reply: Finally took my 2016 GTS to the track - my impression